Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

major engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 5.7 liter
Transmission: 700R4
major engine problems

driving to work today.. was hearing what seemed to be some loud drivetrain noise... and engine temp slowly climbing to 220.... so.. I think whats going on... my oil pressure looked good.. although i was going to change this soon since its on its last leg (rapid fluctuations, and slow leak at sensor on block)... oil pressure and oil level are two different things though... anyways.. moving along.. i take the nearest exit ramp and slow down to make the right turn into a shell station with a water machine... as soon as I slow down.. the drivetrain noise is louder.. no wind to drown out the noise.. so I am scared already...

I stop in front of the water machine and pop my hood.. very loud clack sound that increases with RPM... so I check my oil... damn... the level was real low.. so I immediatly ran inside to buy a few quarts of quaker state... (all they had other than the el cheepo golden state brand for a buck a peice)

added the oil.. and saw it on the dip stick after stabbing her again to check the level... but the loud clack continues... at this point.. my reservoir tank for collant was boiling.. so I pop the rad cap and brownish bubbly water spews out.. I put 3 quarters in the machine to get water flowing and proceed to fill the coolant system.... clackety clack sound still going.. I tighten the rad cap and I look at my exhaust and see little puffs of smoke coming out of both of them in tune with the lope of the engine... (burning water I guess) I get in.... call in to work.. turn around and come back home... going about 30 with hazards on.... clackety clack sound still happening but water temp goes back down to about 215.. still running how.. but slowly climbing again...

sound only happens when there is RPM.... in neutral... no sound... car is VERY sluggish with very poor exceleration.... and upon exceleration the sound is louder and faster... and very very embarrassing... kinda felt like it should have been heading to the junk yard rather than my home....

so... whaddya think? blown head gasket along with a spun bearing? I know not of any oil leaks other than at my oil pressure sender... just dont know where the hell al my oil went to begin with..... water either looks rusty or is mixed with oil...

I know that the rotating assembly in the bottom end rotates at half the RPM then the top end does.. and the clack sound sure does seem to be in tune with engine RPM... so... could it be a froze piston.. or major piston slap? maybe I can go outside and record the sound and get it up on this thread for you to hear... guess i should... man...

much thanks in advance..

your input is really appreciated.....