Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Bottomed Out Going 100mph Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heres a cookie!!! You spend that kind of money on your car, i expect you either know how to fix it yourself, or you can pay someone to fix it with the large piles of money you have lying around to replace 3rdgens that you so easily go through... dont get so butthurt that you messed up and ppl notice... if you didnt want to get flamed for it, you should have went to the drag/street racing board and told them what you did, they have more sympathy for ppl who dont use racetracks
Old 04-11-2005, 05:24 PM

Car: 1991 z-28
Engine: zz4 350
Transmission: t-56
Originally posted by SchwarzCamaroRS
i already said i screw around in my car, but i dont come on TGO and whine about it, if i were to spend that much money on my car, i would invest the time to know how to fix it... i have broken parts cuz of reckless driving, i have come close to near wrecks because i drive recklessly, i have since learned... and it didnt take me 3 thirdgens... all im trying to say is, dont come whine asking for help if you cant handle the bad as well... anyways, im done with this... im going to go work on my camaro, good luck friend i hope you get her fixed, cuz even though bad **** happened, i still hate to see ANY thirdgen bite the dust...
ok another retard.... do you think bill gates knows **** about how to fix a ferrari.. or gives two ****s about wrecking it?

im not whining im asking what to do to fix it... there is no sense in buying a whole new car when i have a small problem.. yes i put aalllll that money into it so therefore i should know about cars??? welcome to you are poor.... and i am not.. i paid someone to do most of the work,.... just beacuse i have alot of crap done to my car mean si should know how to fix it?? what planet are u from. i should invest my time to fix it? im asking for help right now am i not?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 1991 Z-28
ok another retard.... do you think bill gates knows **** about how to fix a ferrari.. or gives two ****s about wrecking it?
no, he doesnt... but he pays ppl to fix his ****, not go on webforums to ask stupid questions... "I bottomed out, what should i look for??"

DAMAGE TO THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR CAR... if you need help finding the bottom, its the side with the tires on it...
Old 04-11-2005, 05:30 PM

no, he doesnt... but he pays ppl to fix his ****, not go on webforums to ask stupid questions... "I bottomed out, what should i look for??"

DAMAGE TO THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR CAR... if you need help finding the bottom, its the side with the tires on it...

listen.. retard...

read the first post....

it says my RPMS are flicking, the check engine light is flashing... i cant accerlate...

so by looking under the car and seeing some dent up stuff... i should automatically know why its doing this? thank you mr. retard
Old 04-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1966 impala , 1998 sebring vert,1978 buick regal turbo, 1991 chevy silverado 3/4ton 4x4 lifted
Engine: 283, 2.5,3.8 turbo 350
Transmission: powerglide,auto overdrive, th350,4L80

give him a week from the sounds of it he will have it on its top in a parking lot anyway...LOL

but seriously now your comparing yourself to bill gates????????

thats funny in its self i guess your a multi billionare driving a thirdgen and having to work on it yourself huh???....LMAO
Old 04-11-2005, 05:36 PM

but seriously now your comparing yourself to bill gates????????

thats funny in its self i guess your a multi billionare driving a thirdgen and having to work on it yourself huh???....LMAO [/B][/QUOTE]

its call an analogy...

a·nal·o·gy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-nl-j)
n. pl. a·nal·o·gies

A. Similarity in some respects between things that are otherwise dissimilar.

B. A comparison based on such similarity. See Synonyms at likeness.

hence getting to the point that just because you spend money on your car, doesnt mean you necessarily have to know everything about it.

i swear, some of you people amaze me with your retarded comments
Old 04-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Supreme Member

rpms flicking has something do do with the distributor/timing, there is a couple wires that connect the two, you could have broken one of those wires, or your timing is extremely off... that could happen if you nailed somethin REALLY hard and you spun a bearing or something, lots could do that...

check engine light flashing? some codes cause it to go on, then off, but flashing could be a short in the light circuit or a problem with the entire diagnostic system...

