355 9c1 - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

355 9c1

Old 12-10-2018, 09:21 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 79
Car: 1993 Caprice
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
355 9c1

Building a 355 for my Caprice 1993. Had gotten a free block from a 1995 HD pickup. Iíve gotten it machined already 4.030 bore. He said he touched up the deck. I planned to reuse rods-donít know if thatís bad thing. The crank I knife edged- considering getting a scat crank since Iíll need a balance job anyway. The Pistons I have are H597DCP30. What do I need to get this bottom end together
IndyL03 is offline  
Old 12-10-2018, 02:48 PM
  #2  
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,029
Re: 355 9c1

You'll have excess squish/quench distance unless you deck the block some more. Those pistons are already .010 short, and even at full height you'd need to deck the block. When it was me, I had .025 cut off the decks and then used a .039 gasket. If I were doing this again I'd go with a thinner gasket (.028-ish) and cut a little less off of the block. You're looking for .035--.040 quench distance. NOT MORE than .045.

Re-using the rods is a fine idea. Despite the popularity of ARP rod bolts, I don't expect you're going to make enough power or spin enough RPM to really justify that. I'd have the machine shop CHECK them for roundness, machine them only if needed, and call it a day.

For the record, there's nothing wrong with GM bolts. You don't need ARP fasteners for this build. I put ARP head bolts in my build because I didn't have a complete set of original bolts. Re-used main and rod bolts, oil pan, damper, front-cover bolts, rear main seal adapter bolts, etc.

Did they hone the block with a torque plate? If not, that was an oversight.

Why buy a "new" stock-stroke crank? You get a crank that has a 3.5" stroke, you won't have to cut the decks so much. How much did you carve off the counterweights? Enough that you'll need heavy metal to balance? I'd have the parts you already own balanced, and if the crank you whittled turns out to be a problem, have the machine shop sell you another OEM core.

Moly-faced rings with widths to suit the piston grooves. ( 2.00mm x 1.50mm x 4.00mm) Cam bearings rod bearings, and main bearings. A block-plug kit that has the larger oil galley plugs, which you will have to drill .030 hole in to vent just like OEM. (At least, the blocks I've seen recently needed the larger plugs by the camshaft in front, and venting the two lifter-galley plugs in front is always a good idea.) I always install a block heater, but maybe you don't need that where you live.

Last short-block I built I re-used the oil pump after sanding the main body to reduce gear-to-end plate clearance. I also re-used the timing set, the one I had was in beautiful condition and put the camshaft in the right position--checked with dial indicator and degree wheel. If your parts are missing, you'll need all that. My oil pump has the 3/4" pickup tube, if yours doesn't, you'd likely want to upgrade to a pump that accepts the 3/4" pickup tube 5/8" pickup tubes work...but why use one now that the 3/4" tube is readily available.

I bought two aftermarket flexplates. Both were WAY off in terms of balance. If you have the rest of the engine balanced, make sure they check the flexplate, and GET THE BALANCE SPEC's FOR THE FLEXPLATE so you can replace it later if need be.

Your timing cover/timing pointer will determine what torsional damper you need. Damper diameters differ, the angle the timing indicator groove is machined differs, so the damper and the timing pointer need to be a matched set AND they need to allow timing the engine with whatever accessories you plan to bolt to the front of the engine. The damper hub will have a groove worn into it by the front seal. Fel-Pro, Timken, and others sell a sheetmetal sleeve that covers the groove. Under $10.

Do you have the correct knock sensor? I put a brass draincock in the other water jacket drain hole. I'm not fond of the steel plugs that are typically used.

Got proper engine mount brackets? Good engine mounts? I tried using Polyurethane engine mount cushions, but they didn't fit the clamshell properly. Aftermarket engine mount clamshells are stamped from THIN THIN THIN sheet metal. I put the originals back in, and I wasn't happy about it.




I like the one-piece oil pan gasket. I get mine in the Fel-Pro bottom-end kit:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-cs8510
but depending on your build, you might want a complete gasket kit with head gasket, valve stem seals, valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, etc.

