Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

83 Z or 84 Iron Duke? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
83 Z or 84 Iron Duke? Help!

My wife recently purchased an 83 Z28. After learning the car does not have emissions equipment, she doesn't want it. I already have an 84 Iron Duke SC. Which one should I keep, sell, or junk? See below!

1983 Z28:

1. Needs eshaust work
2. Needs emissions equipment
3. Car is not registered in the state of Texas/has no plates
4. T-tops leak & need new molding + carpet
5. Needs new struts up front

Interior is in decent shape for an 80,000 mile 20 year old car.

1984 Iron Duke SC:

1. Has new shocks installed in rear
2. Has new tires
3. Has new brakes all the way around
4. Has new cat-back exhaust
5. Needs new dash/pad
6. Needs new carpet
7. Needs door panels
8. Needs new headliner
9. Need to lower gas tank to fix fuel gauge.
10. Needs exhaust hangers
11. Registered in the state of Texas till 2004.

Thought about selling the 305 out of the Z. Swapping the dash, etc into the SC. Will already have the V-8 equipment for a V-8 swap into the SC, including a nice 700r4/B&M shifter. What should I do? The Z needs some exhaust work and FI swap of some kind + emissions equipment. But I cannot digest junking the SC with all that new stuff. Nor can I get much, if anything, from selling her. The SC is still running the original Iron Duke with emissions still intact. Just got new tags/registration last weekend. The SC is all one color - red. While the Z needs body finshed and paint. Advice please!!!

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 02-20-2003, 03:12 PM

Thinking about junking the Iron Duke. The exhaust, front brakes, steering wheel, hatch and doors would work nicely on the Z. Or could I get $600 out of it?

Brandon
Old 02-20-2003, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take the Z over the iron duke and put all new/good parts onto the Z, but rest o'crap on the iron duke and sell.

My .02
Old 02-20-2003, 03:58 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

Go to your local "pick-and-pull" salvage yard and hunt down a 1983-88 Caprice, Delta/Regency, Parisienne, or other full-size GM with a 305. Grab the EVAP, AIR pump and brackets, diverter valve and AIR plumbing, and whatever else you need. Install them on your 83-Z and hit the treadmill. If you need a new cat converter, now's the time.

Does the '83 still have an ECM? Oxygen sensor? Cat converter? Anything? Remember that the Z probably has the better sway bars, posi axle, better steering box ratio, bigger radiator, etc. And how much are you going to get for a non-registered car? Sounds like you have some work ahead of you. I'd try to enlist your room mate to help, since she's the one who bought it n the first place.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by Vader
I'd try to enlist your room mate to help, since she's the one who bought it n the first place.
Unless I wish to die tomorrow, I'll ask her! . Her and I had a few ugly fights as to what to do with the Z. She was so freakin' furious about the emission thing. Finally...I told her, "I'll take it and worry about the problems". Have just as much to do on the Iron Duke. Worrying about problems is much better on a Z28 !

Anyhow....has the converter (it's not in the best of shape). Still has the original crossfire ecm. Has a seized air pump & that pretty much covers it. Might have a connection to obtain an inspection sticker (one of those underground things) for a year. That'll buy me some time for a nice rebuild on the 305 or a 350 swap. At the same time, might just worry about the emissions part at that point in time.

Brandon
Old 02-20-2003, 10:58 PM

Another question......

The less work the better! Been told the exhaust manifolds on the car don't have oxygen sensor fittings. Thought a pair of headers with fittings might work nicely. Also been told the intake manifold needs to go. Found a nice Edelbrock intake with the proper emission fittings. Will I need to change my dist. out as well (if I go back to CC)? My question....can I stay non-CC and still run full emissions equipment? Can I run a non-CC Quadrajet and still run full emissions equipment?

Brandon
Old 02-21-2003, 10:09 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

To recap:
  • The car still has an ECM;
  • The cat is still in place;
  • You have an A.I.R. pump (condition suspect).

To get a little more information:
  1. Are you still using the Crossfire or a replacement carb?
  2. If carb, what model?
  3. Is there an EGR valve or provision on your intake?
  4. Is there a diverter valve for the AIR pump?
  5. Does the thermostat water outlet have a TVS provision/hole/plug in it?
  6. Are the A.I.R. injection tubes still on the exhaust manifolds?
  7. Are the A.I.R. check valves and tubes still there?
  8. Are there extra holes/plugs in the colant crossover on the intake?

You should also look at the exhaust pipe on the driver's side carefully. There should be a bung welded in the front side of it to mount an oxygen sensor. Chances are that if the cat is still there, the pipes are stock. If the sensor isn't there, at least the hole should be.

If the provisions are there to mount all the necessary equipment, all you need to do is replace what's missing. If you're running a carb, you may need to get an E4ME and harness, different ECM, and install that. You probably could tune another carb to run well enough to pass the sniffer, but an astute inspector will catch the changes.

Another option would be to install a dual TBI in place of the Crossfire, and use the existing harness and sensors.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Vader

To recap:
  • The car still has an ECM;
  • The cat is still in place;
  • You have an A.I.R. pump (condition suspect).

To get a little more information:
  1. Are you still using the Crossfire or a replacement carb? replacement car
  2. If carb, what model? Edelbrock Performer 550 cfm
  3. Is there an EGR valve or provision on your intake? no
  4. Is there a diverter valve for the AIR pump? don't know & not sure where to look for one
  5. Does the thermostat water outlet have a TVS provision/hole/plug in it? two extra holes exist with plugs in them
  6. Are the A.I.R. injection tubes still on the exhaust manifolds? on the driver's side.
  7. Are the A.I.R. check valves and tubes still there? yes
  8. Are there extra holes/plugs in the colant crossover on the intake?
no

You should also look at the exhaust pipe on the driver's side carefully. There should be a bung welded in the front side of it to mount an oxygen sensor. Chances are that if the cat is still there, the pipes are stock. If the sensor isn't there, at least the hole should be. Still there

If the provisions are there to mount all the necessary equipment, all you need to do is replace what's missing. If you're running a carb, you may need to get an E4ME and harness, different ECM, and install that. You probably could tune another carb to run well enough to pass the sniffer, but an astute inspector will catch the changes.

Another option would be to install a dual TBI in place of the Crossfire, and use the existing harness and sensors.
Dual tbi? I thought crossfire was bacially just that.