you cant accelerate.. could be a number of things... you might have crushed a fuel line, no fuel, no go... you could have tweaked the motor a little bit messing with the throttle linkage, you could have done something really nuts internally to the motor like spinning a bearing or something like that, you could have knocked your clutch out of alignment causing it to slip like a mother. The exhaust might be trying to squeeze a monster burrito fart out of a tight a$$hole, thus making it so your motor cant breathe anymore.

you have potentially messed up A LOT, or a little, its going to take some work to find it all out... im sorry for gettin all flamey, but man, take your lashings, you messed up... but i hope some of this at least helps...
Old 04-11-2005, 05:39 PM

Car: 1993 Toyota Supra
Engine: Inline 6
Transmission: 6 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.13
rpms flicking has something do do with the distributor/timing, there is a couple wires that connect the two, you could have broken one of those wires, or your timing is extremely off... that could happen if you nailed somethin REALLY hard and you spun a bearing or something, lots could do that...

check engine light flashing? some codes cause it to go on, then off, but flashing could be a short in the light circuit or a problem with the entire diagnostic system...

you cant accelerate.. could be a number of things... you might have crushed a fuel line, no fuel, no go... you could have tweaked the motor a little bit messing with the throttle linkage, you could have done something really nuts internally to the motor like spinning a bearing or something like that, you could have knocked your clutch out of alignment causing it to slip like a mother. The exhaust might be trying to squeeze a monster burrito fart out of a tight a$$hole, thus making it so your motor cant breathe anymore.

you have potentially messed up A LOT, or a little, its going to take some work to find it all out... im sorry for gettin all flamey, but man, take your lashings, you messed up... but i hope some of this at least helps...
^^^ Most constructive post yet. *not being sarcastic*
Old 04-11-2005, 05:39 PM

i just jacked up the car... all i can really see damage wise is the headers.... nothing else.... 1 of the header pipes is completely shut on each side, and 1 of the other header pipes coming down is half way shut..... as for the other 2 header holes on each side coming down... they are fine...

this is restricking flow, but enough to be causing all these problems? or what is causing the RPM's to be bouncing around and check engine light when i give it gas?
Attached Thumbnails Bottomed Out Going 100mph Please Help!!!-img_0359.jpg  
Old 04-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70
You're calling everyone retards cause they can't telepathically see underneath the car you ****ed up being a jackass? Nice retard.

If you really want help, which I'm sure you're not going to get much of, cause when you destroy this car while killing an innocent bystander someday some of us my feel some guilt in knowing we actually helped you get behind the wheel again, Maybe get off your ***, put the car in the air, maybe take some pics so people could actually help you.

'tard....

I'm going to save this post so should you kill someone
driving recklessly in the camaro for 6 years now
we can send this to the DA and make sure your dumbass gets locked away for life.

And people wonder why people with fast cars get so much crap from police.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:43 PM

so by looking under the car and seeing some dent up stuff... i should automatically know why its doing this? thank you mr. retard
Start by looking under your car. Find out what is damaged and start there. Take pictures and post if you need to. Definitely check the oil pan. If the oil pan is crushed, it can get pretty nasty (read Red Devil's posts).

If you can't jack up your car and take a look, call a tow truck, get it to a shop and have them fix it. Since you aren't worried about money, and have other people do your work, that is probably the most logical choice.
Supreme Member

those headers are hurt, but not that bad... that shouldnt restrict your exhaust any more than a manifold would... im more worried about something you cant see... the computer could have tried to adjust to the change (the impact and damage) and messed everything up. Computer controlled cars like doing that kinda thing... mine advances the timing WAYYYYYY far when i get into closed loop, so i have to keep it cold to have it run right until i can get a better tune done... its really hard to tell without being right there though...
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Camaro LT
Engine: 355 L98
Transmission: T56
i just jacked up the car... all i can really see damage wise is the headers.... nothing else.... 1 of the header pipes is completely shut on each side, and 1 of the other header pipes coming down is half way shut..... as for the other 2 header holes on each side coming down... they are fine...

