TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Went to the track for the last time thsi year...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 07:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: Juiced 5.0 TBI - 300rwhp
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton Posi, 10 Bolt
Went to the track for the last time this year...

and set some new personal bests

i did quite a bit more tuning, and attempted some WOT tuning (rather had when you can go clear from 3k-5500 in 3rd gear, and only get 4 data points but i did it enough to get a guess as to how it was running (i basicly looked at o2 voltage, knocks, ect). anyway for what you all car about.

this is basicly a bone stock L03 (spacer, and open element are it for the engine) and a suspension designed more for handling. although i did set my front struts to full soft, and rear shocks to full hard.

i had 6 runs, i'm not going to post them all, but here are the highlight runs

BEST ET:
15.52 @ 88.3mph
2.18 60'

BEST MPH:
15.60 @ 89.2mph
2.22 60'

Those are both 2 new bests, for me, basicly in short, for those of you who are thinking about tuning, at the begining of the summer, the best my car would do was 16.4@82-84mph that with the stock chip, i then made a chip with nothing more than dataloging my car 4-5 times, and using Jon Prevost's aldltobin program to get my part throttle BLMs figured out. with that i ran 16.1@86mph. this chip, i have 6* of timing added, ran thorugh the part throttle many many more times, and did some basic WOT tuning to get the o2 voltage to between 875-950mv. i used the same set of tires, and did no other mods other than tuning, and was able drop almost a full second. and gained 5mph. the only variable in this whole thing is weather. being a little colder this weekend may have helped a little, but i don't think a few degrees cooler would make a full second diffrence. also, i did very little 'hard' work, i let jon's program do most of the work, and then all i did was some fine tuning of the PE table. thats it. nothing that anyone here couldn't handle.

hope this will show some of you guys what tuning can do. and this was how far off the STOCK one was, imagine what the guys with cams and other mods could gain from getting their engine's properly tuned.

Last edited by Dewey316; 11-03-2003 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula WS6
Engine: L03 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt; 3.42 Posi
Re: Went to the track for the last time this year...

Originally posted by Dewey316
and set some new personal bests

i did quite a bit more tuning, and attempted some WOT tuning (rather had when you can go clear from 3k-5500 in 3rd gear, and only get 4 data points but i did it enough to get a guess as to how it was running (i basicly looked at o2 voltage, knocks, ect). anyway for what you all car about.

this is basicly a bone stock L03 (spacer, and open element are it for the engine) and a suspension designed more for handling. although i did set my front struts to full soft, and rear shocks to full hard.

i had 6 runs, i'm not going to post them all, but here are the highlight runs

BEST ET:
15.52 @ 88.3mph
2.18 60'

BEST MPH:
15.60 @ 89.2mph
2.22 60'

Those are both 2 new bests, for me, basicly in short, for those of you who are thinking about tuning, at the begining of the summer, the best my car would do was 16.4@82-84mph that with the stock chip, i then made a chip with nothing more than dataloging my car 4-5 times, and using Jon Prevost's aldltobin program to get my part throttle BLMs figured out. with that i ran 16.1@86mph. this chip, i have 6* of timing added, ran thorugh the part throttle many many more times, and did some basic WOT tuning to get the o2 voltage to between 875-950mv. i used the same set of tires, and did no other mods other than tuning, and was able drop almost a full second. and gained 5mph. the only variable in this whole thing is weather. being a little colder this weekend may have helped a little, but i don't think a few degrees cooler would make a full second diffrence. also, i did very little 'hard' work, i let jon's program do most of the work, and then all i did was some fine tuning of the PE table. thats it. nothing that anyone here couldn't handle.

hope this will show some of you guys what tuning can do. and this was how far off the STOCK one was, imagine what the guys with cams and other mods could gain from getting their engine's properly tuned.

dewey,

those mphs and times are great for an l03.

you're running 4 tenths and 5mph faster than me, with a very similar setup. congrats.

what rearend setup are you running?
Old 11-03-2003, 09:33 AM
Supreme Member

Richmond 3.42's and eaton posi. but those were in all summer , and actualy made almost no change in my ET when i added them. but i had 3.08's before, so it wasn't a drastic change, like if i had 2.73's before.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:51 AM
Supreme Member

Richmond 3.42's and eaton posi. but those were in all summer , and actualy made almost no change in my ET when i added them. but i had 3.08's before, so it wasn't a drastic change, like if i had 2.73's before.
i went fro 3.08 open to 3.42 posi and picked up 6 tenths with no other changes. my original best was 16.59 before the gear swap.

the chip changes you made have you making more hp (better mph) and more torque (better 60' times) than i do. very cool.

i'm in the process of installing slp 1 3/4" headers, dual random technology cats and a random technology 3" cat back as we speak. i'm putting in a vafpr as well so i can tune it. after i get dyno and 1/4 mile info on that, i'm swapping in a performer intake.

the next step after the intake will be heads and cam. i don't plan on doing any chip burning till then. i'd like to, but i'm not capable of diy-ing it and i hate to spend money getting chips burned that will be obsolete in a few months.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:54 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by seanof30306
but i'm not capable of diy-ing it and i hate to spend money getting chips burned that will be obsolete in a few months.
that is why i posted, i literaly let jon's program do all the work for me, i changed a constant for the timing, and did some small changes to the PE table, basicly trial and error there with the o2 mv readings i was getting while logging. it is nothing that anyone on this board could not do.

also, next spring i will be sporting the 416's ultradyne cam, weiand intake, holley TBI, full roller rockers, ect, ect, ect. i should some initial dyno numbers in january for that combo, not sure how much tuning i will have done before then, but that will at least be baselines for it. i'm hoping that by then end of next summer that combo will have a 13sec pass in it.