What oil filter adapter are you using? Be sure to use the correct adapter gasket(s)

Stock Caprice oil pan, with two holes on the side--a drain plug hole, and an oil-level sensor hole? You might need the plug for the oil level sensor hole if there's no oil level sensor. I don't have the part number handy. Gonna have to research that. The Caprice and the truck probably use the same pan except for the second hole, along with the same windage tray.

I took the OEM roller-lifters apart one at a time for cleaning and inspection. DO NOT mix-up the parts. The plunger and the lifter body are select-fit and must be kept together. The lifters are essentially little oil filters, they were full of sludgy dreck. Does your pickup engine have roller lifters? Many (most? all?) of the trucks were flat-tappet until '96. GM sold a kit that included the spider, the lifter alignment dogbones, the spider bolts, and the lifters. Any machine shop can sell you used pieces if you don't already have 'em. You might have to tap the holes for the spider bolts.

'Bout all that leaves is camshaft. There's a whole world of possibilities. Depending on your application, you may or may not need a fuel pump lobe (does the block have a machined fuel pump pad?) and you'll want a melonized distributor gear. All the small-diameter HEIs are melonized, the large-cap HEIs will need a specific melonized gear.

Last edited by Schurkey; 12-10-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Schurkey is offline  
Old 12-10-2018, 02:53 PM
  #3  
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,029
Re: 355 9c1

As far as the top end goes, you'll want to select a head gasket that is compatible with your cylinder heads. If you're using a TBI intake manifold, the intake gaskets are "special" because the rear water passage is blocked except for a steam-hole on each side. If you're using a non-TBI intake, use intake gaskets with the full-flow hole at the rear or you'll have a weak heater.



If you're using non-stock heads, use either the self-aligning rocker arms OR pushrod guideplates, NOT BOTH. If you use pushrod guideplates, you'll need hardened pushrods.

Make sure the valve guides/valve seals have clearance for the camshaft lift you select.

I know that some TBI cars use a special distributor. Something about the diameter of the distributor body where it goes through the intake manifold. I don't have details. Be aware that there are some differences in intake manifolds and distributor bodies.

Last edited by Schurkey; 12-10-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Schurkey is offline  
Old 12-11-2018, 07:15 AM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 79
Car: 1993 Caprice
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Re: 355 9c1

The machinist did torque hone, new freezeplugs, cam bearings, light polished crank journals, sized the rods, pressed out old truck dish piston, align honed main caps, gave a quick paint job too.

the guy used to race tbi boats or something-I remember the guyís eyes lighting up saying to use Vortec heads.
The part he recommended for pistons were H631cp30- Will .028 GM gasket work? so Iíll send the other pistons back to summit. He didnít think I needed decked just touched up-the motor didnít even have 100k and only .001 of wear. I got for free since my buddy only needed the transmission for his P/U truck.
My crank I ground a v at each leading edge- Iíll try to roll with it to be balanced.Scat makes a stock crank for about same price or less than OE with leading edge optimized for oil control. My pan has oil level and oil drain plug stock and engine has a flat windage screen but Iíd like something better and a crank scraper.
IndyL03 is offline  
Old 12-11-2018, 11:31 AM
  #5  
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,029
Re: 355 9c1

Originally Posted by IndyL03 View Post
The machinist did torque hone, new freezeplugs, cam bearings, light polished crank journals, sized the rods, pressed out old truck dish piston, align honed main caps, gave a quick paint job too.

the guy used to race tbi boats or something-I remember the guyís eyes lighting up saying to use Vortec heads.

