TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

open element or high flow dual snorkel? where to find hi flow dual snorkel (pablo)??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2000, 08:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: GMPP 350 HO w/TBI
Transmission: 700R-4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt w/3.73s
open element or high flow dual snorkel? where to find hi flow dual snorkel (pablo)??

i want to throw a dual snorkel setup on my car, but i dont know if i can get one that will flow enough for me. i knwo that 5.0 HO one probly wont...its pretty restrictive.

pablo, i saw that you posted a few days ago that there is one that is out there that keeps the 14x3 air cleaner, and is less restrictive. where can i get one of these?

i want to do a cold air induction type-thing too. by the way, here is a current pic of my motor...

shoudl i stick with this? i keep on changing my mind...not sure what i want to do. what do you guys think?

-brian

------------------
1991 Camaro RS
----------------------------------------------
Ultra Blue Metallic, T-Tops

GM 350 HO Crate Engine - Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Performer Vortec Intake, Holley 670 CFM Throttle Body, Open Air Cleaner w/14"x3" K&N, Edelbrock TES Headers, Edelbrock Victor Series Water Pump, Accell Superstock Wires, Cap, and Rotor, MSD Blaster Coil, Hypertech Fan Switch & Thermomaster Chip, AC Delco Rapidfires, 3" Cat Back, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler

700R4 - 2,400 Stall Converter, Vette Servo, Shift Kit, B&M Super Cooler

Brian's 1991 RS

Central NY F-Body Association
Old 10-14-2000, 09:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
nice looking engine bay! www.ramairbox.com
sells all kinds of dual snorkle aircleaners, the best way to do this would be to relocate the battery to the back and cut a hole in the battery tray, and a hole in the same spot on the otherside (just move the evap canister over) i think two 3" snorkles would be adequate.

If you want a route that is much much easier, you can bring ALOT more cool air into your engine bay for nearly free. This only works on camaros, jester did it on his. Basically, you want to remove that plastic cover around the hood latch right infront of the radiator. This is the same spot where tpi cars have their aircleaners. Once you have the plastic out of the way, all the air that comes in the grill can now enter the engine bay since its ramped up by the shroud behind it. You can go a step further and cut off the two "humps" that pop out of the plastic shroud and steal alot of air that would otherwise pass over the radiator into the engine bay. Jester did this, and got two peices of plastic (actually just two chunks of black linoleoum) to cover the holes from where he cut off the humps. It works GREAT. The underhood air is not just stagnant, there is a good flow of air over the aircleaner and it keeps things relatively cool.

i think a TRUE ram air setup utilizing something from the ram air box company could work very very well if executed well. The L69 aircleaner does nothing, because there is no ram air effect involved. I personally feel the difference between underhood air in our cars after a few simple modifications, and the air an L69 setup ingests is marginal in terms of power production (just hypothetically assuming the l69 was a similar design to the open element but keeping the same corny snorkles which of course its not it actually flows WAY less). But I definately see a ram air setup, with snorkles securly fastened say under the nose that come down through the holes i spoke of making a difference possibly 1 or two tenths in the quarter. Course thats alot more work and money and im just guessing at the difference.

[This message has been edited by Pablo (edited October 14, 2000).]
Old 10-15-2000, 08:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.8
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Dana 60
I was curious about this. I have an open element. Now I have a ASCD Ram Air Hood and I cut the back of the hood so I could have a cowl induction type deal where the hood rises on the winsheild. Now would this be considered Ram Air since the air is flowing through the inlets in the front and since the open element is in the raised part of the hood that the air would pass by the element to escape through the cut in the back of the hood. I am just not sure if this is what is happening or not. Thanks

------------------
Eric Natzke
91 Firebird 305 TBI (ZZ4 summer of "01")
ASCD Ram Air Hood-3" custom exaust-Flowmaster 80 Series-No Cat-Edelbrock TES Headers (coated)-March Pulleys-TBI Spacer-K&N Open ELement-TransGo Shift Kit-B&M Supercooler 28,000 GVW-Hypertech Thermomaster-160 Stat-3:42 GM Gears-Auburn Posi Unit-Edlebrock Strut Tower Brace-MSD Superconducters-Accel Cap & Rotor
-Rapidfire Plugs
265/50/R15 Tires-Emmison's all Gone

http://hometown.aol.com/J007Golden/index2.html
Old 10-15-2000, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91Bird305, if I were you I'd make some sorta reverse cowl air pan. But instead of the pan facing the back, have it facing forward over the accessories and bend the front lip to u under the radiator shroud. This way the pan will now flex and go into the accessories. And obviously leave the front part on the pan without any foam, but the sides get foam to block out engine temp air. I really can't explain what I'm thinking any better then that, but I think you get the point. Anyway here's a homemade carb air pan on a 79Z for ideas. http://198.77.210.76/tech/coldair/coldair.cfm

------------------
1989 Camaro RS LO3 WCT5 "The Hose Queen" 0-60' 2.34 1/4 15.8@87mph
http://350.StreetRacing.org
Old 10-15-2000, 10:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
Eric, the hole in the back of the hood is forcing air into the engine bay aswell as the nostrils in the front, thats why cowl induction is used on so many cars including nascars.. as you drive your front window acts as a dam and as air tries to figure out ways around it some of that air goes downward to your cowl area. This is why if youll notice just about every car has AC vents there and if you put your ac on VENT and drive youll see it blows harder at higher speeds because thats outside air being forced into the cowl area by that downward pressure. The hole you cut at the back of the hood is taking some of that air and pushing it into the engine bay, if you could fashion a way to seal the aircleaner off to that and ma ybe to the front nostrils aswell youd have a pretty effective ram air system. As it stands though, its definately bringing alot of fresh air to your motor.
Old 10-15-2000, 10:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.8
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Dana 60
ok, that makes a little more sense then. Thanks

------------------
Eric Natzke
91 Firebird 305 TBI (ZZ4 summer of "01")
ASCD Ram Air Hood-3" custom exaust-Flowmaster 80 Series-No Cat-Edelbrock TES Headers (coated)-March Pulleys-TBI Spacer-K&N Open ELement-TransGo Shift Kit-B&M Supercooler 28,000 GVW-Hypertech Thermomaster-160 Stat-3:42 GM Gears-Auburn Posi Unit-Edlebrock Strut Tower Brace-MSD Superconducters-Accel Cap & Rotor
-Rapidfire Plugs
265/50/R15 Tires-Emmison's all Gone

http://hometown.aol.com/J007Golden/index2.html