Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car smokes and stinks bad. But still Runs great

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: auto
Car smokes and stinks bad. But still Runs great

I have a 1988 firebird 305. Ran has always ran great with good power. But has always smoked. Not a bad smoke but i very smelly smoke. About 2 yrs ago the fuel pump went out and there it sit for a few years. I'm just getting around to replacing the pump and after installing it. The car would not get any spark. After replacing all the things that could make the car lose spark i got it back on the road.( bad distributor ) Car runs good again, just like it did a few years back. But the smoke is still there. The smoke only is there when u first start it and not always there. Then randomly every once in a while when running it buffs out more. Color is kinda white. But not like a water white. The smell is like nothing i have smelled before. It's kinda gas and something smelling. Any ideas out there.

I'm think about removing all the smog stuff and seeing if it goes away. It seems like a bad smog equipment.

O2 sensor, coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition module, throttle position sensor, fuel pump, fuel filter,oil and filter. All items that have been changed
Old 08-31-2008, 11:31 PM

Car: 96 Souped up Firebird, 89 KITT
Re: Car smokes and stinks bad. But still Runs great

most likely its the valve guides and valve cover gaskets both contribute to this problem. Having mine done on my 89 350 in the next month or so. you may want to use some 'seafoam' to clean out everything.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:03 AM

Car: 1991 RS v8

My 83 does the same thing. It runs like a new car for how many miles it has on it.. But it has this smoke issue..Before i started doing my long drawn out tune up.. It would start smoking a light white blueish color.. Smelt like a mix between gas and oil. So far i drained all my oil and am going to put in some thicker stuff. I'm going to sea foam the crap out of it.. put some new plugs in it.. change valve covers and cover gaskets.. carb clean the carb.. Hook up my smog pump again and change the 02 sensor if i can get it off.. Ill let you know if my smoke problem stops so you can get an idea on what ive done
Old 09-01-2008, 05:22 AM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 2.8L out of a 89 camaro
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: ?

valve guides need replaced..
Old 09-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?

sounds to me that you need new valve seals . not a bad job , can do easy on a weekend . disconnect battery before removing valve covers to do it . with covers off check for sludge build-up . sludge will build-up around lwr. front and rear drain holes on cylinder heads . oil does not drain back into crankcase as fast as it should . thin screwdriver and shot of air will clean them up . then flush eng. with cleaner a couple of times . should be much improved then . good luck .
Old 09-01-2008, 10:23 AM

Car: 88 firebird
Transmission: auto

ok so if it is valve seals, then in a 3000 mile oil change i would see a loss of some oil right. Cause Its not seeming to burn oil at all
Old 09-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?

not really , 1 or 2 drops of oil can make a lot of smoke . i'm just telling you what worked for me . i had the exact same problem . i'm not looking for a debate , and it was an easy fix . first just make sure drain passages are clear , that may be all you need to do . good luck .