Last edited by Dewey316; 11-03-2003 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:15 AM
Supreme Member

that is why i posted, i literaly let jon's program do all the work for me, i changed a constant for the timing, and did some small changes to the PE table, basicly trial and error there with the o2 mv readings i was getting while logging. it is nothing that anyone on this board could not do.

also, next spring i will be sporting the 416's ultradyne cam, weiand intake, holley TBI, full roller rockers, ect, ect, ect. i should some initial dyno numbers in january for that combo, not sure how much tuning i will have done before then, but that will at least be baselines for it. i'm hoping that by then end of next summer that combo will have a 13sec pass in it.
hmmmmmm .... so, you're datalogging AND burning chips? where do i find more info on jon's program?

13s with my 305 (stock short block) is my goal as well.

i'm curious about the 416s. for not much more money, you can have vortecs, which flow MUCH better. by the time you put the porting and polishing, screw in studs, etc. to bring the 416s up to near vortec performance, wouldn't you have as much or more in them?
Old 11-03-2003, 10:33 AM
Supreme Member

well, i am doing things CHEAP on mine, got them from a buddy, leaving the valves in , he owns a shop, so he magna fluxed them, checked the deck ect, all for free. ported them myself, all i am paying for on them, is to have the stud bosses and valve guides machined. so in then end, i will have about $300 bucks TOTAL into these things. so hopefully they will peform ok. most people on here are probably better off going vortecs, and they can't get a set of used heads magnafluxed, decked, ect all for free.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

well, i am doing things CHEAP on mine, got them from a buddy, leaving the valves in , he owns a shop, so he magna fluxed them, checked the deck ect, all for free. ported them myself, all i am paying for on them, is to have the stud bosses and valve guides machined. so in then end, i will have about $300 bucks TOTAL into these things. so hopefully they will peform ok. most people on here are probably better off going vortecs, and they can't get a set of used heads magnafluxed, decked, ect all for free.
yeah, that makes sense.

i have an article somewhere that gives a step by step outline for diy head porting. i'll see if i can find it. they also did a segment on horsepower tv not long ago on that. i'd suggest looking for it.

can you give me info on jon's program?
Old 11-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS6
Transmission: M12/T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Great times and mph outa that combo. Are you spinning or bogging out of the hole?
Old 11-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Chuck!
Great times and mph outa that combo. Are you spinning or bogging out of the hole?
chuck,

performer rpm fit underneath your stock hood? how much clearance do you have?

also, what adapter is that you used on the intake?

great looking car.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Chuck!
not really, i was cutting pretty good 60' times, i had some wheel spin, but tried to feather the clutch to control it.

sean, his program is pretty basic, you save a BLM log from winaldl and give it the .bin file you are using, it looks at the blm correction data, and corrects your fuel maps accordingly. i believe he posted a link to download it, might search for it.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
Thats awesome dewey, tuning is the key! It makes this hobby so much more fun. What sort of changes did you find you had to make fuel wise to the WOT ve ?

I went to the track myself this weekend after some tuning. I only got one run in before an 8 second chevelle lost it and took out 30 feet of guardrail.

forgot to take air out of my d/rs so i spun and wheelhopped but the tuning definately made a difference. See sig, mph is good for loooow 13s

details and wb datalog posted on the carb board. Still cant get the tbi to work yet
Old 11-03-2003, 03:36 PM
Supreme Member

pablo, when i initialy looked at the fuel, after letting jon's program get the part throttle BLM's sorted out. i was pretty consistant at 950-1050mv at WOT, not bad but a little rich, and it was pretty consistant. i assume this is the factory running a little rich for a saftey factor, dropped it by a bit across the board and got them into the 875-950 range, and made sure i had no knock counts (i do have knock in the 4200/100kpa cell, can't figure that out, no matter what i do it won't go away. i am starting to think it might be some other noise being picked up. i may disable the knock retard and try it in theory the knock counts should not get any higher than they were before if it is false knock.

and yes, it does make it so much more fun when you can do something for very little money, and just your time, and see such good results!
Old 11-03-2003, 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS6
Transmission: M12/T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Ah, I got ya. Just looks like there's a little room for improvement as i was cutting 2.24's with my 2.73 non posi only trapping at 83, but you're up about 90, which makes me jealous as Im only 3 mph ahead and Ive done uhh just about everything under the sun

sean, thanks for the compliment, its rough now though... oh well. I use the holley adaptor and it fits with a drop base 14x3 open element, but there's no room for a wingnut, the top of the element rubs the bottom of the hood.