TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

which TBI

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 RS convertible
Engine: 330 hp vortec 350. TBI
Transmission: 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Moiser 12 bolt/Wilwood disc's
Re: which TBI

I know you all said put a shift kit in the tranny. A guy over in the tranny form says I should just put a Corvette sol in it that should do the job. I would have hated to waist the 84 on the shift kit. What should I do?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone

i put a shift kit into any performance car. it is something you wont regret. the key is putting a good shift kit. transgo is the one most ppl here like. I have a superior as the tranny builder said he preferred that one. I like it.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:37 PM

Is there a problem starting, tuning, and then driving my car to the exhaust shop after I install the engine with open headers?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:52 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only if police stop you. Or neighbor calls police!

I suppose if it was -10dF it could warp something in head. Maybe not.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:00 PM

Thanks Ronny. I have asked that question with no answer. It's only 15 miles and it's all rual and I have done it befor I was just concerned about the O2 sensor. Should I put 3" on it? I am going to buy a high flow cat and I am still thinking what muffler. Give me some input on both.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:16 AM
TGO Supporter

I have no idea on the exhaust. I have duals with crossover no cat at 2.25 in. I would search to see what others are doing.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

I like the sound and flow of Dynomax mufflers. Since they all have a different sound and everyone has a different like in what the sound should be, it is hard to discuss this. Although I wouldn't go with Flowmaster as they don't flow that well.

They may be some sound clips on the exhaust board here.

As for the drive and the O2 sensor, if you unplug it the ECM won't use it. Likely set a code for it, but can ignore it until the exhaust is on.

RBob.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:04 AM

I'm almost ready to put the 350 in. Looking at the heater hoses has me confused. There so many going every which way. I am worryed about the EBL it is very confusing. I am sure though with a few phone calls and several email I hope to figure it out. But I can't help but think I waisted the money. I could have just had a chip burned and be done with it now I have to completly learn how it works and what to do and I'm no computer wiz. I haven't even oped it up yet. I have installed the softwhere on my lap top and I'm very confused. I guess I am suposed to be able to delete my smog pump but I don't see it. Like anything theres a learning curve. Anyone in the PDX area want to make some money I am looking for someone to help me or hell do it all.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 K3500 Fleetside
Engine: RAT *tbi* EBL
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 3.73-Dana 60

Easy big guy we are here to help.

Check RBob's site for your AIR configuration, it is not done in TP. You need to spend some quiet time reading there if you missed that.

Best deal is if you don't try to rush this, always calm in the face of a storm.

Last edited by xch3no2; 08-20-2012 at 01:43 AM. Reason: immatard
Old 08-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Trans am
Engine: built 360 TBI
Transmission: built 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10bolt/3.23

Originally Posted by gregl316
I'm almost ready to put the 350 in. Looking at the heater hoses has me confused. There so many going every which way. I am worryed about the EBL it is very confusing. I am sure though with a few phone calls and several email I hope to figure it out. But I can't help but think I waisted the money. I could have just had a chip burned and be done with it now I have to completly learn how it works and what to do and I'm no computer wiz. I haven't even oped it up yet. I have installed the softwhere on my lap top and I'm very confused. I guess I am suposed to be able to delete my smog pump but I don't see it. Like anything theres a learning curve. Anyone in the PDX area want to make some money I am looking for someone to help me or hell do it all.
Not sure if you refer to the actual AIR pump or the AIR pump settings in the calibration/.bin, if its about the calibration then nothing to do there just unplug the 2 connectors on top of the AIR pump.

Did not someone make a youtube video with basic EBL operation?
Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 PM

I don't understand. You told-me/mentioned/posted that you were going to install the EBL Flash ECM with the stock engine. Which would provide experience with it prior to the install of the built engine.

Then install the modified engine.

> But I can't help but think I waisted the money. I could have just
> had a chip burned and be done with it

Let me know how that works out...

