Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Voltage redlining

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voltage redlining

I was wondering if someone could explain why I am getting my voltage guage to redline. I installed a new CTS and plug and now after my car runs for a time the voltage goes red and I am getting codes 15 and 53. Does 53 have something to do with the EGR and what can I do to solve this problem. Thanks
Old 05-01-2004, 06:17 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
15 is coolent senser, 53 is over volatage code. you should of been able to find that in your manual. not sure the two codes are related, but i'd go back and look at what i had repaired and see if anything isn't right. you might just have a weenie alternator trying to power a big sound system and amp causing the over voltage problem.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:16 AM

I did look at a manual plus 2 different sites about codes and they were all slightly different on explaining 53. The manual said it may be the EGR solenoid and a website said High voltage at battery or high voltage at EGR valve or voltage reference error. I remember reading someplace here about a problem with something causing the system if over 17.1 volts for 2 seconds a code will set. Is this the same thing? I have a 106 amp alternator and a stock sound system.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:08 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah if the alternator over charges it'll set the code, not sure how long it takes but i'd say 2 secnds is enough. it would seem you've done something wrong but it may be too that the alternator just decided to go out on you at this time. if the alternator over charges for long it'll burn it's self up. only place i looked for codes was list in my manual i keep by the puter. never seeen any referance to the egr system. not sure what i'd do, trouble shoot the CTS code or replace the senser again. have the alternator tested but if it only does it at random times testing may not find anything. are you sure all the connections and grounds are good for the charging system?
Old 05-02-2004, 04:13 PM

I guess I am pretty green at where to even start looking. I have learned through the grapevine that the person that I bought this car from lied to me on alot of things about the car so I am sure that it wont be easy to figure out where to start. I can tell that he messed around with a few things under the hood. When I first bought it I went to a shop and even they had problems trying to get the car to do what it was suppose to do so they had me check under the dash on the passenger side and see if the numbers matched on the ECM which they all did. I guess I could buy another CTS or I guess I did notice on another thread an explanation on how to check code 15 but I will have to find a scan tool. would that be a place to start or like you suggested to check the grounds. Also I havent checked the output of the alternator with a multimeter yet but if the guage is still showing 14-15 then is my alt. still O.K.? I am probably biting off more than I can chew. Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:38 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
As EDE has said:Code 53 for a TPI & MPFI engine = SYSTEM OVERVOLTAGE.

Code 53 for a TBI engine with system installed = VATS

Code 53 for a carburated engine = EGR control.
Attached Thumbnails Voltage redlining-27.gif