Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Stock Air Cleaner PCV, Thermostatic Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '92 RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Stock Air Cleaner PCV, Thermostatic Cleaner

I took my car in for an emmissions inspection today and failed. The car (TBI) had an open element air cleaner on it when I bought it. The IAT sensor was missing and i fixed that, but the PCV isn't hooked up and neither is the Thermostatic Air Cleaner (which I've never heard of before). I have the big metal stock air cleaner, but I dont know how everything is supposed to be hooked up or if I'm missing parts. Can someone give me pictures or diagrams of how it's all supposed to be hooked up?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 13 Ford Focus SE / 90 Camaro RS
Engine: 122 I4 / 305 V8
Transmission: DCT / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.895 / 2.73
Re: Stock Air Cleaner PCV, Thermostatic Cleaner

Originally Posted by ĦMR.AWESOME!
I took my car in for an emmissions inspection today and failed. The car (TBI) had an open element air cleaner on it when I bought it. The IAT sensor was missing and i fixed that, but the PCV isn't hooked up and neither is the Thermostatic Air Cleaner (which I've never heard of before). I have the big metal stock air cleaner, but I dont know how everything is supposed to be hooked up or if I'm missing parts. Can someone give me pictures or diagrams of how it's all supposed to be hooked up?
After hooking these things up in the correct way you need to use some B12 Chemtool and clean up your throttle body as well as run 1 16oz can of seafoam on a full tank of gas, run 33% of a 16oz can in your crankcase (oil), and then run another 33% of a 16oz can into your PCV vaccuum line that goes directly into your intake. Read the directions on how to do the last bit. Assuming your EGR is functioning correctly and you do not have an exhaust leak you should pass your emissions. Here is where the PCV valve hose goes, and a pic showing a trick you can use to reduce your tail pipe emissions.

Breather pic:

For the breather just remove the hose from the valve cover and install a independant breather like the one I have installed then position the breather hose next to the valve cover breather if they do visual inspections. For me they didn't do visual inspections so I just left it like how you see it in the pic.

PCV pic:

Oh and don't forget to spray some B12 in the PCV hose to get some of the gunk out. And install a new PCV valve if you have worn rings/valve seals. If the PCV valve has a burnt or darkened carbon like appearance on the bottom buy another one. They are barely $2.