Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

brand new brakes dragging on my gta

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 formula
Engine: 350 tuned port. bolt ons
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
brand new brakes dragging on my gta

I have a same post in the brake board but no respones. I have an 89 gta new calipers new rotors and pads. the car stops very well now its just the car seems like the back brakes are dragging. slowing the car down alot. I do remember it was a very hard fit to but the caliper to rotor with the pads on. the car rims are burning hot to feel them with your hand. so what do you think i don't want to mess up my new brakes.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:03 PM

Car: '91 Camaro 305V8, '91 Camaro 3.1V6
Re: brand new brakes dragging on my gta

seized caliper? Bearings not adjusted properly? E-brake sticking. If you have drums in the back did you reset the adjusters before putting it all back together?

All wheels hot or just a few?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by OldCelica
seized caliper? Bearings not adjusted properly? E-brake sticking. If you have drums in the back did you reset the adjusters before putting it all back together?

All wheels hot or just a few?
Im talking about the rear brakes. new calipers so they should not be seized. thirdgens don't have wheel bearings in the back and its disc brakes not drums. both the back wheels are hot and smell like burning brake pads. I do notice If i slam on the brakes the car swings to right. so any idea of what is making my brakes drag on the rotor.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird
Engine: 355
Transmission: T56

Formula, if you have a seized caliper you will know instantly, because when you brake, the car will pull to one side.

How badly are they dragging? Can you still drive the car? What makes you think they are dragging? (not to be smart, but just curious, might be an allignment issue, and im curious to know how you determined they are dragging). If 1 caliper is dragging, and you are able to drive, after a drive, tat caliper will be VERY VERY hot, and the others wont be.

If you ARE able to drive it, take the brake components apart on that side, and grease all the sliders. Grease will work, but silicone lubricant works best. You will lube up the the two big bolts you pull off with allen keys,, and all inside the caliper where the bolts go. And the METAL contact points on the pads and caliper. Dont get any grease on the pad itself.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:07 AM

Car: '91 Camaro 305V8, '91 Camaro 3.1V6

You only have drums in the back if you haven't converted....... Maybe one day

Anyway, I would jack the rear of the car up. Release the e-brake, then star spinning the rear wheels. I would assume that you would hear excessive rubbing or something. Were the drums hard to put back on?

Did you put the shoes on correctly? The shoes are specific to where they are installed. If you have the front and rear ones switched that may cause issues. I would take the whole thing apart one side at a time and redo the job. I know it's a pain, but better safe then sorry.

BTW there are bearings on the rear axles. They are just not adjustable.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by online170
Formula, if you have a seized caliper you will know instantly, because when you brake, the car will pull to one side.

How badly are they dragging? Can you still drive the car? What makes you think they are dragging? (not to be smart, but just curious, might be an allignment issue, and im curious to know how you determined they are dragging). If 1 caliper is dragging, and you are able to drive, after a drive, tat caliper will be VERY VERY hot, and the others wont be.

If you ARE able to drive it, take the brake components apart on that side, and grease all the sliders. Grease will work, but silicone lubricant works best. You will lube up the the two big bolts you pull off with allen keys,, and all inside the caliper where the bolts go. And the METAL contact points on the pads and caliper. Dont get any grease on the pad itself.

Hope that helps.
I know the back brakes are dragging because if i drive the car up to 40 mph and let of the gas the car will start slowing its self down plus the brake pads smell from the rear of the car. Im going to try taking off the e brakes. I heard they tend to stick