383 TBI cam selection - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Go Back  Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > TBI
Reload this Page >

383 TBI cam selection

TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

383 TBI cam selection

Old 03-14-2019, 08:27 PM

Car: 91 z28
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: lt1 10 bolt 3.23
383 TBI cam selection

I'm building a 383 stroker for my 1988 Camaro and need assistance in selecting a hydraulic roller cam.

What I got so far:

1997 880 block bored .030" over w/4 bolt mains from a 2500 truck
Eagle forged 3.75" crank
6" Scat I beam rods
Wiseco dished forged pistons
Vortec heads heavily worked on exhaust side w/stainless stock sized valves, competition valve job, Alex's parts beehive springs, guide plates and screw in studs
Comp Cams 7/16 1.6 roller rockers
Victor Jr 2 barrel intake manifold
Hooker 2055 headers to full 3" exhaust
WC T5 from a v8 1992 Camaro
Zoom clutch
28lbs PRW sfi flywheel
4.10 8.8 rear

The engine is going to be around 10:1 compression, I want to shift it by 6000 rpm. Going to be a street car that goes to drag strips and road courses occasionally. Planning to run it with EBL flash, and will likely start out with a modified TBI.

The cam I am looking at is this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-08-414-8

Is it possible to get a cam for a SBC with the LS firing order?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated, thanks!
Old 03-14-2019, 09:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Pontiac
Engine: 5.0 FI
Transmission: 700R4. Shift kit+S10 TC
Axle/Gears: 3.73s Posi
Re: 383 TBI cam selection

Good luck tuning it .. why not go carb with that rowdy combo?
Old 03-15-2019, 10:56 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Originally Posted by 88RS View Post
I'm building a 383 stroker for my 1988 Camaro and need assistance in selecting a hydraulic roller cam.

What I got so far:

1997 880 block bored .030" over w/4 bolt mains from a 2500 truck
Eagle forged 3.75" crank
6" Scat I beam rods
Wiseco dished forged pistons
Vortec heads heavily worked on exhaust side w/stainless stock sized valves, competition valve job, Alex's parts beehive springs, guide plates and screw in studs
Comp Cams 7/16 1.6 roller rockers
Victor Jr 2 barrel intake manifold
Hooker 2055 headers to full 3" exhaust
WC T5 from a v8 1992 Camaro
Zoom clutch
28lbs PRW sfi flywheel
4.10 8.8 rear

The engine is going to be around 10:1 compression, I want to shift it by 6000 rpm. Going to be a street car that goes to drag strips and road courses occasionally. Planning to run it with EBL flash, and will likely start out with a modified TBI.

The cam I am looking at is this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-08-414-8

Is it possible to get a cam for a SBC with the LS firing order?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated, thanks!
You can get a 4-7 firing order swap cam, but not the LS firing order. I would not worry about it too much though.

Shifting less than 6,500 is giving up a lot of the intake and vortec heads breathing ability on that combination.

I would not suggest a cam for a lower rpm 4x4 truck for a car either.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:06 PM
Supreme Member

If you're using the TBI water pump and accessory drive, you'll need to drill some holes in the block for timing cover bolts and a coolant bypass.

If you're using the Vortec water pump and accessory drive, the block will be fine as-is, but the intake manifold may need to be modified for a coolant bypass.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:10 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
If you're using the TBI water pump and accessory drive, you'll need to drill some holes in the block for timing cover bolts and a coolant bypass.

If you're using the Vortec water pump and accessory drive, the block will be fine as-is, but the intake manifold may need to be modified for a coolant bypass.
I have had numerous vortec blocks that were drilled for the bypass hole and also had the timing cover bolt holes drilled and tapped. They only needed a pair of alignment dowels added.

The Vortec cylinder head blocks off the water bypass passageway and coolant will not flow through the bypass port without drilling the deck of the head.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by dmccain View Post
Good luck tuning it .. why not go carb with that rowdy combo?
I already have a fairly quick car with a carb and have always wanted to play with a TBI combo. I figure if it doesn't work out I could always do the carb thing easily. Rbob seems to offer great support with his products, as far as I have researched this anyways.

I'm glad you saw this thread, Fast355. What off the shelf cam or specs would you suggest? I know the 4x4 name is a turn off for car use, but I want to pull decent vacuum and have something I'll be able to tune. I don't want something that throws bottom end torque away because in reality, it is not really a race car and I would rather sacrifice top end power and trap speed for low rpm performance. I bought a heavy steel flywheel for instance because I don't want the torment of trying to leave a traffic light with an aluminum. I'm going to buy Elgin hydraulic roller lifters for it and use the factory spider tray. When would valve float be a concern? Is this intake manifold just plain wrong for what I want to do? I am admittedly new to this TBI stuff and appreciate any guidance I can get from you.