RBob.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:10 AM

I am just a little overwhelmed I am taking a little vacation I'll get my head on straight and get back on track. I'll install it on the engine now and see if I can do it. I hope it's as easy as everyone tells me. I just have so much planed to do and the time is getting close. The old 305 is starting to use water and blows blue smoke at start up. This swap is just a little much for me. I have done several engine change outs. Went from small block to big block from Pontiac to Olds with no worries. I have gotten rid of a computer but never work with one. The engine is easy I can tighten a bolt. But this one is the whole deal. From the fuel pump, transmission which I want to freshen up and maybe put a stall converter in it while I put the shift kit in. Then there is the engine. Thats easy but I now have a computer to deal with then figure out what fuel pressure to run. It is just to much for me to deal with all at once. I also have a lot of **** happening in my personal and professional life rite now. When the time comes to jump in with both feet I hope I can count on everyone for help. Every one here has helped me get this far. I won't be so negative anymore
Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 PM

Car: 89 K3500 Fleetside
Engine: RAT *tbi* EBL
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 3.73-Dana 60

Well for goodness sake take a copy of your calibration document with you!

You don't have to understand it all at once, but get reading it.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Trans am
Engine: built 360 TBI
Transmission: built 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10bolt/3.23

Thats easy but I now have a computer to deal with then figure out what fuel pressure to run. It is just to much for me to deal with all at once.
First step is to install the EBL program and the Tuner Pro editor program on the laptop.

Then go here http://dynamicefi.com/Tune_Intro.php
Follow the "The TunerPro Editor:" instructions unthil you selected the EBL XDF definition file in tunerpro.

Then skipp/scroll all the way down to "The EBL What's Up Display:" and follow the intructions unthil everything is working.

No need to worry about FP for now.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:59 PM
TGO Supporter

then figure out what fuel pressure to run.
We can handle that for you. Need to know approx HP of engine, CID of engine, and what size fuel injectors you have.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:14 PM

You guys are great. The EBL is completely overwhelming me but I know with help from everyone I'll figure it out. Rite now I am going to pull my ECM and get to know it a little better. RJ is walking me through it one step at a time. I am going to get my car running on the EBL before I actually do the swap.
When that's done I am going to install the FP and then tackle the shift kit and corvette servo before the engine swap. Once I drop the pan and can tell if it needs rebuilt I will buy a heavy duty rebuild kit with a 22 to 2500 stall converter. I am toying with the idea of putting some gears in the rear end I was thinking around 350's. You did say my stock TBI unit can handle the extra FP rite?
When the time comes for exhaust should I run a CAT? I don't have smog checks. I am going with 3" but am tore on the muffler. I have a Magnaflow CAT back system on my 98 WS6 TA and it sounds great. I wouldn't mind a little loader and a little more throaty. I have an excellent exhaust guy and he will make the exhaust w/out the cat it just has to be after hours.

I am sure hoping after this is all done the Camaro will out run my TA. I am throwing out ideas so everyone can tell me if this will all go together or they won't.

I have tried other forms and just haven't gotten any answers. That is why I am asking all my questions to everyone here. I value everyone's knowledgeable feedback and not just an opinion.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:53 AM

Dropped the car off this morning. The talk is over. Now I am alittle scared with the tuning issues. I have gotten my thoughts all screwed up. I got to thinking about everything else and got gears bearings and seals for the rear end. A complete tranny rebuild kit with hi stall converter corvette servo and shift kit by transgo. But none of that is going to do a thing if I can't tune it. RBob is trying to walk me through it but it still may be over my head. I have a guy helping me that does this for a living we should be able to at the least get it running. Now is that when I mess with thee fuel pressure? It has an AFPR set at 25 that should get me going.

You all have babied me this far now I am wherein big boy pants and I am putting up not just talking about it.

I have tried asking other questions to other sights on this form but I didn't get any answers. Us TBI guys stay together. I have several questions but I will try asking them one at a time.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:50 AM

> Well I have a GM performance Vortec 350 that was advertised at 330Hp

Likely has a flat tappet cam. Which if the engine is new will need to be broken in.

As such don't make too many other changes such as increasing the fuel pressure. Just want/need to get the engine up and running and the cam broken in.

Then you can make other changes. As for start up, you could copy or use the Vortec SA calibration. Or, just crank the distributor some to get the SA up around 34* BTDC during cam break in.

I always have a timing light connected when firing up an engine for the first time. Comes in handy to make sure the SA is OK during the initial run time. Leave the distributor clamp tight enough that the distributor won't move on it's own, but loose enough that you can turn it by hand.

RBob.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:07 AM

motor is all ready broken in. I should flash the EBL with the pre-programed program for a vortec. Should I set the timing at zero with the plug un-plug? I am not sure what plug but I assume it's one of the ones that plug into the distributor. I am looking forward to figuring out the programing. I don't have that fuel pressure tester gauge but the TBI has the fitting.