this is restricking flow, but enough to be causing all these problems? or what is causing the RPM's to be bouncing around and check engine light when i give it gas?
Engines are essentially air pumps, if you close off exhaust for 1/4 of the engine how is it supposed to get the exhaust out? YOU! Out of the gene pool!
Old 04-11-2005, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by Ukraine Train
Engines are essentially air pumps, if you close off exhaust for 1/4 of the engine how is it supposed to get the exhaust out? YOU! Out of the gene pool!

yes and the person who posted about you just said its not that bad....

its not that bad... the problems occuring are more likely not exhaust related... but then again i dont know anything about this

Last edited by 1991 Z-28; 04-11-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Supreme Member

yeah, if ONE of the tubes is closed on each side, thats 2/8 cyl that arent breathing anymore... if the exhaust cant leave out the back of the car, it will find other ways... essentially you are running a 4.3L v6 now and pushing the exhaust from those two pipes back into the motor, that would deffinately cause stumbling and acceleration problems
Old 04-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Supreme Member

they dont look so bad in the picture, but like i said, its hard to say unless youre there in person... but like i said, if two of the primaries are closed up, that could be the root of all your problems... but if they still flow decently well, there is something more
Old 04-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83WS6TA
Engine: ZZ4
Transmission: TH350C
Axle/Gears: 3:23
i just jacked up the car...
Reread the post from Arrow and try again - seems like you missed a step.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:53 PM

so do you think that is the problem just new headers? i just find it hard to belive but yet, 2 clynders are completely not breathing at all... but it drives rough, i mean really bad

if feels like the cluctch is slipping beacuse when i give it gas, the rpms jump up and down.. the check engine light comes on only when this is happening...

the problem is i have to jack out the engine to get the headers off

the good news is... i had to do it anyways beacuse my starter is stuck under there beacuse i didnt put on a ministarter when i put the headers on it.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Camaro LT
Engine: 355 L98
2 cylinders blocked off is not "not that bad" LOL
Old 04-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

it could be just the headers, check your mounts though, the motor mounts and transmounts... if they are torn, good chance you knocked your clutch out of alignment... not a fun thing... clutch would slip, you couldnt accelerate, engine rpm would jump, not just tach... lucky for us we have a nice crossmember that holds our engines up, those are pretty strong.. but the transmission one, not so much... see if you cant find the culprit... you might have to get the headers off, pull the clutch and everything to re-align it all, especially if you busted all 3 mounts...
Old 04-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Supreme Member

taking two of our cylinders away is like taking one away from a 4 cyl... have you ever seen a 4 cyl run with a dead cyl??? its hilarious!!! but a 100hp 4 banger with one dead cyl is now a 60 hp 4 banger... if that... if you really want to know how bad that actually is, unplug ONE of your plug wires when you get your car fixed, try to drive it around... its a big mess.. MASSIVE power loss, its all about physics and companion cylinders, firing order, spark timing... engine management... a complex yet wonderful thing...
Old 04-11-2005, 06:01 PM

it could be just the headers, check your mounts though, the motor mounts and transmounts... if they are torn, good chance you knocked your clutch out of alignment... not a fun thing... clutch would slip, you couldnt accelerate, engine rpm would jump, not just tach... lucky for us we have a nice crossmember that holds our engines up, those are pretty strong.. but the transmission one, not so much... see if you cant find the culprit... you might have to get the headers off, pull the clutch and everything to re-align it all, especially if you busted all 3 mounts...
well ive had my clutch go out on me before, and when you floor is say in 6th gear, it will just slip out and go all the way up...

its not exactly like that..

when i floor it (say in 6th gear again) the car will attempt to accelerate.. then the rpms will jump up and down and the car will jump around with the rpms ...

