Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Changed Ignition switch, still not right.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Changed Ignition switch, still not right.

Changed my Ignition Switch today becuase the starter just clicked one time before, When ive changed it and tried to start it it just clicked ONE time, no more. tried 5 times, clicked everytime.. tought of pusing down the brake pedal (because the BRAKE light goes on when the starter clicks ONE time) and the car starte to turn, and stopped , pushed little harder and the car started.
You have to sound files how it sounded :
You hear it click one time, and when I push the brake it starts to turn an then stops. and then I try again and it starts... why is it starting when Im pushing down the brake pedal?!
Start 1 : http://theking.joakimweb.se/problems/start1.wav

clicks one time and starts when I push down the brake pedal..
Start 2 : http://theking.joakimweb.se/problems/start2.wav

We measured the cables from the battery to the starter, nice and stable value, and the cable from the battery to the engine block, nice and steady value.. When the starter clicks the volt goes down to ~11.58V so its getting power but nothing really happens until I push the brake pedal.. (sometimes like 3 times it started without pushing the brake pedal...) Could there be anyproblems at this to brake switches ?!

Battery is fine, got it to the batteryshop and the tested it and it gave good values..

any other ideas of what could make it do this ?! Its a really strange problem and it starting to **** me off...

So please help me out friends

Last edited by Theking; 02-21-2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: changing to soundfile 2
Old 02-21-2008, 01:05 AM

No ideas ?!

No ideas of what can cause this problem ?!
Old 02-21-2008, 03:02 PM

Re: No ideas ?!

Could transmission (park/neutral) switch make the starter not to turn over until BRAKE pedal is pushed down ? or could one os those two switches I showed above make it not to turn until I push down the brakepedal ?

Really out of ideas.. The car has stock factory auto Th700R4
and Ive checked the cables from and to the starter, measured the cables, fine and stable values... any ideas of why it just clicks one time and when I apply the brake it turns over ?!..

and where can I get those 2 switches in the picture ? if they are the problem...

please..please help me out friends..
Old 02-21-2008, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 CAMARO
Engine: 92-350 +.030
Transmission: 86-th400
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Changed Ignition switch, still not right.

break petal should have nothing to do with starter. those switches in the pic, one is for brake lites and other is for tranny. neutral safety switch is on shifter and will stop car from starting. unless there are some loose wires down by the brake petal or or possible short im not sure.

good luck
Old 02-22-2008, 03:38 AM

Becuase its starts everytime I push down the brakepedal, what have caused this problem. Never had it before... its so strange that is just have started to do this...
Really dont know what to do..

No one else that had this or similar problem then ?
Old 02-22-2008, 06:16 AM

Car: 88' Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 383ci TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: stock

It's a good security feature?

beyond that, you're going to have to become very friendly with a volt meter. that's the only way you're going to diagnose this problem.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by IROCWPB
It's a good security feature?

beyond that, you're going to have to become very friendly with a volt meter. that's the only way you're going to diagnose this problem.
Yeah I know, Ive checked alot of cables in the wiring diagram and everyone checks up good.. thats the worst thing.. thats whats making me so p*ssed that the problem always comes back, can be gone for a while and then its back again...
Old 02-22-2008, 06:31 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 GTA "Cocaine"
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4

take your volt meter and put the red terminal on the s terminal of the starter

it should have a purple wire attached to it

ground the black

have someone turn the key- while the key is forward you should get somewhere in the nieghborhood of 12v but only with the key in the start position

if this is the case then take the starter off and have it tested you might get away with just changing the selinoid
Old 02-22-2008, 06:35 AM

Yeah need to get it up on jackstands before I can reach down there.
But then the other question comes up, WHY does it starts to turn over when Brake is applied ? thats the strange thing..

Ofcourse the brand new ministarter can be broken but, it seems wierd that it turns over when brake is applied..
Old 02-22-2008, 06:49 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 GTA "Cocaine"
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4

are you sure that is not just coinsidence

if it is not then get under your dash and shake all the wiring lightly

dont rip it out of there but make sure it knows you moved it around

try your theory again

if shaking solves the problem and it starts then I will have hated to give you this advise if you dont do the following step

FIND THE SHORT AND FIX IT
Old 02-22-2008, 06:58 AM

coinsidence several times ? because its turnsover everytime i push the pedal, and when not pushing the brake its only clicks ONE time... like solid CLICK.

