Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

valve locks

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valve locks

I am having a problem removing the valve locking wedges I have the right valve compressing tool and I am able to compress the valve spring but I am having trouble removing the locks does anyone have any suggestions on this issue
Old 06-29-2002, 02:02 AM

i am guessing you mean the "locks" that hold the valve to the spring, also i hope that you have the heads off of the car or else it becomes a real PITA to do. Since you said you can get the spring to compress i am also guessing that thre valve is pushing down. if this is the case and you have the heads off of the car, what i have done is have a buddy of mine tap the valve(fromt he bottom) with a rubber mallet to get it free, then remove both locks while keeping the spring compressed. whatever you do dont let the spring go if you dont have both locks out/ both locks aligned correctly. If the heads are on the car( and i hope not) you can always use the rope method, take out the sprak plug fill the chamber with rope( leaving one end so you can pull it out..duh) turn the flexplate until the piston moves up and you can get the valve free. hth's
Old 06-29-2002, 02:09 AM

I have tried hitting the s_ _ t out of the valve from the otherside I still cant get the locks out what a pain the a_ _. Anyone else have any suggestions
Old 06-29-2002, 05:43 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you're taking the heads apart off the engine i use a piece of 3/4" or 1" pipe with a cap screwed on it. just set it on the retainer and smack it with a BFH. it'll break the keepers loose from the valves and it'll take you about 2 minutes to take 16 of the apart. if it's on the engine i use a screw driver or pick to sort of seperate them.