TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

TBI chips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2000, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBI chips?

Are there any computer chips I can by for my 91 rs? I know that there are some for Z's with TPI, but I would guess that TBI would use a different one. If there are chips out there, what else would I have to do to my car to make them work right? How much do they add? How much do they cost?

------------------
91 rs convertible, K&N, Edelbrock open element cleaner, 3.73, B&M shifter
Old 09-14-2000, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Of course they make chips for our cars. I have one in my 91, it's a thermo-master which requires a 160 thermo, the chip is from hybertech. Other co are superchip and JET. They cost just over $100 new.
, Jon

------------------
, Jon (91 RS too many mods to list)
Old 09-14-2000, 03:47 PM

I use a FastChip.

------------------
90RS 305TBI\5-speed
Fastchip
Open Air Cleaner
Lakewood LCA & Panhard,10 Bolt Posi-Disk Rearend 3.42's
KYB all around
Energy Supension front end kit
36/24 Sway bars
Dual Fans
In the works-
Elenbrock TBI
LT-1 Cam
Roller Rockers
SSM subframe connectors
Old 09-14-2000, 04:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
Or learn to make your own
Old 09-14-2000, 09:18 PM

I have a JET Stage II chip on my stock 89 RS w/ TBI. I do have a cat-back though, and noticed no improvement at all after putting the chip in. I'm assuming the stock programming was pretty good, so JET didn't have much room to massage the programming. Since our cars are Speed-Density any serious mods will require a custom chip anyways.

Hope this helped,

Jason
Old 09-15-2000, 12:06 PM

what kind of difference should I expect from a chip? I really know nothing about them so any tips would be nice. How would I know which one I want? Do different chips work better for cars with some other mods, because my car is basically bone stock engine wise. I don't think I want to burn my own chip because I would be afraid of screwing something up. Can a chip mess up a car, or could I just pull it out to go back to normal? thanks

------------------
91 rs convertible, K&N, Edelbrock open element cleaner, 3.73, B&M shifter
Old 09-16-2000, 08:56 AM

Well, as for what kind of difference you can expect, I guess that depends most on your mods and who makes your chip. For example I got the JET Stage II chip, and they were claiming 16-18 HP increase. I can tell you by the seat of the pants there was no noticeable difference at all in the performance of the car. My car is stock, except for a Flowmaster AT Cat-back.

In my opinion, after buying a chip from JET, the stock GM programming is pretty good. If you end up modifying your car to any real extent, you're gonna end up needing a custom chip. THis is because our cars use Speed/Density instead of Mass Air to calculate how much fuel to feed into the engine. Basically, Speed/Density uses sensors to make an good guess at how much air is being sucked into the engine, and these sensors are programmed for specific appls like cams, heads, intake, etc. Mass Air on the other hand has a sensor that actually measures the amount of air that flows into the engine, so they're a little more versatile, but tend to flow a tad less than Speed/Density b/c the sensor is placed directly in the airflow.

Yes, a chip can mess up a car, but I doubt you'll find any commercially available chip (Like JET or Hypertech) that will mess up your car.

Finally, yes you can pull out the aftermarket chip and put the stock one back in and everything will be "normal". Unless you have a highly modded engine (not your case yet) and then the GM chip won't work very well for it, so you'll have to rely on a custom chip.

Hope this helped, any more question just ask,
Jason