TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Now runs, new problem

Old 03-28-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now runs, new problem

As many know I've finally have my car running a 92 camaro rs 305 but I've seem to run into another problem. The vehicle doesn't have any power, you give it throttle and it'll pick up but after too much it gives out as if you are asking for too much. My mechanic is all out of options and believes it's an electrical problem and at that point he stops since he doesn't mess with the wiring and what not. I would have to get an electrician of some sort to look through everything but at that the moment I would like to know if anyone has ever had this problem or what to look at or where to start.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Now runs, new problem

Check the base timing, should be set to 0* BTDC, some set it to 4* BTDC for a little more power. Once done checking/setting the base timing, and reconnecting the EST/BYPASS connector ans restarting the engine, check that the timing is advancing. That is the timing mark on the damper moves toward the passenger side of the vehicle.

Also check the fuel pressure while the engine is under a load.

RBob.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

When my Trailblazer had poor power and wouldn't accept throttle, the catalyst was plugged.

What is the cranking compression of all eight?
What is the idle vacuum?
How does the amount of vacuum change as you add throttle?
What does the scan tool show for TPS voltage as the throttle is opened?
What does the scan tool show for O2 voltage as the throttle is opened?
What is the fuel pressure as the throttle is opened?

Compression tester, vacuum gauge, scan tool, fuel pressure tester--the answer is in those diagnostic tools.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:37 AM

I'll make sure to do everything thank you
Old 03-30-2017, 10:48 AM

My mechanic told me he timed it, but the weird thing is, is that it was running just a few days ago, he was messing with the distributor going back and forth till the car ran and then he told me he needed to finish timing it by my guess he needed to base time it, but once he did it stopped working again. Now it cranks and cranks and once again won't start. I have a good feeling the timing is really off. Do I tell him to re position the distributor to the #1 cylinder before TDC and what not or just do the wire disconnect and put basee timing then shut off the car disconnect battery wait connect wire start back up ?
Old 04-05-2017, 05:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

Can you reach in and turn your distributor by hand? I'm starting to wonder if you don't have the hold down tab or it isn't tight and lets the timing stray.
Just taking a wild guess??
and is all the wiring between the dist and coil in good shape?
Old 04-05-2017, 07:20 PM

The wiring is good, and how would I check the timing tab ? And I just believe the timing is really off. Cause as soon as the mechanic began to mess with it again the car just went south
Old 04-05-2017, 07:40 PM
Supreme Member

I mean the little bracket held down by one bolt that keeps the distributor locked into place. It sounds kinda like your timing keeps getting off so I just wondered. Can you turn your dist by hand without loosening the bolt? And I wondered about the wiring because when you say the mechanic moves it something screws up. Intermittent problems often indicate faulty wiring
Old 04-05-2017, 07:48 PM

Oh well yeah I can move it but the bolt is not tightened down. But maybe the mechanic didn't tighten it once he actaully timed it. It's been a pain to get the timing down. For now I'm just trying to get it running again cause it was fine but it wouldn't accelerate much which he said was due to the timing. So I really got to fix this problem
Old 04-05-2017, 08:47 PM
Supreme Member

That could actually be your whole problem. Turn it a little to the left and tighten it down then try and start. Keep moving it around til it starts. After it warms up you can time it right and tighten the bracket down good. At least that's a start
Old 04-05-2017, 08:52 PM

How exactly is the timing done. Once I guess find the sweet spot since I think that's where it was but they moved it now it won't run
Old 04-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

Up at the top of the page there is a How-Tos section. Lots of good stuff in there you should read. Here's an article from there
https://www.thirdgen.org/settingtiming/
You'll just have to resort to trial and error to get it to run. Get some kind of a manual from your parts store too if you can
Old 04-05-2017, 10:53 PM

Alrighty thanks Henry!

Search this Thread