Vortec heads on a TBI application requires a SEVERELY expensive (~$500) intake manifold, PLUS a special high-temperature exhaust hose from the special exhaust manifold to the intake manifold to keep the EGR functional. Or you fabricate an exhaust passage into a set of headers, or whatever you're using on the driver's side of the engine. Or you delete the EGR, and possibly face the Emissions Police. Any Vortec intake manifold will need fabrication to the throttle cable/cruise control cable/transmission throttle valve cable bracket to get it to fit. Depending on the Vortec manifold, you'll be fabricating some way to connect the heater hose, the bracket that holds the MAP sensor and EGR solenoid, and the braces for A/C and/or alternator (depending on what your vehicle requires, and how the Vortec manifold is designed.)

I have some Vortec heads, which I considered using. I couldn't get myself to buy a five hundred dollar intake manifold. I also considered trying the Summit TBI aluminum cylinder heads...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108
...which would allow the stock intake manifold, and essentially zero fabrication.

In the end, I bolted-on a pair of old aluminum heads I had lying around. I'm using a ZZ4-style intake manifold and making a bunch of modifications to get the EGR, heater, and original brackets to work.

Originally Posted by IndyL03 View Post
The part he recommended for pistons were H631cp30- Will .028 GM gasket work? so Iíll send the other pistons back to summit. He didnít think I needed decked
What is the current piston-to-deck clearance? The H631cp30 pistons are .010 taller than the pistons you have--which is good--but they use a prehistoric ring package. Nobody can say what the quench distance is until you do some measuring, but I expect it's huge. Makes for "lazy" combustion, can promote detonation, and may require excess ignition advance. If the quench distance is greater than .045, you could be in trouble.

Originally Posted by IndyL03 View Post
the motor didnít even have 100k and only .001 of wear.
Why bother to have it bored? My cylinders had about .0015 taper, I hit them with a dingleberry brush to put some cross-hatch back on them, and shoved standard-size pistons right back in.

Similarly, did the engine NEED align-honing? What size were the bearing bores before the hone? Did the old bearings show alignment problems? Did the rods actually NEED to be re-sized? Did the old rod bearings show uneven wear? Were the big-ends out-of-size or out-of-round? I didn't see the parts, so I don't know--but--I get the feeling the machine shop did a bunch of un-needed work but failed to properly address the block decks so that you'll end up with proper squish/quench. Maybe I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by IndyL03 View Post
My crank I ground a v at each leading edge- Iíll try to roll with it to be balanced.Scat makes a stock crank for about same price or less than OE with leading edge optimized for oil control.
I'd rather have the GM crankshaft than a cheap Chinese import. If the crank has had so much material ground off of it that it's hard to balance, I'd just get another GM crank, used but in good condition.

Originally Posted by IndyL03 View Post
My pan has oil level and oil drain plug stock and engine has a flat windage screen but Iíd like something better and a crank scraper.
Are you going to spin this engine high enough to need more windage control than GM engineers feel is adequate?
You're aware that crank scrapers also reduce oil to the cylinder walls and wrist pins...right? At a million RPM, that's OK, they're flooded. At lower RPM, you sure you want to take away their lubrication?
Schurkey is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 02:34 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 79
Car: 1993 Caprice
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Re: 355 9c1

Hey thanks for the input guys, been on 60hr weeks since thanksgiving and canít have phone at work. Sorry for delays in response.
My motor is not a high Rev- in need of low and mid power. The car weighs 4500lbs. I do not ďhave to haveĒ EGR but if I can make it work that wonít be an issue either way. Iím aware of the intake issue since I canít go the adapter route for carb intake due to clearance to the hood without getting a cowl hood.
The main goal at the moment is to get the short block together. Soon as get my next day off I need to drop bottom off to balance shop
IndyL03 is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 04:47 PM
  #7  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hurst, Texas
Posts: 8,271
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears
Re: 355 9c1

Originally Posted by IndyL03 View Post
Hey thanks for the input guys, been on 60hr weeks since thanksgiving and canít have phone at work. Sorry for delays in response.
My motor is not a high Rev- in need of low and mid power. The car weighs 4500lbs. I do not ďhave to haveĒ EGR but if I can make it work that wonít be an issue either way. Iím aware of the intake issue since I canít go the adapter route for carb intake due to clearance to the hood without getting a cowl hood.
The main goal at the moment is to get the short block together. Soon as get my next day off I need to drop bottom off to balance shop
Let me throw out my take on this. Vortec heads are a decent set of heads. However for what you are trying to do totally not needed and a huge expense to convert to. Given that your car is a 1993 the distributor to firewall clearance is very tight. The factory B-body TBI distributers used on those whale body cars has a larger base to cover the larger opening in the intake to allow you to service the distributor without moving the engine. It is my understanding a standard sized distributor cannot be removed without moving the engine.

