TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

350 TBI won't start when timing bypass is disconnected / unplugged

Old 03-22-2019, 12:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 7004R
Axle/Gears: 3.27/42 ?
350 TBI won't start when timing bypass is disconnected / unplugged

Hey guys,

You are the most knowledgeable TBI experts I know so I wanted to post this here for some help. I did some google searching and only found one other post with this problem so it seems like a rare one! Unfortunately, the post I found died once the OP stopped responding.

So here is the story and the problem:
  • Yesterday, I bought a truck:
    • 1989 GMC Sierra 2500 with a TBI 350
    • It's completely stock and runs great! (while the EST Bypass wire is connected)
    • No check engine light
  • The problem...
    • The truck does not pass smog
      • Smog Visual: Passed
      • Smog Emissions/sniffer: Passed
      • Smog Functional test: Failed
        • The reason it failed (as printed on the smog failure report) is: Ignition timing is not readable. Also vehicle will not run when single wire tan/black connector is disconnected which is procedure for checking timing.
  • This was my first attempt at resolving the problem:
  1. Started the engine and warmed it up
  2. Disconnected the tan/black EST bypass connector WHILE the engine was running and the engine went from idling smoothly to a idling rough.
  3. Using a timing light: I set the timing to 0 degrees. The engine then began to run smoothly!
  4. I reconnected the EST bypass connector. (This was done while the engine was still running - The engine continued to run smoothly.)
  5. I shut the engine off
  6. I started the engine and it ran perfectly fine. (I thought I had resolved the issue!)
  7. Just to double check: I shut the engine off then I disconnected the EST bypass connector again.
  8. I tried to start the engine
    Results: Engine cranks over but does not start
  9. After realizing the engine was not going to start: I reconnected the EST bypass connector.
  10. The engine took quite a bit of cranking before it started. Once started, it ran fine.
Basically I am able to replicate the exact same same problem that the smog shop came across. Based on my research, the correct procedure to check the timing is:
  1. Warm up engine
  2. Shut off engine
  3. Disconnect EST bypass wire
  4. Start engine (Cannot get past this step...)
  5. Set timing to 0
  6. Shut off engine
  7. Reconnect EST bypass wire
I'm guessing this is the procedure the smog shop is trying to follow so seems I need to get this to work for them so the smog test passes. I hope this is enough details for everyone. Please let me know if you have any ideas guys.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited by Napster134; 03-22-2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 7004R
Axle/Gears: 3.27/42 ?
Re: 350 TBI won't start when timing bypass is disconnected / unplugged

Hey guys! Here’s an update:

I sent a message to BobR (most of ya know who he is but if ya don’t: He builds/sells custom tunable ECMs for our cars. The best one too as far as I’m aware) and brought him up to speed with this problem.

BobR responded with:

“One thing to keep in mind, is that with the engine not running (under 400 RPM), there is no difference between having the EST/BYPASS open or closed. The ECM opens the EST/BYPASS electrically. This is at least on a properly functioning system.

Best guess is that the pickup coil in the distributor is bad.

However, should do some trouble shooting with the EST/BYPASS connector open. During cranking are the injectors firing? Is there spark”

With this response I checked for spark and fuel and both existed. From here, the pickup coil was the next culprit.

I replaced the entire distributor (since it has a new pickup coil inside) and problem solved!

The truck now runs just fine with the EST/Bypass disconnected. I took it to the smog station and it passed!

Hope this helps someone down the road!
Old 03-24-2019, 06:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd have guessed "ignition module" rather than "pickup coil".

If you had spark and fuel spray, the pickup coil is working. I think some--but not all--of the internal module circuitry is defective.

Easy enough to find out. Swap ignition modules, see if the problem comes back.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i've seen pickup coils that will allow engine to run for 20-40 minutes then vehicle dies and will restart after a "cool down" period.