I will go back and shake the wires and try to start it, if it dosent start when im shaking the wires it prob.. not the wires right ? maybe some switch or ?
Old 02-22-2008, 07:37 AM

Car: 88' Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 383ci TPI
Axle/Gears: stock

Your starter has only two requirements to turn. Ignition in the run position powers/energizes the solenoid. Turning the key a bit further sends another signal to the solenoid to power the starter. Your starter pulls power directly from the battery, the solenoid just tells it when to operate. It's a very simple system and shouldn't be too hard to figure out where you're going wrong, but you need to get a voltmeter to that solenoid on the starter to figure it out.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:32 PM

Today I found out that it really dosent matter if I hold down the brake, becuase it started without holding the brake...

Turned the ignition on and it clicked one (1) time and BRAKE light comes on, turned off the ignition and on again, starter clicks one (1) time again.. tried again off and on fast and it started to turn over and then stopped with a almost like a choke... turned the ignition off and pushed down the brake and fast turning on the ignition and it turned over 4times and stopped like it stuck, fast on and off again and it turned over nicely and good and started... got it up to running temp and turned it off and tried again, started fine..

WTF could cause this problem ? there is alot of power in the battery..
Will try to jumpstart the starter directly from the battery and see whats happening.. really enoying problem ....
Old 04-02-2008, 06:37 PM

I had this same problem with my 92 RS. Change your starter. That is the problem, I guarentee it! Autozone sells them for like $60 and it comes with the starter AND solenoid...its all one unit. It'll only take you 20 min, and a couple bolts to pull the starter. The problem is your solenoid.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Five04SHO
I had this same problem with my 92 RS. Change your starter. That is the problem, I guarentee it! Autozone sells them for like $60 and it comes with the starter AND solenoid...its all one unit. It'll only take you 20 min, and a couple bolts to pull the starter. The problem is your solenoid.
I got a new hitatchi ministarter installed from september 2007.. Changed it 2 times already the samt **** again.... Could it be bad again ? not feeling like changing it again... it couldnt be the lock cylinder thats messing with me ?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:11 AM

Car: 86 vette
Engine: 383
Axle/Gears: 3.07

I had a starter issue, intermittent, so I attached an extra wire to the purple one. When it would act up, I would touch it to the battery. If starter turns it is the wiring, if not the starter. Turned out to be a crimped connection inside the solenoid, soldered it and all was well. It would only happen when real hot.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:29 AM

Changed the igntion lock cylinder (with VATS) yesterday.
The car turned over the first time. So my problem with the clicking seems to be gone... Will do some more test but I think its solved the starting problem

Thanks all for your help
Old 05-02-2008, 06:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

VATS should prevent you from even getting the "click" (your starter soenoid engaging and pushing out the spur gear onto the flexplate/flywheel ring gear) if it's the problem.

I had a mysterious clicker like this a few times. It was usually the starter. In one case the spur gear on the starter was machined improperly and it wouldn't always engage the flexplate ring gear. It would just hit tooth-to-tooth but not slide into engagement. If that's the case, the starter won't turn over. The spur gear must FULLY extend into engagement or power will not be sent to the starter motor to begin cranking the engine over. I actually laid under the car and had somebody else turn the key while I watched what was going on. Once I saw what was happening it was very obvious. Sometimes I would have to turn the key 10-15 times, always getting a single click, before it would engage and turn the engine over like it should.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:48 PM

Its seems to be working now, been starting it for 12 times now and its started every time now... seems like my clicking is solved
Old 05-14-2008, 04:25 PM

Well now I got my new starter (the one (1) clicking came back even when ive changed the ignition switch and the ignition lock cylinder..),

Tested the startar (the new one) and it where bad...
they where out of stock on the 1,4 kW Hitatchi ministarter, so I got an 2,0 kW Hitatchi ministarter on the warranty instead, that dosent do anything

Installed it today and the car turned over right away, will do some more test but now the one (1) clicking must be gone. Ive changed ignition switch, ignition lock cylinder and starter 2 times now.. checked all the grounds too...

So hopefully its fixed now