Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Why does my car stall????

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2001, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 IROCZ
Engine: LB9....rebuilding coming soon
Transmission: rebuilt 700R4
Why does my car stall????

It will run for a couple minutes then stall,it stalls at idle and only runs at higher rpms for a few minutes before ****ting out,and sometimes when driving at 50-60mph the gas pedal does not respond and it downshifts when I give it gas,it is not the transmissiopn though cause it works fine,we just replaced the fuel pump a moth ago,and the ignition module crapped out a few times before,it is one of these,what do you guys think????

------------------
Drive it like you stole it
Old 06-17-2001, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Firstly, posting a million times won't help you out, if anything it will upset people.

Secondly, give us some more background infomation. What kind of car, what kind of engine, what kind of mods... Are we talking 70K miles or 270K... What do you mean by ****ting out, does it sputter, does it just die? If it sputters it's most likely an air/fuel delivery problem, if it just flat out dies it's spark related.

As far as a solution goes... Make sure the timing hasn't slipped, do a good tune up (or at least make sure everything is in good running order) and then diagnose from there. I'd suggest cleaning out your entire Throttle body ... including IAC and all that junk. They get really gunked up... bad ignition modules as well as O2 sensors have a knack for doing something like you described.

Lastly, the downshift you describe is perfectly normal, when the throttle is more than 2/3 (or was it 3/4?) of the way open the trans will downshift (providing you are in it's speed range). At 50-60, yes it will still downshift.

If that doesn't shed some light, or help you out in the tiniest way, then it's outta my league.

------------------
1985 Camaro SC - 2.8L, auto.

Mods:
Removed air baffles, mandrel bent cat-back pipes (but stock replacment muffler, Dynomax Turbo and Catco converter are on thier way)