TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

EGR and TBI....remove it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 04:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
EGR and TBI....remove it?

Has anyone removed their EGR valve with TBI? I am just wondering what it will do if anything. Will it cause the check engine soon light to come on and if it does is there anything to do to fool the computer.
Thanks.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 camaro rs 97 yoyota camry
Engine: lo3 carbed
Transmission: t 5
i am thinking of doing the same thing... the performance manifolds are cheaper for a 4bbl carb even with buying the tbi adaptor... and most of the ones i have seen are non egr
Old 01-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Supreme Member

teh easiest way to do it is to find a check valve and plug it into the vacuum line that goes from teh controller to teh egr. jsut plug it in and cap off any open vacuum ports. that way teh ecm thinks it is opening the egr, when really it is jsut moving a little bit of air in teh check valve.
teh right way to get rid of it is to deactivate it from teh chip. when ever you get a custom prom done that can be taken care of with a few clicks of teh mouse.

later
tim
Old 01-08-2003, 10:24 AM

That easy huh? Dang, I really need to get that done. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:35 PM
Supreme Member

**Disclaimer** - members of the TGO tbi forum are not responsible or liable for any failed emmissions and/or tickets you recieve for violation of the C.A.R.B. rules and regulations of the federal clean act of the EPA.

Of course, I'm in violation also .......
But like i was stating ... if you live in a area that does **** visual inspecions of your motor then you'll fail. Of course theres a way around anything.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:56 PM

I don't live in an emissions state. Thank ***.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:00 PM

Car: '84 Z28
Engine: Goodwrench 350
Axle/Gears: good guess
If you live in Fayeteville N.C. you will soon. They are supposed to start emissions tests real soon in your county. Check out the NC DMV website.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:35 PM

Yeah, I know about that but the good thing is that it won't effect me. I am military and I have my car registered in Tenn.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
the code in the chip is designed to add timing in conjunction with the egr being turned on. Egr cools the combustion chamber and needs more timing. If you dont have the egr but you have a stock chip the timing will be advanced beyond what the engine needs and there is a possibility that the engine will detonate because of it.
the right way is to disable it in the chip and eliminate the valve. I have in the past just removed it though, not saying its right.
Just that i have done it.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:59 AM

So after I get the chip put in, I can get a "regular" intake manifold and do away with that all together right? No check engine soon light?
Old 01-10-2003, 04:57 PM

Car: 92RS
Engine: 357
if it is dissabled in the chip the check engine light will not come on. EGR is not in effect at idle, your car has to be moving a set speed(controlled by the chip) before the computer will ingage it. I set the speed value to a speed I would never attain(255 mph) so the computer never calls for EGR and I stopped get a SES light. One more reason to burn your own chips. It would have been worth the money just to get rid of the enoying light.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:41 PM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Originally posted by JokerRS
if it is dissabled in the chip the check engine light will not come on. EGR is not in effect at idle, your car has to be moving a set speed(controlled by the chip) before the computer will ingage it. I set the speed value to a speed I would never attain(255 mph) so the computer never calls for EGR and I stopped get a SES light. One more reason to burn your own chips. It would have been worth the money just to get rid of the enoying light.
The better way to disable EGR is to lower the enable temp down as far as possible. It's inverse temp to the ecm (tunercat didn't change it) so I think it's something like -40.7^. Anyways, if it isn't in your tdf file I'll show you how to put it in using the TDFeditor. It's not hard and there are a LOT of other cool things you should add to your tdf if you want to make the car more streetable.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:47 AM

Jon, I'm using tuner cat. I was working with the ECM constants and the choices I had for EGR functions were speed, tps, and map. I had read where others had changed the temp for EGR and am curious how they did that. Can I modify tunercat?Now that I make power in a higher rpm range some of the tables seem limited( ex. PE vrs rpm) There are also other things I haven't been able to find in tuner cat. I dont understand what table to use to change the pump shot thing . Are people using a different editer for some of these adjustments?
Sorry, this is getting off track. I do need some help with the pumpshot tuning and DYI prom board seems to have more informational support for TPI (not as many people using our ecm).
Dave
Old 01-11-2003, 02:05 PM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
I'm going to do a rightup on how to edit your tdf file with the TDFEditor. If you think it's hard it's not. Just requires looking at this file; 8746.dsm and looking up the locations. TDFEditor lets you add constants and the 8746.dsm (opened in word) will show you all the locations you can edit. If you need help, let me know through this post. I'll try and do a good write up. Oh yeah, and remember to thank RBob for that dissasembly. He's put a lot of time into this so consider him a *** in that respect, it's all about using other peoples research to do more. If you get info for free, expect to give up your research for the same price!
The table you want to edit for pump shot is the "pump shot vs differential TPS" and "pump shot vs differential MAP". Those too tables are your pump shot and don't be afraid to multiply the stock tables by 2 or even 3 if you've got an aftermarket intake and open element air cleaner.
As for the resolution of those tables. You can't change the RPM range, it's fixed. The only solution to that is source code. Source code along with a romless ecm (no built on rom, just one BIG eprom) will allow you to expand the tables and resolution. It's not easy so expect to take a LOT of time learning. For most just editing the tdf file will get you running top notch.
There are lots of people using our ecm. Me, RBob, hmmm....I guess that's it, lol. I know there are people tuning with TC but that's only part of the picture and 98% of them haven't even edited their tdf file.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:01 PM

A write up would be great.Will that be at your site, or on the DYI prom board? It would be nice to see a note here when you are done.Here's my mods (in sig).With my cam and manifold I think I could benifit by some more pumpshot. Are you suggesting to mod the whole table by a percentage each time? That would be easy. Wich of the two tables needs the most attention and which would you do first? Which does this adjust, the volume or the duration of the pumpshot?
Thanks Jon, with out the support of people like you I never would have considered moding a FI car to this extent.

PS To people who are considering burning chips but aren't sure how involved it needs to be, with just VE table and timing tuning so far, this combo has become very streetable. It looks to me like you could get very deeply involved if you want to, but basic tuning yeilds huge reasults.

Last edited by JokerRS; 01-11-2003 at 03:03 PM.