Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Need to take just a quart of oil out

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Need to take just a quart of oil out

I went to Advanced Auto today and picked up all my quarts of Royal Purple and my AC Delco oil filter to put the first oil change on the car since I have had it in November. I also got two quarts of Marvel's Mystery Oil, one to keep using in the gas tank, and the other to run the sludge that has built up over the years out of the engine. Now my question is how do I need to go about just getting one quart out so it can run the Marvel's Mystery oil for a while before I put in the Royal Purple?
Old 12-27-2008, 01:01 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Change the oil filter. If it's a short one, put a long one back on.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:31 AM

Re: Need to take just a quart of oil out

Jack it up, unscrew the oil pan screw partly out.... Slowly drain until you have about a quart out, tighten the bolt and fill with mystery oil... About the best way unless u have a fancy pump like they use on the new Mercedes....
Old 12-27-2008, 02:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

If you have a sludge problem, you should use Auto Rx instead of MMO.

http://www.auto-rx.com/
Old 12-27-2008, 09:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '87 IROC/'68 SS
Engine: 5.7L/350
Transmission: 700R4/Muncie 4-spd
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt / 3.31 12 bolt

In my opinion, you should leave it alone. Change the oil more often a few times. The detergents will clean it out slowly. MMO is ancient technology and anything that loosens the sludge faster is likely to cause other problems. You can spin a bearing from clogging an oil passage. If ain't broke, don't fix it. :-)
Old 12-27-2008, 09:41 AM

Car: Pontiac

Deserves repeating.

In my opinion, you should leave it alone. Change the oil more often a few times. The detergents will clean it out slowly. MMO is ancient technology and anything that loosens the sludge faster is likely to cause other problems. You can spin a bearing from clogging an oil passage. If ain't broke, don't fix it. :-)
Old 12-29-2008, 08:03 AM

The engine really isn't having a gunk problem I just figure that with the clock sitting at 155,xxx there are bound to be some deposits sitting around that I would like to knock loose before putting the Royal Purple. The car runs perfect aside from my gauges not reading right so I was just wanting to do this to lengthening its life some. Saturday I installed an open element on it and the power I picked up was amazing so I am hoping between the Mystery Oil and the Royal Purple I can have a perfect engine.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by deoverton
The engine really isn't having a gunk problem I just figure that with the clock sitting at 155,xxx there are bound to be some deposits sitting around that I would like to knock loose before putting the Royal Purple. The car runs perfect aside from my gauges not reading right so I was just wanting to do this to lengthening its life some. Saturday I installed an open element on it and the power I picked up was amazing so I am hoping between the Mystery Oil and the Royal Purple I can have a perfect engine.
There's nothing magical about Royal Purple (other than the price) or MMO. Just run a good oil (even, dyno oil will be fine), change it every 3K or so, and be happy. 155K isn't really a lot for a well maintained SBC.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:56 AM

Car: 1991 Z28 1LE
Engine: 370CID GenIII
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 4.33 Moser 9inch

yes and if the motor is running right then whatever deposits are in there u probably want to leave alone, after that many miles/years seals wear and break down those deposits alot of times clog those seals and keep u from having leaks, if you go cleaning them all out youll probably start a nice lil oil leak or two.......this is why most people warn against switching to a synthetic on a high milage vehicles, and if u want to use a good synthetic just stick with Mobil 1 or Amsoil, dont waste your time with that overpriced even for synthetic purple junk, dont believe everything u see on horsepower tv!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by igotta355z28
yes and if the motor is running right then whatever deposits are in there u probably want to leave alone, after that many miles/years seals wear and break down those deposits alot of times clog those seals and keep u from having leaks, if you go cleaning them all out youll probably start a nice lil oil leak or two.......this is why most people warn against switching to a synthetic on a high milage vehicles, and if u want to use a good synthetic just stick with Mobil 1 or Amsoil, dont waste your time with that overpriced even for synthetic purple junk, dont believe everything u see on horsepower tv!!!
That whole switching to synthetic at high miles is a myth. I converted my old dodge to synthetic at 120k ran like a top to 200k and the tranny gave out..... Royal purple is by far not junk but i do agree mobil 1 and amsoil are likely a better choice due to the $$$. There is still a significant difference between conventional and sythentic and is well worth the change if you ask me. Thats not to say coventional can't keep your car running well past 155k as long as you keep up with the matience they'll run a good while
Old 12-30-2008, 12:12 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 1LE
Engine: 370CID GenIII
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 4.33 Moser 9inch

