Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What is my car's problem?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 10:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2006 Tacoma X-Runner
Engine: 4.0L DOHC V6
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3:15 LSD
What is my car's problem?!?

Ok I posted about this earlier and the problem is still here. I took it down to a mechanic friend of mine who said it was a deceleration thing that needs adjusting in the chip. So I got the chip adjusted and it did nothing. My car burbles and almost stalls when I let off the gas. Also if I let off and brake hard the car will almost turn off. It will dip down to 450 rpm and such. The car also skips while cruising. And just recently it skips when taking off from a stop and also while accelerating. The tach would be gaining at 2500 for example then the needle will jump to 3200 then go back to 3000. Kind of stutters. I checked to see if I could see any vacuum lines loose and I couldn't. I replaced the wires, plugs, fuel filter, oil, and oil filter. The car is not throwing any lights or codes and when the computer was attached all the sensors were fine. Is this a bad cap and rotor problem? It's not my tranny going is it? I have no clue what the problem is and really am curious on peoples ideas on what they think the problem is. Any help
Old 09-12-2002, 10:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't really say without driving the car myself, but stalling out when braking is obviously a fuel starvation problem. I was thinking fuel filter before you said it was new. Perhaps the fuel pump is having trouble picking up fuel when you do that.

As for skipping while cruising, it could your distributor missing. My stock one was in bad shape at 130k so I replaced it with an MSD one and a similar problem I had went away. It was kind of like a sudden power loss. Check the cap and rotor for corrosion, if it's bad you can get a replacement kit with nice brass terminals at autozone for like 19 bucks. The same ones my MSD distributor came with.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:55 PM
Supreme Member

Yea I am seriously thinking it's the cap and rotor. Would the corroded surfaces cause my kind of problem. I don't think it is the pump. The car would be starved during acceleration mostly if it was the pump not putting out enough. Thanks for your help this is really frustrating to me.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:06 PM
Supreme Member

UPDATE: Ok I replaced the cap and rotor. The rotor was fried so I am glad I replaced it. Doing this fixed the problem of the skipping, hesitation, and gave a smooth idle. The car still burbles after the gas is released and I have no idea what causes this. It does it really bad when I let off and press the brakes hard. It seems like a vacuum leak to me. How should I go about finding vacuum leaks? All the hoses I could see in the engine bay were fine.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73
My car is having the erratic 'skipping' as you call it. I thought it was the cap and rotor as well (advised as such by friend) so I replaced them. Problem is still there though. Ive also replaced the ignition module (i think thats it, the thing at the back under the dist. cap which has 3 connectors to it) and that hasnt fixed it.

Now im told I could have a bad pick-up coil. I tried the ohms test my manual said to do, but I read 0 ohms constantly while the book said i should get between 500-1500ohms. Is it bad? If it is, do I really have to take the whole shaft and all out of the engine to replace it like the book says??

Anyone have any ideas??
Old 09-15-2002, 09:11 PM
Supreme Member

Well I don't have the skipping anymore. The only thing the car does now is it burbles and almost stalls after I let go of the gas. Someone told me this was an issue of the deceleration curve that needs adjusting. The car is having trouble I guess with the deceleration after the gas is let off. Does this sound like this could be the problem? Other than the burbling the cars performance is normal. It accelerates a lot better now with the new cap and rotor. It's just that damn burbling when the gas is let off that really irritates me. Any ideas on what is causing that?
Old 09-16-2002, 09:37 PM
Supreme Member

No one has any clue about the burbling problem?
Old 09-16-2002, 09:44 PM

"Burbling"???
Bogging? Is that what you mean? The engine bogs down when you hit the brakes? It's puzzling what you're describing... I am guessing it is only when you are decelerating and not accelerating.
The more I read it, the more I have the feeling it could be a fuel pressure problem or vacuum leak like you stated... but if it were a vacuum leak it would give you trouble all the time.
I would tend to think it is a fuel pressure problem more than anything....
Of course it could be something like a sticking TPS.... you accelerate, then it STICKS.....
keeping the fuel pressure high when you let off the accelerator....
the engine floods...
might be something as simple as that...
Worth checking anyway.

Last edited by Snowdog 91 Formula; 09-16-2002 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

Well the car is a TPI. The info on the car is on my first post in the sig. The problem only happens on deceleration. The car makes a burbling noise and the RPMs dip down. Performance has not been affected. That problem was solved with the new cap and rotor since the rotor was fried. So for example if I am cruising along at like 2000 or 2500 RPM and then I release the gas and press the breaks the car bogs down. It sounds like an heavily carbed car. The RPMs can drop down to 450. My friend said its an issue with the deceleration curve or something like that. Something about the injectors not knowing to pulse or idle. Does this sound right? I was thinking maybe a vacuum leak but the problem only happens after the gas is let off. I am so confused right now over this.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:54 PM

I edited my post... checked your sig and edited 3x...
I am not an expert by any means.... but you could check those things....
Old 09-16-2002, 11:21 PM
Supreme Member

Hmm I never even thought of a sticking TPS. The flooding is what I thought as well because that's what it seems likes it's doing. I will have to check out the fuel system more carefully and see if I can see anything that might be amiss. Thanks for your advice.