Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Need help w/ cooling fan setup!`

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2000, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: YTG Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TH-350
Need help w/ cooling fan setup!`

I am trying to decide on what type of fan set up to use. I have everything off right now an I am getting ready to buy the parts. I could go back to the stock cluch fan but why do that. I have been pondering electric and or new flex fan, cant decide.

If I go to an electric set up I would like to hook up a switch to overide the temp. sensing switch and wasn't sure if both was possible. Also Is it better to get one from the JunkYard or aftermarket? One fan or two?

If I go to the flex fan is it worth it Horsepower wise vs. an electric fan. The only reason I am considering this is for looks and ease of assembly.

Any advice???
Old 07-22-2000, 05:56 PM

Hey Man,
I was looking through some old posts and found yours. I don't know why nobody answered your post.
I assume that you have a non computer controlled car. If I were you, I would NOT switch to an electric fan set up. the old mechanical fans were far superior to electric ones. They are simple and reliable. Just check out all of the posts on this board from
people who are having problems and are looking for ways to wire around the computer
or switch. You already have what every body else is trying to get. Use a good clutched fan, a shroud and be happy when you read all of the posts from guys and gals who are having overheating problems.

------------------
Nor Cal Mike
Red 84 Z28, stock L82 350, L69 carb, intake, and air cleaner
5 Spd, 3:73 Posi, 1 5/8" SLP headers, 3"cat connected to
stock L69 exhaust, KYB's
Some are faster but mine's fast enough.
Old 07-22-2000, 06:23 PM

I had a clutch fan and switched to an electric setup.The clutch fan cools the engine better than the electric fan but ,uses more horsepower.When my electric fan went out a couple of years ago I reinstalled the old clutch setup for about four days and went to the strip soon after.The clutch fan added almost three tenths and I lost just about 4 mph from the drag.I can feel the difference between the two.Flex fans are a waste of money and I wouldnt ever use one on any vehicle of mine.

------------------
83 pacecar,355,sportsman2 heads,3.73s,holley750
msd6a, and much more
www.geocities.com/lae1967
Old 07-24-2000, 07:02 PM

Car: YTG Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TH-350
now this last statement concerns me about the flex fans. I just bought one it should be here tomorrow. It has high pitched angled blades just like stock, for more air flow, only flatens out at high R's. Cheap too like $35. To switch to Electric would have been more of a pain I agree, but I can always sell the fan. By the way I wouldn't have hooked up the fans to the computer, all you need to do is hook a switch.