Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

strange problem, can anyone help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strange problem, can anyone help

this problem occured on my sons 86 SS after we installed headers....if using the a/c and doing city driving for about 30 minutes (everything is heat soaked by then) the engine will suddenly die without warning when at a stop lite and will not crank or start for at least 30 minutes
has anyone encountered this before
thanks guys
Old 07-17-2002, 09:57 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
May be coincidence that it started after the headers were installed. But, sounds like an electrical component heating up and creating an open circuit. 1st two things that come to mind are the ignition module and coil.

It's also possible a wire of some sort was disturbed during the header install, that is making minimal contact. When hot, it opens up (pretty long shot, I'd think).
Old 07-17-2002, 10:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by five7kid
May be coincidence that it started after the headers were installed. But, sounds like an electrical component heating up and creating an open circuit. 1st two things that come to mind are the ignition module and coil.

It's also possible a wire of some sort was disturbed during the header install, that is making minimal contact. When hot, it opens up (pretty long shot, I'd think).
I was about to post to you the exact same thing , but wasn't sure on it ......I second this man's opinion .

It could also be your pick-up coil .
Old 07-19-2002, 10:13 AM

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
...or the often-overlooked filter capacitor in the base of the distributor. However, none of those should prevent cranking, just ignition.

One method to help isolate the problem to a system is to take a meter along, then quickly check the voltage at the starter "S" terminal when the condition occurs.

A few answeres to some dumb questions might help us along a bit:

1. Do the power accessories operate when the engine is heated and disabled?

2. Does the battery require charging or boosting to get restarted, or just recover on its own?

3. Does the starter even "click" when you attempt to restart?

4. Do the dash warning lights operate when the car is disabled? "SES" lamp?

5. How about the fuel pump priming? Does it operate for two seconds after the car has been shut off for at least 20 seconds?

6. Any error codes?

7. What happens to the dash warning lights when you attempt to crank the engine?

Likw I said, some dumb questions, but it may also help isolate the problem. I'm thinking that you have a high resistance connection somewhere, and finding it may be easier if the affected circuits are identified. Resistance typically changes with temperature, so....