Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car stalling? and electronics Q's...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2000, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Z71
Engine: 5.3
Transmission: Auto
Car stalling? and electronics Q's...

I have a 1990 iroc with a 305 and a five speed. I have been running my car with no real problems for awhile. I was thinking to myself that this is too good to be true. Well this evening i was leaving school and i went to start up my car. It started up fine but once the revs went down it stalled. Then it became harder and harder to start and everytime i would start the car it would soon rev down and stall. I got it home, but it was not easy. I got it to my friends house and opened up the hood and started it up and it worked fine and stayed on with out stalling. Even when i was getting off the freeway it stalled then when i left it ran like normal. Also on the freeway my car backfired and it never backfires. WTF is going on?

Also my car is all manual there isnt even a remote hatch release so i wanted to convert to electric everything: windows, hatch, door locks. What would i need to convert and how would i do it. Please help. Thanks!!!
Old 09-19-2000, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like a short in the wiring somewhere. i would check the mass air flow sensor is it has one. as for your wanting of power everything i got everything you need...window motors and tracks, power locks, hatch and on and on

------------------
"to hell with gas mileage and looks! this is for horsepower"
Old 09-19-2000, 02:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42
i am not sure if you have TBI or the TPI, but it may have been the IAC Valve. if that gets stuck open the car will stall on idle. this happens to me every once in a while. all i have ever had to do i turn the key all the way back so it is turned off then the car would start normally. this may explain why the car ran fine after you completely turned it off. hope this helps

Steve
Old 09-19-2000, 12:54 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
Wruth,

First, it doesn't sound electrical to me. Second, your car does not have a MAF sensor. Third, backfiring at cruise is typically a sign of excessive timing error or lean operation.

As Steve indicated, the problem might be due to the IAC. Clean the air passages and pintle. Check/set the minimum air position. Make sure there are no vacuum leaks. If that doesn't help, check the base timing. the "backfiring" at cruise may also be misfiring, so you might want to look at the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, and test the plug wires.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Make Me Bad"
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0