Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Valve Seals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 02:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.8
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Dana 60
Valve Seals?

Wondering who has changed theirs and how hard it was? Anything that I should expect to replace that I didn't think I would have to and etc.. Taz, I think i remember u had to do this. How much did everything cost ya? I am taking a guess that this might be my problem and I just want a little more knowledge before I go looking into it further.

Also, things to check for to make sure that it is most likely my valve seals and not a small head gasket leak. I checked my oil and there was no radiator fluid in it. My radiator fluid was a little lower than normal but not a lot. But one time my radiator hose to my thermostat was completly flat! And I have black soot by my tail pipes and my plugs indicated I was running rich. Yet I haven't messed with my fuel pressure. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
Oh and what size are valve seals? Thanks.
------------------
Eric Natzke
91 Firebird 305 TBI
"It Ain't Stock"
http://members.aol.com/j007golden/91firebird.html
For info on certain parts or mods go to the site below
http://members.aol.com/j007golden/modeval.html

[This message has been edited by 91Bird305 (edited October 14, 2001).]
Old 10-14-2001, 06:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-1
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Go to your local NAPA and get the seals, valve cover seals and new retainers while you're at it. Pep Boys told me they only had a kit that cost $60.00!! A bunch of idiots.

Anyhow, while you're at it, get a good valve spring compressor, and if you don't have one, a manual.

It's very simple to do. You remove the valve covers, maybe you'll want to loosen the belts to make turning the engine over by hand easier.

You have to hold the valve up with either compressed air (there are fittings that will thread into the sparkplug hole) so that when you take the spring off, it won't fall in the cylinder.

I did NOT have access to an air compressor, but you don't need one. I bought 50 yards of nylon twine, and fed it into the cylinder while it was at the bottom, and them brought the cylinder to the top to hold the valves in places. It was cake.

All you do, is get your valves held up by either method on a given cylinder. Unbolt the rocker arms, depress the spring with your valve compression tool (Make sure you buy one that is easy to use...the parts store should be able to help you out there), remove the retainer, slip off the old seals and on with the new. It's really pretty simple once you get in there.

After you're done, you'll have to re-adjust your rocker arms, or you could take advantage of the situation and upgrade to roller tip.