That being said TBI heads are going to have the best low-midrange grunt up to 4,500 rpm of ANY head you can put on a small block engine.

The stock 9C1 engine I have been into had the hotter L98 cam and flat top pistons on it but used the TBI 305 exhaust manifolds rather than the larger outlet TPI manifolds.

I would have a hard time not keeping the swirl ports if they check out good, get them surfaced and a valve job, replace not ream the guides only if they are necessary. Then have the machine shop clean and bore the stock intake manifold openings to 2", pickup a 50mm bored TBI unit. I would pickup a used set of LT1 manifolds and get a good 2.25" dual exhaust built like a LT1 B-car. A H or X pipe would help equalize the exhaust backpressure and help make more mid-range torque. The LT1 B-car transmission crossmember bolted right into the earlier Cadillac Fleetwood I once played around with. If you are able to tune the ECM I would suggest a cam change from the L98 cam. While the L98 cam is a good piece it can certainly be improved on without hurting drivability. I have used this cam in several TBI and Vortec engines with a reprogrammed/recalibrated GM ECM.
http://www.competitionproducts.com/E.../#.XBQwp8vQaUk

Fast355 is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 09:03 PM
  #8  
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,029
Re: 355 9c1

Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
That being said TBI heads are going to have the best low-midrange grunt up to 4,500 rpm of ANY head you can put on a small block engine.
This surprises me. A lot. By "TBI heads", you're talking about Swirl-Ports, right? Or do you mean something else?

If you'd said "up to 2,500 rpm" I'd be less surprised. 2500 rpm should be enough to get my truck to highway speed--in overdrive.

I have no way to test heads, and it's not like I can change heads and NOT change other stuff. Suffice to say, shiit-canning the swirl-ports in favor of 1990s low-priced aluminum "hot-rod" heads, along with a ZZ4-style intake and OEM Vortec camshaft makes noticeably more power (on the second test-drive after installing the engine--it's only been installed and running for two days so far) than my "crate" B-body TBI engine. Of course, I've essentially changed cam, heads, and manifold not just the heads. All of this on the stock '88 K1500 computer and PROM.

The first proper test-drive of this engine, I felt it was making about the same power as the previous B-body engine. I was actually disappointed. The trans was shifting pretty harsh, too. So I check throttle movement, and the trans TV cable is two notches too short--so I'm only getting about 2/3 or maybe 3/4 throttle travel. I adjust the cable so the throttle will fully open, and now I've got approximately the power I was hoping for.

I'd love to be present at a properly-controlled dyno test of Swirl-Port heads vs. Vortec vs. some known-quantity aftermarket aluminum heads. The downside is that involves three different intake manifold bolt patterns.

Last edited by Schurkey; 12-14-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Schurkey is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 10:39 PM
  #9  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hurst, Texas
Posts: 8,271
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears
Re: 355 9c1

Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
This surprises me. A lot. By "TBI heads", you're talking about Swirl-Ports, right? Or do you mean something else?

If you'd said "up to 2,500 rpm" I'd be less surprised. 2500 rpm should be enough to get my truck to highway speed--in overdrive.

I have no way to test heads, and it's not like I can change heads and NOT change other stuff. Suffice to say, shiit-canning the swirl-ports in favor of 1990s low-priced aluminum "hot-rod" heads, along with a ZZ4-style intake and OEM Vortec camshaft makes noticeably more power (on the second test-drive after installing the engine--it's only been installed and running for two days so far) than my "crate" B-body TBI engine. Of course, I've essentially changed cam, heads, and manifold not just the heads. All of this on the stock '88 K1500 computer and PROM.

