TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Rough idle for 5 seconds with black smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Its posi.... :)
Rough idle for 5 seconds with black smoke

ok so i have recently picked up a 1989 camaro rs with the 305 tbi/auto.

I am having a weird issue when i first start the car. When i first start it it basically loops and misses bad and black smoke pours out my exhaust. only last for about 5 seconds or so then the car idles up and runs fine.

The wierdest part about it once it starts i can lightly rev the motor and it will still miss and jump around. if i keep reving it it will sit there and pour out black smoke. if i start it without hitting the gas it only does it for about 5 seconds. The SES light does come on after the 5 seconds and stays on.

now i can see that its running a little rich after the idle picks up but it runs smooth and idles fine in gear. the problem persist rather im starting it for the first time or i have driven miles and stop and start it. i have rebuild the TBI unit it was pretty clean to start. replaced the fuel pressure regulator.

any sugestions on where to start would be helpful lol.

now on a side note the guy i bought the car from worked at a dealer and they degreased the engine and sprayed on that almost like tire shine stuff all over everything and i mean everything lol. may that have fried some sensors?
Old 06-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 IROC
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Rough idle for 5 seconds with black smoke

First you need to extract the code the ECM is setting when it turns the check engine light on. I can tell you though, it's probably a coolant temp sensor.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:09 PM

thanks i`ll start there i have found that the gauge doesnt work on the dash for the coolant so i`ll check it out thanks.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:29 AM

update.... i had some time yesterday before the car show to check under the hood some and found the problem.

The vacuum line running to the map sensor was completely off. not only off but removed in general.

seems the previous owner had a leak in the small 3 way check valve in the rear of the motor and instead of going to the autoparts store and spending 3 dollars on a new one the felt that orange silicone would fix the problem and they removed the map sensor vac lines with it.....

car runs great now except for the dead battery im having lol oh well thats an easy fix.