TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Low end power from TBI (REALLY low)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2001, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low end power from TBI (REALLY low)

Hey guys,

I'm swapping TBI 305 into a Toyota Land Cruiser and I was wondering what I can do to squeeze more torque out of it in the 1000 to 2000 rpm range. I've seen the compucam that crane makes and it seems like a good starting point, but what about the throttle body? Just as a side note this truck is a '77 so I'm registering it as a classic which makes it emissions exempt so I'm free to do whatever I want as far as that goes. I think I remember hearing that a smaller one will actually increase low end performance but hinder high rpm. This won't be an issue as this truck won't be highway driven much at all-just to the trail and the beach, so it'll rarely see 5000 rpm if at all. I also have a set of "swirl port heads" without egr from a Trans Am I parted out a while ago. Do these make good low end power? If I remember correctly GM put these on trucks so I would imagine they do. I know that you guys don't think too highly of them because they fall on their face above 4500 rpm, but again that's not an issue for me. Any ideas?

Thanks,

MatthewH
Old 08-18-2001, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
The swirl port heads are crap all over but it isn't as apairent until 4500. If that's what you've got then use em. The stock TB is plenty for the 305. Even for the 350's. As for low end power...it won't be as great as a TPI system but it'll still be noticable because of the v8, not the intake. I wouldn't put a single plane intake on nor would I install any 1 3/4" headers. As long as you have everything pretty much stock, you'll have lots of low end grunt. Stock Lo3 was around 255 ft-lbs I believe and the torque is high just around the stock stall converter speed (~1600rpm). If you're on a tight budget then do the swap. You can always swap in a 350 later just consentrate on how you're going to secure the small block to the chassis!!! That's priority number 1, then worry about low end. Don't change the cam out if you plan on using the swirl port heads. The Lt1 cam might be a nice improvement but I wouldn't waste my money on rocker arms and a cam unless I were using some decent heads. I guess I just don't believe in a forged crank 4 bolt main with forged pistons and h-beam connecting rods for a 155hp Lg4 305. It just seems like a waste of money because the money isn't going to yeild enough of a hp increase.
Keep us updated on the progress.

------------------
, Jon (350 TBI!)
91 Red My website