Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Crank or Cam first?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '83 T/A
Engine: 355
Transmission: BW T5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27
Crank or Cam first?

Hey, I have a quick one for ya. I'm putting together a 350 and I'm doing it "by the book". The book says to install the crank/pistons first. No problem. However, then it says to install cam, but to insure the cam bearings are very clean.

My question is how am I suppose to clean the cam bearings if I can only reach the first one?? (the crank/rods get in the way when installed)
Old 11-01-2006, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: '85 Monte SS L69 305
Transmission: TH 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 3.23
The book said to _insure_ the bearings were clean, not _to_ clean them.
You figured out the result yourself; you have to clean them before you install the crank. If you forgot then you'd have to backstep.. Good thing you read through the guide before actually doing it step by step.. Books aren't always perfectly written for all applications..
Old 11-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,710 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
It's very easy to clean the cam bearings with spray-can carb cleaner after the rods and pistons are in.

Clean them mostly up beforehand; then put in the pistons; then do the spray-can thing at the last, right before stabbing in the cam, while the block is still upside-down. Lube the cam bearing journals with motor oil, if you have a plews type oil can do the bearings themselves as well, or put a few more drops of oil on the cam journals right before they go into each bearing; and use either the cam mfr's lube on the lobes if it's a flat tappet, or motor oil or a light smear of white lithium if it's a roller.