Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Strange sound from motor ???? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange sound from motor ???? HELP

Well, first i say

I'm Marc from the netherlands (europe) and sorry for my bad english

I have only 1 problem now on my firebird trans am from 1986.....
The problem didn't shows always and has been not always be there...... (hope you understand)

When i starting my motor everythings goes OK
Then sometimes when i drive a couple or miles like 1 or 2 a very quit noisy TIC is coming (i think) from the motor compartment like ....tic tic tic with the speed of my motor so when i drive only between 1200 and 2000 rpm.....if i drive hard like 60mph and i let the motor back to low rpm i shows up like tic tic tic very quit when i give gas it becomes quicklier like tictictictic........ and when i give more gas and more its gone........and when is stays away or comes back afther a random time.....

i know its a stupid thing but im worried about it... maby you know what it maby can be so i can ceck it....

im stupid so maby its the rotorcap with coil..... (Its surly not the how do you say the clips above the cilinders KLEPPEN IN DUTCH)....or maby the blower motor for the air in the car itself.....

please help.......give some thing to look at ???????

you can e-mail me at: captain.software@wanadoo.nl
or MSN: captain_software@msn.com

Old 09-18-2002, 05:34 PM

Car: 92 Z28 Z03
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 G80
tell us more about the car fuel injection or carb? size motor? then maybe people will be able to help you.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Sounds like an exhaust problem. Though an exhaust leak is usually always present.

And learn some fricken english, geesh. Just kiddin, I took spanish for 4 yrs in school and I still don't know it. I know words, but sentences, .
Old 09-18-2002, 08:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A ticking sound is normally made by an exhaust leak, and you would hear it as you accelerate. Sometimes air conditioning compressors can make a similar sound that you may only hear at low speeds, so if you have air conditioning on and it happens, try turning it off and listen to see if it still happens.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:41 PM

A lifter can also make randon clicks like that. Add some engine
oil treatment to your oil and see if the noise gets better or goes
away.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:35 AM

Well ill tell you more about it....

First my a/c is cut off well it means my compressor is not running with the motor (the belt is off it) and i always run on VENT or the most right stand (i don't know now what word it is...)
so i don't think it's the airco

Second i had it before i renew the exaust....it's all NEW from the CAT to the end of the car so i don't mean the ticking sound when you hear if the car is still and the pipes are in and out because of the heat or don't you mean that ?

what do you mean by lifter and oil treatment ? sorry my englisch is not that good (damn......i wish i lived in amercia !!!)

and what do you mean bye an exhaust leak is always present.....the exaust must be closed completly i tought otherwise the car wel not be aproved here to drive with there may be NO LEAKS in the exaust

The ticking sound is coming from what i hear when im driving right behind the dash (in the moror compartment) mostly right from me not in the middle of the car but just next to the passenger site

my car is:

305 Carb V8 5.0L 4bbl.......running leadfree fuel.......
my oil is SAE 50W40

Please let me know what else it could be.....i will checking al above and THANKS TO ALL WHo HELPED ME SOFAR........

GREETZ

Marc van den Broek
e-mail: captain.software@wanadoo.nl

ps: maby if i can i will put a file with this post with the sound when driving....i hope i works.....
Old 09-19-2002, 10:06 AM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 355ci TPI WORKED TO THE BALLS!
Transmission: 700R4 T-56 coming
valve lifter:
[1] The cylindrically shaped component that presses against the lobe of a camshaft and moves up and down as the cam lobe rotates. Most valve lifters have an oil-lubricated hardened face that slides on the cam lobe. So-called "roller lifters," however, have a small roller in contact with the cam lobe -- thereby reducing the friction between the cam lobe and the lifter. Also called "valve follower" or cam follower.
[2] A tool that compresses valve springs for removal and replacement. Also see hydraulic valve lifter
Old 09-19-2002, 11:15 AM

Car: 85 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
The kind of exhaust leak that makes that noise is usually: a) a leaky manifold gasket b) a leak at where the manifold collector meets the Y pipe. Makes a constant tictictic that increases in speed and volume with engine RPM
Old 09-19-2002, 11:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A sticky/weak lifter will do what you describe. When you are running low RPM's it isn't pumping up enough and is making the ticking sound. Thne as you increase RPM (which will increase oil pressure) it pumps the lifter up and the ticking will go away and when the RPM's come back down the lifter will slowly bleed off the pressure in it and the ticking will come back.

Also the exhaust leak that was mentioned can cause the same kind of noise. If you are using the stock exhaust manifolds and exhaust gaskets you may have burned the gasket at one of the exhaust ports. The sound would still be there at higher RPM's but would be harder to hear over engine noise.

I would have a listen under the hood while someone holds the gas pedal at the speed where the noise occurs. If you can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from, get a 18 inch length of hose (3/8 inch fuel line hose is good) and put one end to your ear while moving the other around in the area where the noise seems to be coming from.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:12 PM

hmmm

my mother had this problem with her Nissan Maxima. The ticking was caused by the Odometer (the thing that shows how many miles are on the car). it was not hooked up properly and the miles would not move while the unit would still work from the transmission.

Check to see if your miles are moving. if they are then I don't know.

I also have a tic problem, but i think it is the driveshaft. or it could be some plastic rubbbing against something.

Dan