Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Good battery, but still no power...help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2001, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good battery, but still no power...help!

I was changing the headers collector gaskets today on my GTA, and was about to get the car off of the ramps, turned the key and nothing happened. I do not have any power. No lights no horn, no juice at all. I tried to jump it, nothing happened. I took the battery in and had it tested and it is perfect. I hooked it up again, guess what? Nothing happened. I replaced the ignition switch about 4 months ago but at least then I had power to turn on the lights, roll up windows, I just could not start it up. I haven't a clue.

I know I did not touch anything except the collector when I was under it. I did not bump any thing either. I checked the Ground wire, it is hooked up tp the block good and tight. No corrosion. ANYONE who can at least give me any ideas I would really appeiciate it.

It is going to rain all week and my car is on ramps with the windows down. I have a tarp over it but I need my car back.

Thanks

Chris

------------------
1987 GTA 350,rebuilt in 1998. new heads, headers w/y-pipe, 45,000coil, accel plug wires and cap&rotor, k&n, b&m shift kit and trans cooler, modified mass airflow sensor, manual fans switch. No time slip.

1993 Bonneville SSE ALL STOCK. 95,xxx miles and stil counting...
Old 02-11-2001, 04:19 PM

Received 217 Likes on 178 Posts
Chris,

Check the positive battery cable at the starter.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"No matter how hard you try you can't stop us now..."
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
Old 02-11-2001, 04:19 PM
Skip Howard

Looks like you've probably checked but what kind of shape is your positive battery cable in? I've had problems with corrosion down inside where you can't see it. Check for proper voltage down at the starter too.

------------------
85T/A 305/QJ work in progress.
Old 02-11-2001, 04:40 PM

I will look tomorrow. It is getting really nasty outside. I did poke my head back there when I was under the car. Everything looked o.k., but maybe I didn't see everything. I will look but if that doesn't seem to be it, what else should I look for. I want to gather info before I start on my next "wild goose chase". I just need to be pointed in right direction and I can usually take it from there, but I am still a rookie!

I am slowly becoming good at this fixing it back thing, but it is wearing on my nerves and pocketbook! Like my dad told me, "That nickle and dime stuff will kill you, Bud."

Thank you everyone,
Chris
Old 02-11-2001, 04:49 PM

Received 217 Likes on 178 Posts
Chris,

And just for kicks, double check the battery connections. It's fairly easy to cross thread the bolts and get very marginal contact on the side terminal batteries. I've done it once or twice and paid the price.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"No matter how hard you try you can't stop us now..."
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
Old 02-11-2001, 06:04 PM
Banned

Chris,
Your fusable links (smaller red wires) that connect to your starter may be broken inside. The outer insulation can look fine, but the strands of wire inside are of extremely LOW quality and become brittle from heat. The fix is to cut your fusable links up high on the firewall near your wiper-motor, and run new wire straight to the positive post of your battery.
You will then have power and this problem will never pop up again.
Be sure to leave the ignition wire going to the starter solenoid or the starter will not activate.
ODB