TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Prom Tuning Beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Prom Tuning Beginner?

There have been a lot of posts lately with a lot of guys saying they're clueless about Prom burning for our cars. It really isn't that difficult, the information is all on this site. Start reading all the articles multiple times and it will sink in to anyone. I figured I would post up some links to the best articles on the site that everyone trying to tune a TBI should read and know. Also, I'll link you to all the software you will need to do this. There's no longer an excuse for people to say they're clueless about it because it's gotten much easier and anyone on this board can do it, it just takes time, patience, and determination; here we go:

First, start off reading both of these intro to prom tuning articles. They both have a ton of great information. Read both articles until you have a grasp on what is said in them. Then move on to the next articles.

Traxion's Prom Intro

Anesthes' Intro

Next are all of Grumpy's "Final Answer" posts. He's done a lot of work with TBI cars and is considered probably the most knowledgeable tuning guru out there. Put faith in anything this man says about tuning, because although many like to say things against him, because of his attitude, his is right. He has some of the best advice:

Grumpy's Final Answers

Next, Traxion wrote some more articles on tuning that are very helpful and help establish a full understanding of the "big picture" of tuning your car's chip. These two articles deal with 7730 $8D TPI cars but still informative for a TBI car owner. 730's are speed density just like TBI so read this just for a better understanding and a different look at some tuning aspects.

Traxion's Part Throttle Fuel Tuning without PE

Traxion's AFR in PE Mode

These articles will be a lot of reading but will give you a strong base for learning to burn your own proms. Now it's just a matter of getting the equipment and starting to tune! Software is next.

Datalogging is one of the most important steps to tuning. Free software is offered to do this on your TBI car. Download it here:

WinALDL

Tunerpro is a free editing tool to edit your .bin files i.e. changing your fuel curves, timing curves, and everything else.

TunerPRO

Finally, Jon Prevost wrote a program a while back that will take your ALDL logs and change your fueling in the .bin according to the BLM readings. Read more about it here:

ALDL to BIN

The link in the post no longer works and I coudln't find it on diy-efi, but I have a copy on my computer. If someone can host it somewhere we can put a link up for it, Thanks.

This all should give you fellow TBIers a solid base to start tuning your car. You'll soon find it's nothing to fear and isn't hard but it does give you complete control over your engine and you'll love the power you can get!

~Jim
Old 06-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 375 Likes on 288 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Bron,

Mucho thanks for this post !!!!! I am going to add it to the sticky. Dewey is also cooking up a good write up on what exaclty all the terms mean along with what they should look like when data logging. Any other experienced tuners feel free to chime in with your stuff. Dimented247? I to have noticed the trend and we need to address it since TBI modding is at an all time high right now. Good job guys
Old 06-12-2004, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Transmission: T-5
Hey Bron,

Could you email me the program. Weberw@hotmail.com. Or if you get the program up soon online just let me know.

Thanks bro,

Bill
Old 06-13-2004, 12:22 AM
Supreme Member

No problem. Just sent it out.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84' Monte
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: ferd 9" posi 3.50 gears
AZvolfan has just jumped into the world of prom burning, he's getting some pretty good help over on the prom board. You might want to check out that thread and follow in his footsteps.

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=245429
Old 06-13-2004, 10:34 AM

BmMontess,

Thanks for the link.

Bron,

Thanks for the program. I will let you know how my progress is going.

Bill
Old 06-14-2004, 06:56 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: Juiced 5.0 TBI - 300rwhp
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton Posi, 10 Bolt
yes, hopefully this week will be less busy for me. but i plan to write up and article with some basic 'how to' for starters, with screens shots of both aldl screens, and tuner-pro.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:28 PM

Dewey,

That would be completely kick ***.

Thanks from all of us who can't tune. LOL!!

Bill
Old 06-14-2004, 09:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84' Monte
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: ferd 9" posi 3.50 gears
good job dewey, I've been meaning to do something like that for a while now as sort of a way to pay back the DIY community, but life is too busy for me right now, and my internet communication skills are lacking. Let me know if there is anything I can help with.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 375 Likes on 288 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Originally posted by BMmonteSS
good job dewey, I've been meaning to do something like that for a while now as sort of a way to pay back the DIY community, but life is too busy for me right now, and my internet communication skills are lacking. Let me know if there is anything I can help with.
Any of you competant tuners who want to contribute feel free. I really want to make an in depth addition to the sticky about TBI tuning since we get so many questions about it. So speak up if you are really good with your stuff. I am tired of all the PM's
Old 06-15-2004, 06:47 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: Juiced 5.0 TBI - 300rwhp
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton Posi, 10 Bolt
Yes, anyone willing to help, PM me, or AIM me, or E-mail me. It would be good to show a couple diffrent ways of tuning, the way i do it, is not the only way, and likely not the best way. At first (just because i do have limited time) I am just going write an article explaining a little about what is going on, and how to modify stuff, ect. real basic stuff to get a newbie started. After that i will start working on a more in depth one, that is likely where having more than one person work on it would be good. hopefully with lots of explanationation. (RBob, you can expect PM's i'm sure i'll need clarification from the master Jedi.)
Old 10-06-2004, 04:38 PM

where have I been

Don't know how I have missed this part of the board, but, thanks to all who have contributed to this. i am just starting out on my Pickup, L05, TBI and will come straight here to this section from this point on. Thanks folks.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
Maybe when we get the writeup done we can start a large TBI specific tuning thread in the DIY-prom board so there can finally be a large thread there for tbis as well.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Supreme Member

That'd be good to get a TBI specific write-up. It seems like a ton of guys over there are tuning TBI cars, even big shots like Grumpy did a lot of TBI work, yet every article is TPI based. A lot of the speed density TPI stuff applies to TBI but a lot of people don't know that either. I don't think it'd be a big problem to get some people to come together on a big TBI write-up over there.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:19 PM
TGO Supporter

i agree. when i was new to tuning (6/03) many of the posts were TPI or MAF specific. i have a SD car and soon was confused with some of the postings. maybe the DIY PROM could be sub catagorized as well?