Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Pushrods too long = LOTS of missing horsepower? ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 01:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512
Pushrods too long = LOTS of missing horsepower? ?

so my car was running like crap the other night. then it sprung and oil leak, and I wound up with about 2 quart of oil in my pan. suddenly, the car comes to life and runs like a champ.

the only thing i can think of, is the lifters stopped pumping up which "shortened" my pushrods, which I beleive are too long... giving me GOBS of extra power. the car basically stopped missing and sputtering under boost, instead it ran smooth and clean, for a change. all of this, with low oil pressure.

cant think of anything else. suggestions? ordering new pushrods tommarow of the correct length anyways, but always good to have suggestions. Also verified it was the oil pressure loss that made the car run great... fixed the leak and filled back up to 5 quarts. car runs like crap again.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:34 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why would you of had the wrong length push rods if you knew they were, why would you of not already had the correct length push rods ordered? do you know the correct push rod length or are you guessing? have you checked lingth or geometry?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by ede
why would you of had the wrong length push rods if you knew they were, why would you of not already had the correct length push rods ordered? do you know the correct push rod length or are you guessing? have you checked lingth or geometry?
yes yes yes and yes its a LONG story.. but Im not worried about that whole thing, I have a pushrod length checker and ive got the correct length pushrods on order already..

The question is, was this causing me my loss of power? is it possible? or am i going to put the correct length pushrods in and find that I still have a miss until I remove 4 quarts of oil from my oil pan?
Old 07-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Supreme Member

I have a sinking feeling its the lifters. What are the chances that my "V6 roller lifters" are pumping up at higher RPMS causing the valves to hang open? I do recall placing a 1/2 pre-load on them, would be a probable cause for a weak rpm band.

because it doesnt feel like a miss... its just a lack of power as the RPMS climb, somewhere around 2500-2800RPMS it just gives out, and the engine stumbles... it will still climb RPMS but its like im driving a 120 horsepower civic backed with 2.73' gears.

as the oil runs lower, the car picks up power. its linear, too. as the oil pressure drops / oil was leaking out, the cars RPM band would progressivelly get better. for instance, when the car warmed up on the highway, I could SEE and HOLD 5PSI of boost in overdrive at a very LOW RPM (2000-2200 RPM = 80-90MPH) and the car would accelerate smoothly. but if i downshifted to 3rd, or un-locked the converter (flashes to 3000~) it would stumble and lose all of its power. When I lost some oil from a leak, it started getting better. Soon I could accelerate in 3rd gear (low-rpm, lockup) to 110-120MPH, before a loss of power. then as the car got hotter and more oil leaked out, it would accelerate to 140~MPH like nothing in 3rd gear. This is when I realized something was slowly working loose, I stopped to check things out and found my oil down to 2 1/2 quarts, luckilly my oil pressure guage (mechanical) was not showing a total LOSS of oil pressure, but it was showing some weird traits, such as the Oil pressure would DROP if i gave it some gas. that was sign to me...