The first proper test-drive of this engine, I felt it was making about the same power as the previous B-body engine. I was actually disappointed. The trans was shifting pretty harsh, too. So I check throttle movement, and the trans TV cable is two notches too short--so I'm only getting about 2/3 or maybe 3/4 throttle travel. I adjust the cable so the throttle will fully open, and now I've got approximately the power I was hoping for.

I'd love to be present at a properly-controlled dyno test of Swirl-Port heads vs. Vortec vs. some known-quantity aftermarket aluminum heads. The downside is that involves three different intake manifold bolt patterns.
I did a mild cam 350 TBI swirl port TBI head to Vortec swap years ago. The TBI heads beat out the Vortecs until 4,500 rpm and then the Vortecs pulled ahead. By 5,000 rpm the Vortecs were only ahead 15 hp. The Vortecs were able to make power to 5,500 though where the swirl ports were falling off badly. At 5,500 rpm the Vortecs were up about 40 hp. At 2,500 rpm the swirl ports made about 20 ft/lbs more torque.

Dewey 316 did a swirl port 305 head to ported 416 swap years ago running the same cam and intake. His results were similar. He went from about 210 hp to 225 hp with the swirl ports making more power under about 4,500. He was running a cammed L03 with a low rise single plane and headers/exhaust.

I had the ZZ4 head and cam setup on my TBI 350 with its 18cc dished pistons in my G20 years ago. Up to 5,500 rpm it did not run much better than the F-car LT1 cam, 1.6 rocker swirl port head setup I ran prior. I ran the same performer rpm intake and thorley headers with both.

Last edited by Fast355; 12-14-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Fast355 is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 09:18 AM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 79
Car: 1993 Caprice
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Re: 355 9c1

Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
Let me throw out my take on this. Vortec heads are a decent set of heads. However for what you are trying to do totally not needed and a huge expense to convert to. Given that your car is a 1993 the distributor to firewall clearance is very tight. The factory B-body TBI distributers used on those whale body cars has a larger base to cover the larger opening in the intake to allow you to service the distributor without moving the engine. It is my understanding a standard sized distributor cannot be removed without moving the engine.

That being said TBI heads are going to have the best low-midrange grunt up to 4,500 rpm of ANY head you can put on a small block engine.

The stock 9C1 engine I have been into had the hotter L98 cam and flat top pistons on it but used the TBI 305 exhaust manifolds rather than the larger outlet TPI manifolds.

I would have a hard time not keeping the swirl ports if they check out good, get them surfaced and a valve job, replace not ream the guides only if they are necessary. Then have the machine shop clean and bore the stock intake manifold openings to 2", pickup a 50mm bored TBI unit. I would pickup a used set of LT1 manifolds and get a good 2.25" dual exhaust built like a LT1 B-car. A H or X pipe would help equalize the exhaust backpressure and help make more mid-range torque. The LT1 B-car transmission crossmember bolted right into the earlier Cadillac Fleetwood I once played around with. If you are able to tune the ECM I would suggest a cam change from the L98 cam. While the L98 cam is a good piece it can certainly be improved on without hurting drivability. I have used this cam in several TBI and Vortec engines with a reprogrammed/recalibrated GM ECM.
http://www.competitionproducts.com/E.../#.XBQwp8vQaUk
My Current B Car is an old L03 city fleet car . I tossed the truck heads and stock intake. I figured if I find a good aftermarket head similar to Vortec to use Edelbrock TBI intake I would but I could go Vortec and gmpp tbi intake as well. I only drive this occasionally at the moment and tear up the highway
IndyL03 is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 11:47 AM
  #11  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 79
Car: 1993 Caprice
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Re: 355 9c1

