Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

best way to "pu car up on blocks" for long periods of time?

Old 11-12-2000, 07:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: GMPP 350 HO w/TBI
Transmission: 700R-4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt w/3.73s
best way to "pu car up on blocks" for long periods of time?

its that time of year again...time to put the Camaro away for the winter. I want to do a lot of work to it while its in the garage, but i want to jack it up...and keep it up for probably the majority of teh winter. what do you guys recommend as far as "long-term jacking"? haha that sounds funny. anyways...any ideas/suggestions?

i have jack stands, but i dont want to overstress any parts of the car by having the jackstands at that point for a while.

-brian

------------------
1991 Camaro RS
----------------------------------------------
Ultra Blue Metallic, T-Tops

GM 350 HO Crate Engine - Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Performer Vortec Intake, Holley 670 CFM Throttle Body, Open Air Cleaner w/14"x3" K&N, SLP 1 3/4" Stainless Headers, Edelbrock Victor Series Water Pump, Accell Superstock Wires, Cap, and Rotor, MSD Blaster Coil, Hypertech Fan Switch & Thermomaster Chip, AC Delco Rapidfires, 3" Cat Back, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler

700R4 - 2,400 Stall Converter, Vette Servo, Shift Kit, B&M Super Cooler

Brian's 1991 RS

Central NY F-Body Association

z28boy@twcny.rr.com IM name: Z28 Boy
Old 11-12-2000, 08:28 PM

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts
Z,

I usually stand mine on the front crossmember and front mounts for the LCAs at the rear. The front crossmenber normally carries the weight of the vehicle when it is on its tires anyway, but suspending there relaxes the springs and suspension. The front brackets for the rear LCAs are at a relatively strong part of the floor pan, and since most of the thrust and much of the weight of the vehicle is normally carried at that point, no abnormal stresses should be induced on the body. I've done this on my '86 every winter and all the body panels are still in perfect alignment. I do have an annoying rattle in the right window regulator mechanism when the window is fully closed, but I doubt that is related to my storage methods.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Make Me Bad"
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0