Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

do I need that EGR valve ? (that big one that both "air" hoses + air pump go to)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2000, 06:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do I need that EGR valve ? (that big one that both "air" hoses + air pump go to)

do I ?

I just installed a set of headers + cat that don't have any AIR tubes , so I figured I Would leave the air pump in there for a while (I have to get a sticker this month)

anyway , car runs fine , no codes , but there were two electrical connections going to that EGR distribution valve , at least 4 hoses (two from headers , one from the air pump and one to that little canister above the air pump)

right now I don't have it in the car , but does it do anything useful/needed for emissions ???

thanks.

------------------
1985 Pontiac Trans Am
305, carb (LG4), mostly stock
Bright blue smurf mobile / black ground effects
Custom C&C T-Tops
1388 old posts + new *****'s posts
http://cargallery.cjb.net
Flow Tech headers , 2.5" dynomax cat-back, home-made dual snorkel assembly, custom ram-air
Old 07-24-2000, 07:00 PM

All the egr does is recirculate exhaust through the intake to preheat it. I'm sure it will effect emissions levels if it's removed, but i live in texas, so i ripped out all of my smog. It doesn't really make a noticeable difference in power, but it does clean up the engine compartment some.

------------------
85 Z28 (Soon to be GMPP 350 HO)
Headman Hedders and matching y-pipe, Edelbrock Performer, Ram Air, Accell cap and rotor, Accell Supercoil, 160 stat, highflow Catco converter, absolutely no other smog equipment, B&M shift kit, Rapidfires, numerous carb mods, and flex-a-light fan.

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."-Ben Franklin
Old 07-24-2000, 07:30 PM
Banned

umm , thanks...

I doubt it will make a difference , if it only preheats stuff then all I have to do is make sure engine is running warm (run it for 30 minutes before I go...)

that's cool... I guess the air pump is going next (right now it's pumping air into "nowhere" I have this whole thing/"fake" setup going on until I Get the sticker
Old 07-24-2000, 07:31 PM

That part you are referring to isnt the EGR valve...
Its a diverter valve, its for the AIR system. Just disconnect it.