Holiday season is over thankfully plus Iím back to my short block. Regarding heads, I have NONE-tossed them old swirl port ones out months ago. so I WILL need new heads. Iím stuck between Vortecs and the aluminum ones from summit. The intake distributor hole has to be machined open for 91-93 b-body- more $. Idk if either route of head will will affect TV and Cruise Control.
Iím planning on ebl for my ecm so I will still egr have either way since I can use lt1 headers or stock lt1 manifold b-car manifolds.
I also checked on impalass and 9c1 site and they just recommend the B-car LT1 cam for TBI. Idk if anyone had opinions on cam selection. I definitely donít want too much cam but need to order one soon.
IndyL03 is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 11:51 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 79
Car: 1993 Caprice
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Re: 355 9c1





wire wheeled the Chevy Orange the machinist used. Going with Chevy gray-industrial look.
🤣
IndyL03 is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 06:28 PM
  #13  
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,029
Re: 355 9c1

Originally Posted by IndyL03 View Post
I WILL need new heads. I’m stuck between Vortecs and the aluminum ones from summit... ...Idk if either route of head will will affect TV and Cruise Control.
Vortec heads will require mods to the brackets, as the brackets are intended to be bolted to the stud-tops of the intake manifold bolts which are laid-over on the OEM and Summit heads, but straight-up-and-down on the Vortecs. The bolt spacing is different, too.

You use the Summit TBI heads, and the OEM intake manifold, there's zero fabrication needed. Aftermarket intake manifold will need "some" fabrication, but the amount depends on the manifold, and that depends somewhat on the heads it bolts to.






I painted my engine with two partially-used rattle-cans of Black that I had lying around. You cannot make me feel guilty, either.
Schurkey is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 10:50 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 414
Re: 355 9c1

Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Vortec heads will require mods to the brackets, as the brackets are intended to be bolted to the stud-tops of the intake manifold bolts which are laid-over on the OEM and Summit heads, but straight-up-and-down on the Vortecs. The bolt spacing is different, too.
I ran a vortec heads on my 89 caprice with a edelbrock performer rpm, which has similar if not identical serpentine/bracket setup as the 91-93 caprices. Only one brace had to be fabricated, cant remember the diameter but i used rod stock, a vice to bend and a torch to hammer the ends flat like the factory bracket. Looked stock. I'll see if I can get some pictures this week.
morgsie is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 11:24 PM
  #15  
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,029
Re: 355 9c1

Originally Posted by morgsie View Post
I ran a vortec heads on my 89 caprice with a edelbrock performer rpm, which has similar if not identical serpentine/bracket setup as the 91-93 caprices. Only one brace had to be fabricated, cant remember the diameter but i used rod stock, a vice to bend and a torch to hammer the ends flat like the factory bracket. Looked stock. I'll see if I can get some pictures this week.
Your answer is based on the accessory brackets at the front of the engine. I was talking about the TV cable and Cruise Cable (and throttle cable) brackets at the rear.

Yeah, the accessory brackets and braces will likely need modification--but that depends on the intake manifold.

My K1500 needs a new brace from the back of the A/C compressor to the intake manifold, but the brace behind the tensioner pulley and the brace on the back of the alternator fit the ZZ4-style manifold just fine.
Schurkey is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 09:26 AM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 414
Re: 355 9c1

I modified the stock throttle/tv bracket to work with vortec intake. had to use ARP bolts because the head was smaller for clearance. do NOT use the edelbrock bracket that is avaiable, it is meant for a th350 kickdown cable, not a th700r4 tv cable.

