Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Smog Pump to Vacuum Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2000, 07:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula
Engine: 434
Transmission: PG
Axle/Gears: 4.33
Smog Pump to Vacuum Pump?

How do I convert the Smog Pump over to a vacuum pump and what type of resevoir do I need?

Thanks

Steve
Old 09-12-2000, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Transformed 86 Coupe
Engine: 400 sbc
Transmission: 700R4
I think Moroso sells an aluminum reservoir. It has a pet**** on the bottom to drain it an a valve cover style breather on the top to vent the air. I'm not sure but I think it has some baffles in the top section (above where the inlet line connects) to reduce oil carryover. I think it is around $80.00.

EDIT: That above should say petc_o_c_k!

[This message has been edited by Hurtin4Hp (edited September 12, 2000).]
Old 09-12-2000, 08:42 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula
Engine: 434
Transmission: PG
Axle/Gears: 4.33
ok, thanks for the post, that solves the resevoir problem but how do I convert the pump? Does anyone have a tech article about it or a good detailed description?
Old 09-12-2000, 11:06 AM
Supreme Member

Thats cause none of us have done it yet. I know a couple of the other mods and I are planning on screwing with it in the near future to see if it's possible. I need a pump to experiment on. my old one is trashed. It's not as simple as bolting it in and moving a hose around.
Old 09-12-2000, 08:04 PM

Car: Transformed 86 Coupe
Engine: 400 sbc
Transmission: 700R4
I have basically finished mine up today.
I started by disassembling the pump by removing the three bolts holding the pulley on, removed the four bolts holding the back cover on and pulled the cover off. I popped the plastic piece on the front of the pump off and then removed the round metal disk that the three pulley bolts thread into. A puller or press should be used since this piece is a friction fit(like the power steering pump pulley). I then removed the pump internals from the case by driving the shaft through the bearing.
I tapped the outlet on the back of the pump with a 3/4" NPT tap so I could thread in a 5/8" hose adapter. I drilled a hole in the side of the pump adjacent to the original air inlet and tapped it with a 3/8" NPT tap so I could thread in another 5/8" hose adapter.
I taped off the front side of the original air inlet and then mixed up some steel putty and worked it into the air inlet from the inside of the case. After it partially cured I test fit the internals and removed excess putty that was making contact with the blades of the pump.
I reassembled the pump using a thin film of RTV between the halves of the pump casing (hopefully this will prevent any carryover oil from getting all over the engine compartment).
As far as plumbing goes I haven't gotten that far yet, although it looks like I will use a valve cover breather designed for connecting a 5/8" hose to for the suction side and I will probably connect the discharge side to a Moroso or Steffs reservoir. Also, I believe I will need to cap off the hole on the other valve cover with something like a push on oil fill cap.
The finished product looks quite similar to the one in the current Summit catalog, page 38(I think) although their discharge seems to be coming out the side instead of the back like mine.
I also haven't figured out exactly where to hook up my vacuum gauge to see how much it pulls. My Moroso catalog says 17" H2O should be the max.