so if the clutch is not aligned will it do this kind of behavior?
Old 04-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member

also the tranny (t56) seems to be jerking around alot, and if i give the car gas at idle.. it will accelerate the rpms on its own for a minute, then fall back down... im clueless

this means you tap the gas and the rpms raise even more after you let off? sounds like it could be a sticky throttle linkage..
Old 04-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Supreme Member

well ive had my clutch go out on me before, and when you floor is say in 6th gear, it will just slip out and go all the way up...

its not exactly like that..

when i floor it (say in 6th gear again) the car will attempt to accelerate.. then the rpms will jump up and down and the car will jump around with the rpms ...

so if the clutch is not aligned will it do this kind of behavior?
exactly like that actually... it slips intermittently, its only making contact on a couple spots, rather than the whole thing, so it grips those spots and slips past the rest, it might not be out of alignment though, returning to an earlier post, check your slave/master cyls for the clutch... if you messed up one of those, the clutch will not engage/disengage properly, therefore it wont grip properly..
Old 04-11-2005, 06:06 PM

well when i got it home, i turned it on to see where the exhaust leak was coming from.. and i tapped the gas... the idle went really high up and then came back down, accelerated on its own for a second... my car somewhat did that before due to lack of tuning... but not that bad..

do you think the car is safe to drive? seeing as how i still made it home, it drives ok assuming i dont try to accelerate fast... i do not see anything leaking
Old 04-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Supreme Member

also, you said the whole car jerks, like violently like you are getting on/off the throttle like to the floor then brakes or, like you touch the gas to accelerate and then just let off? cuz if the clutch slips, its usually not a violent jerking... thats usually engine... its more like the car slows down, rpm goes up.. you had that problem before..
Old 04-11-2005, 06:08 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

You are a cop... hence no real education and are calling a kid with a college degree and better job then u will ever get an idiot... nice
I spent 10 years in software engineering, making rich executives even richer. Then I decided I'd rather help people. Even foolish kids, who race on the street, and crash. Like yourself. I'm currently working two jobs. 40 hours in software, another 20 on the streets. Combined income of around $120,000 yearly.

Don't start the education line with me.

Your a goon. I hope your car blows up, and you get a bus pass. I fear for the general public. No man is safe around you.

Heres an idea. Why dont you walk into your local USMC recruiting station, and do something for your country. Maybe it will smarten you up.

-- Joe
Old 04-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Supreme Member

i woudlnt drive it... if something is wrong, out of alignment.. something, it could make EVERYTHING worse, A LOT worse... you could potentially have to replace the whole clutch, motor, who knows... id leave it parked if at all possible until u get it figured out...
Old 04-11-2005, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by anesthes
I spent 10 years in software engineering, making rich executives even richer. Then I decided I'd rather help people. Even foolish kids, who race on the street, and crash. Like yourself. I'm currently working two jobs. 40 hours in software, another 20 on the streets. Combined income of around $120,000 yearly.

Don't start the education line with me.

Your a goon. I hope your car blows up, and you get a bus pass. I fear for the general public. No man is safe around you.

Heres an idea. Why dont you walk into your local USMC recruiting station, and do something for your country. Maybe it will smarten you up.

-- Joe
i call

prove it.

pay stubs....

drivers license, photo ID. pay stub with same name...

i have cars to back me up if this one fails... not that worried about it..
Old 04-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
You have no clue.

I'm not the one you called retard there. I work in a law firm.

In my 'slow' stable which you say you can readily beat, I have a GTA, a Cobra and a Vette. I drive a v-8 SHO as my family car, and then there are the recreational vehicles. See what you get when you don't wreck 'em?

And the comparison to Bill Gates... what exactly is there to compare except lack of morals?

Oh, and this was the theatre in Fairfax... where exactly is this empty deserted 'backroad'?
Attached Thumbnails Bottomed Out Going 100mph Please Help!!!-vamovie.jpg  
Old 04-11-2005, 06:20 PM

i call

prove it.

pay stubs....

You're a ****ing douche.