I am sure you are aware but the truck serpentine setup sits a lot higher than the b/f-body setup. i wasnt running a compressor but I also recall a bracket to the intake aswell as one to an exhaust manifold stud.
morgsie is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 08:42 AM
  #17  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 79
Car: 1993 Caprice
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Re: 355 9c1

Originally Posted by morgsie View Post
I ran a vortec heads on my 89 caprice with a edelbrock performer rpm, which has similar if not identical serpentine/bracket setup as the 91-93 caprices. Only one brace had to be fabricated, cant remember the diameter but i used rod stock, a vice to bend and a torch to hammer the ends flat like the factory bracket. Looked stock. I'll see if I can get some pictures this week.
Hey if you had a pic of this could you post or pm me?
IndyL03 is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:43 AM
  #18  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 79
Car: 1993 Caprice
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Re: 355 9c1








IndyL03 is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:50 AM
  #19  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 79
Car: 1993 Caprice
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Re: 355 9c1

Balance rotating assembly, flywheel, added metal, installed pistons to rods: total of $215 out the door. Pistons are clocked and ready to install today or sometime this week depending if my buddyís shop isnít cold today.
Will I be good with just Redline assembly lube on rings and skirts or go get a coffee can and dip them in break in oil or racing oil? Using a tapered ring compressor 4.030
IndyL03 is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:58 AM
  #20  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 79
Car: 1993 Caprice
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Re: 355 9c1


Pre gapped


Wrinkle finish after stripping covers

Clocked and ready for their new home
IndyL03 is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:06 AM
  #21  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 79
Car: 1993 Caprice
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Re: 355 9c1

Cam selection is next...stuck between LT1(B)1.52/1.6 rr LT1(F)&LT4(oem)1.5 rr

noticed lt4 doesnít need egr-could use carb intake with TBI adapter
IndyL03 is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 12:20 PM
  #22  
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,029
Re: 355 9c1

Originally Posted by IndyL03 View Post
Balance rotating assembly, flywheel, added metal, installed pistons to rods: total of $215 out the door.

Excellent.

Originally Posted by IndyL03 View Post
Pistons are clocked and ready to install today or sometime this week depending if my buddyís shop isnít cold today.
Will I be good with just Redline assembly lube on rings and skirts or go get a coffee can and dip them in break in oil or racing oil? Using a tapered ring compressor 4.030
DO NOT dip them in oil! There's no reason to have that much lube in the cylinders.

My procedure is to have the cylinders final-honed with a dingleberry brush--240 grit is common and acceptable for Moly rings, but I bought a 320-grit (very fine) brush. Kerosene for lube. After the cylinders have proper cross-hatch, I scrub them vertically with a green Scotchbrite pad. This is a tip I got from reading David Vizard's work. And of course, clean, clean, clean afterwards. Some sort of solvent is fine at first, but final cleaning of the cylinder walls is done with HOT soapy water. Compressed-air dry, and then a clean rag with some auto trans fluid (ATF) wiped on the metal to prevent rust. That's all the lube the cylinder walls get--or need.

I handle the pistons with some ATF on my hands, and squirt a little ATF onto the piston pin. The rings pick up ATF from my fingers, as do the piston skirts. The only part of this that I go out of my way to lube are the piston pins--everything else on the piston is just transfer from my hands. (but I keep my hands wet with ATF) The pistons go in the bore with a LIGHT coating of ATF, they certainly do not have enough lube on them to drip. I haven't used your assembly lube, is it thin enough for pistons/rings? When I think of assembly lube, I think of heavy weight stuff for cam 'n' lifters, and bearings.

The 5.7L I finished back last December was so friction-free that I could turn the crank with all eight pistons 'n' rings, timing chain and cam (short block, no oil pump, no lifters, no heads) at 15 ft/lbs torque on the crank snout.

Can't help you with cam selection. I just re-used the Vortec cam and lifters that came in the short-block.
Schurkey is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 11:56 PM
  #23  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 414
Re: 355 9c1

.034" seems like a lot of endplay, the small block I am doing at the moment had .005-.007". I use ATF on bores/rings as well. I can VOUCH that '191 TBI heads are NOT 71 cc. Mine cc'd at 65 cc by machineshop and I did them myself. I used wrinkle bake paint on my last set of valve covers. It's cool but not as durable as I thought, plus cleaning oil/grease off it is hard. I am going to run the TPI L98 cam with 1.7 rockers in my truck engine. I am running 2 piece timing cover and LSx style lifter trays so if I decide to change cam down the road, i just have to loosen off rockers, pull water pump and outter timing cover, rotate engine twice and pull cam out. No pulling intake or oil pan.