Originally Posted by 88iroc52387
That whole switching to synthetic at high miles is a myth. I converted my old dodge to synthetic at 120k ran like a top to 200k and the tranny gave out..... Royal purple is by far not junk but i do agree mobil 1 and amsoil are likely a better choice due to the $$$. There is still a significant difference between conventional and sythentic and is well worth the change if you ask me. Thats not to say coventional can't keep your car running well past 155k as long as you keep up with the matience they'll run a good while
Its not a myth most synthetics carry a much better detergents package there for they clean out the sludge in a hight milage motor really well and sometimes they can clean sludge that was cloging up deteriated seals. The myth is that it will destroy your engine. And my wording of junk is not accurate yes, i apologize for that, royal purple is good stuff but for less money you can get amsoil or mobil 1 wich is still a decent chunk of change but just as good if not better. I swapped my 99 camaro over at 75k no leaks, im just pointin out there is a possibility of a leak, but the synthetics are way better, if u get a leak just fix it lol.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:43 PM

Car: '91 Camaro 305V8, '91 Camaro 3.1V6

The only reason that switching to synthetic has any effect on oil consumption is because it lubricates better. It is able to seep into those valve seal and gasket cracks that conventional doesn't.

As far as cleaners go. Stay away from kerosene based cleaners. Stick to oil based cleaners that have a decent detergent package. I personally drain one quart of old oil and top it up with ATF. Let it run for 5 - 10 min and drain. Works pretty well.

As far as the worry of cleaning engine gunk causing leaks. That is false. Any gunk that is thick enough to seal a leak shouldn't build up in a well maintained engine. Also, gunk that does build up usually builds up is areas that the oil just sits. Like the lifter valley, bottom of oil pan, or around the valve springs in the heads. The cleaners don't typically attack that gunk all that well. It goes after the gunk that builds up in the high pressure areas of the oiling system. Bearings, oil passages, oil pump, etc.

I have done quite a bit of research into this subject as I used to manage a couple quick lubes in my area. I had to know my stuff to educate my customers and let them decide what they wanted to do. I couldn't pressure sell crap so I had to educate myself and believe in the products I was selling.

Man I miss having a pit at my beckoning call!
Old 12-30-2008, 06:08 PM

Update

Ok I found one the the suction deals with a pipe big enough to fit down the dip stick into the oil pan. Yesterday I got my quart out and put in the Mystery Oil. So far so good, I have no leaks and its still running strong. I volentier to be the guinnie pig on this debate. I know all cars are not the same and will react differently but whats one more try. I am unsure how long to leave the Mystery Oil in so if anyone is (Pro Myster Oil) lets here what you think. As for everyone who is against the Mystery Oil have yall evey had any bad expirences with it, cause I have talked to a few people who have had great sucess with it.

PS the google spell checker aint working so pardon the misspelling
Old 12-30-2008, 06:19 PM

Car: Pontiac

According to the National Transportation Safety Board, MMO is made of mineral oil, Stoddard's solvent and lard. Pretty high tech stuff...for 1923.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:47 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
A little higher tech: https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aef.aspx
Old 01-01-2009, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by five7kid
Ah, the old "your driving conditions may be far from routine" pitch. Amsoil is a marketing company. It's all about how their customers perceive their products rather then their technical merits.