Schurkey, Fast355, I'm not well versed in the differences, but the plan was to use the TBI accessory drive with the old style stamped steel timing cover. I am away from home so I can't look at any of my parts, but if you have any links with pictures I would greatly appreciate that. When I do plumb the heater core, I am planning to eliminate the problematic plastic heater control valve (or whatever it is called). The like new TBI water pump I have has a pipe plug in the top of it.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-17-2019, 09:55 AM
Supreme Member

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-08-464-8/
Old 03-17-2019, 12:06 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
I have had numerous vortec blocks that were drilled for the bypass hole and also had the timing cover bolt holes drilled and tapped. They only needed a pair of alignment dowels added.
I put a "service replacement" crate engine in my '88 K1500 nearly twenty years ago. The replacement engine was built on an "880" block, and of course it had the timing cover holes and the coolant bypass hole drilled.

I've never seen a block from a VORTEC application (which could also be an 880 casting) that had the bypass hole drilled ALL THE WAY THROUGH, although I have a core engine in the shop right now that has the hole partially-drilled, and another with no bypass hole at all. The short-block I used to replace the almost-20-year-old Service Replacement engine (blew a head gasket, then shattered a piston) was another 880 block, but with Vortec origins--so I had to drill and tap to make it suitable for a TBI application (photo below.)

The two dowels are nice, but not absolutely required. I didn't bother on mine. I installed the timing cover with the bolts loose, then slid the damper into position. The damper hub centers the seal on the timing cover. Tighten as many bolts on the cover as you can, remove the damper, tighten the rest.

Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
The Vortec cylinder head blocks off the water bypass passageway and coolant will not flow through the bypass port without drilling the deck of the head.
I have no idea why the head deck drilling would be important since the hole goes straight through into the water jacket below the water pump outlet.

the plan was to use the TBI accessory drive with the old style stamped steel timing cover. I am away from home so I can't look at any of my parts, but if you have any links with pictures I would greatly appreciate that.

Note belt alignment problems when using Vortec water pump and TBI accessories (K1500) Other body styles may be different.

There's two missing timing cover bolt holes that will have to be drilled and tapped.
The coolant bypass hole has already been drilled in this photo.

When I do plumb the heater core, I am planning to eliminate the problematic plastic heater control valve (or whatever it is called).
I think this is a mistake. Dorman sells (or used to sell) a quick-connect that seems quite robust--mine went in with the previous engine almost 20 years ago, and I re-used it when putting the "newest" engine in a couple months ago. The quick-connect has the proper heater flow restriction to prevent blowing-up the heater core from dynamic pressure.
(Or are you not talking about the heater-hose quick-connect coupling?)

The like new TBI water pump I have has a pipe plug in the top of it.
You'll have to verify whether the plug leads to the suction or the pressure side of the pump before you try to use it.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:23 PM

Car: 97 Z28
Engine: 396 LT1 478whp 443wtq
Transmission: 6spd
Axle/Gears: 4.10 LSD

I built a Camaro 355ci TBI years back with this cam https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...make/chevrolet
Ran pretty decent even with a sh** tuned chip. Put down 300rwhp at its last dyno day
Old 03-18-2019, 09:32 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
I have no idea why the head deck drilling would be important since the hole goes straight through into the water jacket below the water pump outlet.
Because the bypass correctly drilled from the factory goes through an internal passageway and comes out through the passenger side deck.

I will also say I have seen a few Vortec blocks that did not even have material in the area for the bypass passageway to be sealed off. To fit a TBI water pump I had to tap the water pump and put in a pipe plug with sealer recessed into the water pumps bypass port..
Old 03-18-2019, 11:07 PM

Awesome post, Schurkey! Thanks, I will check out my block when I get home. This is the valve I am talking about:

I want nothing to do with this valve, have had enough trouble with it cracking on past third gens. I plan to put a restrictor on the heater core inlet and delete the mess of hoses that goes along with it.

Thanks Gotchevy. that is more along the lines of what I was thinking as far as duration and lsa. With my Vortec heads that die off around .500" lift and the 1.6 roller rockers, it is just too much lift for my application. The duration and lsa specs are not too far off from the 4x4 cam I'm looking at.