Drop it off at a GM dealer and wait till they call you with a bill. If you're going to speed, do the world a favor; learn to drive at a race school. Trailer your car to the track and "abuse/wreck it" there.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Supreme Member

You obviously have no clue how well we pay our officers and troopers here in MA. 100K/yr. is rather common.

Here is the next closest addy that come up for 'movie'. It's in Falls Church...
Attached Thumbnails Bottomed Out Going 100mph Please Help!!!-vamovie2.jpg  
Old 04-11-2005, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Red Devil
You have no clue.

I'm not the one you called retard there. I work in a law firm.

In my 'slow' stable which you say you can readily beat, I have a GTA, a Cobra and a Vette. I drive a v-8 SHO as my family car, and then there are the recreational vehicles. See what you get when you don't wreck 'em?

And the comparison to Bill Gates... what exactly is there to compare except lack of morals?

Oh, and this was the theatre in Fairfax... where exactly is this empty deserted 'backroad'?

im glad you went through all that trouble to locate the WRONG movie theater...

do you have anything better to do with your time then not help?
Old 04-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member

alright dude, i tried to help you, you cant just keep starting **** though... there is a little "ignore" button on the posts, if you dont want to hear them, ignore them 1st, then press the button, you wont see anything else they say... keep the conversation tech related now, starting arguments with guys much smarter/more experienced than you isnt smart... but i agree with Matt86z, if you dont have the time to fix it yourself, just get it towed in and fixed.. other than that, i have no idea...
Old 04-11-2005, 06:29 PM

since you think your so clever
Attached Thumbnails Bottomed Out Going 100mph Please Help!!!-stupi.jpg  
Old 04-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Supreme Member

I tried, you ignored my advice and in fact probably still think that if it's not leaking oil you are all set. Feel free to keep ignoring me.

As for the theatre, it's the only one that came up and only one in the book. Give me an addy and I'll find it, it takes me all of 10 seconds to verify the property and get the shot. But you didn't volunteer it last time I asked either.

You should start asking the MA crowd house prices next so you can gag and call BS again. You have no clue about a damn thing, cars, economy, common sense. Use the money to go buy a clue, or at the least go bcak to school and at least become book smart... speaking of which, with all that money, why haven't you bought a manual or two and a paperclip yet?
Old 04-11-2005, 06:30 PM

alright dude, i tried to help you, you cant just keep starting **** though... there is a little "ignore" button on the posts, if you dont want to hear them, ignore them 1st, then press the button, you wont see anything else they say... keep the conversation tech related now, starting arguments with guys much smarter/more experienced than you isnt smart... but i agree with Matt86z, if you dont have the time to fix it yourself, just get it towed in and fixed.. other than that, i have no idea...
trust me i appreciate your help.. your the only one doing any of it.. i have an idea where to start now and whats what i need.. i just moved to VA i do not know any local shops i can trust.. so im not sure where to take it.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:53 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23
i call

prove it.

pay stubs....

Prove what? I don't have to prove anything. I get up every morning knowing I'm me. Your you. End of story.

You wanna walk the mile checking my **** out, start in thirdgen chat (irc) and ask about me. I'm very open with my friends.

And i've invited numerous board members (including red devil) to my shop (which is a hobby that costs me over 1k a month in rent and electric alone) anytime for a cold one, and to talk about cars.

-- Joe
Old 04-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LS1
since you think your so clever
Nice deserted area. Some day a big deer walks out into your path and ends up in your lap for a quick ride into the nearest tree.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:46 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
As a plain old TGO member, I have no respect whatsoever for street racing. I don't condon it, I don't tolerate it, and I won't discuss it.

As a TGO mod on this forum, I'm expected to enforce rules such as making sure members aren't:

Posting insulting words, phrases, comments, or anything off-topic.
Name calling.

In addition, users are strongly encouraged to:

Maintain a sense of humor and decency.

The tech aspect of this thread has been covered. Opinions have been expressed.

The value of this thread staying alive has been exceeded.

Say goodnight, Gracie...