I thought I took pictures of my throttle/TV bracket vortec setup but I cant find them I will try and get them this weekend.

Last edited by morgsie; 02-16-2019 at 12:10 AM.
morgsie is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 12:02 AM
  #24  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 414
Re: 355 9c1



morgsie is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 02:03 PM
  #25  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 79
Car: 1993 Caprice
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Re: 355 9c1

Originally Posted by morgsie View Post
.034" seems like a lot of endplay, the small block I am doing at the moment had .005-.007". I use ATF on bores/rings as well. I can VOUCH that '191 TBI heads are NOT 71 cc. Mine cc'd at 65 cc by machineshop and I did them myself. I used wrinkle bake paint on my last set of valve covers. It's cool but not as durable as I thought, plus cleaning oil/grease off it is hard. I am going to run the TPI L98 cam with 1.7 rockers in my truck engine. I am running 2 piece timing cover and LSx style lifter trays so if I decide to change cam down the road, i just have to loosen off rockers, pull water pump and outter timing cover, rotate engine twice and pull cam out. No pulling intake or oil pan.

I thought I took pictures of my throttle/TV bracket vortec setup but I cant find them I will try and get them this weekend.
that wasnít the end play. Only had 0.007 end play and pistons are 0.035
IndyL03 is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 02:08 PM
  #26  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 79
Car: 1993 Caprice
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Re: 355 9c1

Iím stuck between l98 cam (oem for 9c1) or LT4. Both seem good for highway and higher speeds. I have surgery Wednesday so probably only get to cam and timing chain while off work.
IndyL03 is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 06:31 PM
  #27  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 414
Re: 355 9c1

Just curious, does your 9C1 cam have a fuel pump lobe? what about the lt4?

The cams are pretty similar. The LT4 has more lift. I opted for the L98 cam because it had a fuel pump lobe (i am running a Qjet). I figured the LT4 cam would have not had one, I know the LT1 cam I have has no fuel pump lobe.

Last edited by morgsie; 02-18-2019 at 06:41 PM.
morgsie is offline  
Old 02-19-2019, 07:03 AM
  #28  
Supreme Member
 
dmccain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: South Ms
Posts: 2,750
Car: 89 Pontiac
Engine: 5.0 FI
Transmission: 700R4. Shift kit+S10 TC
Axle/Gears: 3.73s Posi
Re: 355 9c1

Keep us posted very interested in your build. If I recollect the 9c1 350 is just an L98 with a TBI on it using 68lb injectors instead of 61lb, ive heard 083 heads and ive heard 193 heads? Pretty much what I will be using also, an L98 with TBI.

Last edited by dmccain; 02-19-2019 at 07:21 AM.
dmccain is offline  
Old 02-19-2019, 12:48 PM
  #29  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 79
Car: 1993 Caprice
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Re: 355 9c1

Used the assembly lube on bores and pistons. Stuff from redline is extra slick and rotation torque was around 30lbft

Tapered ring compressor made this job easy
IndyL03 is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 02:28 PM
  #30  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 414
Re: 355 9c1

Originally Posted by dmccain View Post
Keep us posted very interested in your build. If I recollect the 9c1 350 is just an L98 with a TBI on it using 68lb injectors instead of 61lb, ive heard 083 heads and ive heard 193 heads? Pretty much what I will be using also, an L98 with TBI.
The 2 9c1 engines I tore down 10 years ago had '193 heads.
morgsie is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
JeffP
Transmissions and Drivetrain
6
11-01-2001 09:27 PM
kevm14
TBI
6
10-07-2001 04:07 PM
z28dan
Tech / General Engine
6
10-05-2001 07:16 PM
scauffiel
Tech / General Engine
0
05-01-2001 08:08 AM
F-Messenger
Tech / General Engine
3
03-26-2001 10:15 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 355 9c1


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: