Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car will only start by push start......Security light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Transmission: T56
Car will only start by push start......Security light stays on

I was dropping someting off at a buddies house the other day and shut the car off for about 5 minutes while I went inside. I came back and the car wouldn't start. I checked the connections at the clutch switch and all was well. I still had plenty of power to run all the accessories and all the fuses were fine. I turn the key and nothing happens at all just as if I wasn't pushing the clutch. I decided to try to push start it and it fired right up. I noticed on the way home that the security light was on. Immediately i suspected the VATS. Then I realized that it couldn't be that since I disabled it in the new prom. Also, I rmember hearing that if the VATS goes bad then the car won't be able to start no matter what. When I turn the key the fuel pump will still engage like normal and once it's push started it runs fine. Now I'm suspecting that it may be starter related. I'm just a bit confused as to why the security light stays on. If anyone has any advice on what to check I would really appreciate it. I'm going the check the starter, starter relay, and the ignition switch right now. Thanks in advance for any help.

Stephen
Old 08-09-2002, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the security light stays on there's a problem with the VATS system. My car will do that every once in a while, then I have to wait 3 minutes to for it reset itself before I can put the key back in and try to start it again. I thought VATS was supposed to cut the signal to the injectors too. I guess not if you can push start it !!!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 5.7 L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt Posi
Re: Car will only start by push start......Security light stays on

Originally Posted by Odyssey
If the security light stays on there's a problem with the VATS system. My car will do that every once in a while, then I have to wait 3 minutes to for it reset itself before I can put the key back in and try to start it again. I thought VATS was supposed to cut the signal to the injectors too. I guess not if you can push start it !!!

anyone get to the bottom of this? i got teh same problem?

mine is an automatic, wouldnt start, took a power probe to the starter with key on starts right up, security light stays on
Old 03-13-2013, 08:13 AM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: Car will only start by push start......Security light stays on

Sounds like a vats issue, since you are running the ebl you do not need the vats. I am now sure if the calibration has it disabled already if not should be easy. You can jumper your starter enable relay in your drivers side kick panel. If you do not repair the vats or bypass with a resister pop out the security bulb.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...-i-bypass.html

Last edited by Tuned Performance; 03-13-2013 at 08:18 AM.