Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Got my new cam.To degree or not to degree?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my new cam.To degree or not to degree?

The fedex guy brought me my new cam and lifters today.I was looking the information in the box and it was talking about degreeing the cam.I have a moroso degree wheel my dad used on his racecar.

The cam is a comp cams 270h.There is directions on how to degree in the information.I also have a movie that came with the degree wheel.I can't do it tonight.I am still waiting on my roller timing chain set and arp bolts.Also do you guys suggest a cam button and locking plate?I am going to order my oil pump and pan in a few days.And if it is worth it I will hold off a little longer.I still have to get the heads redone and lots of other stuff anyway.No big hurry.I want to do it right.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2003, 09:33 PM

Right after I went out and made this post the ups man brought me my timing chain set and bolts.This maybe a stupid question to you pros.But this is my first time doing this.How do I get the timing chain gear off of the crank?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2003, 09:46 PM

Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: 408
Transmission: TH-400
Axle/Gears: 4.11
always degree in a cam on any non stock application. you need a 2 leg puller to get the crank gear off
mike
Old 01-08-2003, 09:51 PM

Alright so I guess I will do that.I was just reading and a web-site says I have to have a piston stop and a dial indicator.Which I have both.Now I just have to decided if I want to go to work tommorow or put it togother.

Haha.There is always something isn't there.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '94 Corvette
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4L60E
Yes, degree it if you have the tools...Most people have a very good reason not to --- cause a degree set cost hundred bucks.

Not only will it confirm the cam is indeed the right one you ordered, but will check the machining consistancy. It's also excellent to verify you timing pointers are aimed at PERFECT TDC.

BTW: you don't need a cam button for a hydraulic cam, those are only needed for roller cams.
But get the locking plate, that's always good to have on any cam!

I finaly broke down and bought a degree set over the summer, cause the cam I had was giving to much vacuum at idle? Sure enough it was the wrong cam, and way way way to small for what I thought I installed.

Ron
Old 01-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512
Anyone ever heard of getting the wrong cam you ordered through summit racing?

I've had a 280H before. My friend just put one in his engine... and its pulling a little less vacuum and its a bit more lumpy than mine was. he got it through summit.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:02 PM

So the guy got all the info for the cam he ordered but might have got a different cam.Wow that is strange.I hope that didn't happen to me.I am probably going to put it all togother and it is a stock replacement one.That would suck.

Last edited by 86budgetSC; 01-08-2003 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:08 AM

Just check the part number stamped on the end of the cam.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:43 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
Budget,

I'm more interested in the FedEx/UPS drivers. Since they apparently delivered back-to-back,did you get to sit in the house and watch them square off for a few rounds in the street? My money is on the FedEx dude, since the UPS girls can only lift 75 pounds....

(And don't start flaming - a couple of my friends are UPS workers, so I'm just kidding. I rag on them all the time about "undermining" the U.S. Post Office.)

As for the cam installation, as long as you have the tools and time, definitely degree your new cam. Chances are that you'll never find one that was manufactured incorrectly, but it has happened. And it may be one of the few chances you'll get to degree a cam. There is nothing like performing the procedure to create a better understanding of what's involved in cam timing and the whole valve cycle process.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:55 PM

haha vader actually.I asked the UPs guy what was up with that.And he said he didn't know.I ordered the parts the same day just different times.I ordered the cam and lifters.And then found out I had some bills.Then my ex girl freind paid me for installing a tranny in her car.So I ordered the timing chain and arp bolts.I installed the cam today.i just did it like it says.The cam is designed to be 4 degree's advanced.And is a good thing I got that timing chain.It has 3 different slots for the crank key way.And one of them is 4 degree's advanced.

Does anyone else have this timing chain set.I had to grind the block so the cam chain didn't hit it.I have read that some double rollers you have to do that.So I considered it normal.Is it?In summit it is part # cca-3100.

Right now I am still learning how to do this stuff.And when I am done with motor.I am going to start on a big block for my 69 camaro.I plan on degreeing that one.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '94 Corvette
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4L60E
Are you sure the cam is calling for 4° advance ?
I know Comp likes to biuld advance into the cam, but havn't seen them have you add 4° ontop of that. Double check the literture on that.
Never had to cut the block back with a chain set? maybe someone here has?

BTW: I like the edelbrock 'TRUE' ( ie. straight up 0° advance) double roller chains/gear set.

Ron
Old 01-09-2003, 10:12 PM

Well to be honest I tried to put the timing chain gear on backwards.(yeah I am a stupid 17 year old kid)So i remember I had read that.So I broke out the handy dandy die grinder.Took the new cam out and filled all the lifter holes with some paper towls.And put the old cam in so now metal shavings would get in there.And went to town.After I got done and tried it again and it still hit I got to thinking.Looked in the instructions and that is when I figured it out.So I flipped it around.(luckily the loc tite hadn't set up yet)And wow it works.Then I got everything lined up right and made sure the motor was at TDC.(Used the little thing that bolts onto the top of the cylinder and over hangs so the #1 piston can't go any farther.And of course lined the dots up.(acctually I couldn't find the dot on the crank sprocket.There was a small 0 there.)So I lined the dot on the cam gear up and the dot on crank sprocket.And all was grand.Turned the motor over twice and they lined up again.So I figured everything was fine.

Anyway It looked like if I hadn't did that little bit of clearancing it would have rubbed.

I will double check the instructions.

Thanks