Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Paranormal Issue? or Tech Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 12:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: THE LT1 SWAP SHALL BEGIN!!!!
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: LSD! =(
Paranormal Issue? or Tech Issue?

My Camaro has never done this before.. right now as I was driving down this road to take my girlfriend home... I was going about 55 mph and decided to let go of the gas since I wanted to slow down a bit considering gas prices .... Then I rested my foot on the gas not pushing it... and all of a sudden the pedal goes down BY ITSELF as if someoneone was pushing it, I was freaked out and pressed the damn brakes (errrrrrrrr) burning rubber all hard and my car did a 180 going 60 mph I didnt hit any cars thank *** the road was empty tonight.. I then started laughing and my girlfriend was frighten I then got back on the road and decided to go slower so I drove about 40mp and IT DID IT ONCE MORE!!! I then pulled over and called my brother to tell him about the situation and he said to go back home immideatly,hung up with him and got back on the road and dropped off my girlfriend at her house since she was only a few clicks away... I then had to go back on the same road.. this time the camaro didnt give me any problems but I drove at 25-30 mph on a 60mph limit road I am the 3rd Owner of this Camaro I asked the 2nd Owner why the 1st Owner was selling it and he said it Was his wife selling it... Dont know if the car is possesed or if this is a technical issue???

Can someone help me out on this please ? Also I just got the tranny rebuilt.. So its not that it might be the throttle cable? I think..Any Advice of what this could be? If you need me to take pics of anything please tell me so I can be helped!

I dont want my Camaro to be jelous of my g/f have a CHRISTINE problem on my hands
Old 04-17-2005, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 191 V6
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.23
I have no idea what your problem is, but I do have a shot in the dark theory.

You have a short somewhere in your cruise circuit that is causing the throttle to open by itself, and the vacuum vent line is plugged or otherwise screwed up.

It would really help my theory if:

A)your car has cruise control
B)You left the cruise switch in the ON position (though not necessary)

Hopefully someone will be along soon that can confirm my brilliant theory.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: THE LT1 SWAP SHALL BEGIN!!!!
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: LSD! =(
Originally posted by Ice Fisherman
I have no idea what your problem is, but I do have a shot in the dark theory.

You have a short somewhere in your cruise circuit that is causing the throttle to open by itself, and the vacuum vent line is plugged or otherwise screwed up.

It would really help my theory if:

A)your car has cruise control
B)You left the cruise switch in the ON position (though not necessary)

Hopefully someone will be along soon that can confirm my brilliant theory.

My problem is that... the Pedal went down by itself, I dont think it is suppose to do that.. and Yes it has cruise control but.. I dont really mess with that and the little stick is so worn out that the letters are fadded to black.. so I cant read ON or OFF on cruise control it always stays on the LEFT side.... so I dont know that is on the ON position or OFF position......
Old 04-17-2005, 02:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: HSR 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
Thats what cruise control does, it pulls the pedal down. If you have a short or anything it could activate. It doesn't activate under a certain speed (maybe 40mph?) so driving that slow may have prevented it from turning on.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it doesnt activate under 25mph, and a short or plugged vac line is quite possible... the left is all the way off, but a short is still possible... vac lines could cause it too, mine doesnt work, lol, didnt when i bought the car, so i have no idea what its like on a 3rdgen