Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engines Misses after Hard Accelaration (DRIVING ONLY)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Z-28
Engine: 355
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Stock
Engines Misses after Hard Accelaration (DRIVING ONLY)

Folks

I have an issue may be you can help me here. The problem I have is that if I drive the car and floor it, it will slowly die on me at deceleration. Here are the symptoms:

The engine starts fine, and if stationary, I can accelerated to the end and it performs beautifully. I mean... is tune nicely... or so it seems.

If I drive the car and do it normally (not hard flooring the gas pedal) it performs as it should.

But if I floor it while driving, and will die on me at deceleration.

I think the engine is tune properly, since while stationary it perform nicely.. meaning... you can push that deal to the end... and the engine rev beautifully.. no back fire on the whole acceleration deceleration range.

The is no kind of smoke coming from the pipes, the spark plugs are clean.

I have a traditional classic set up. Not ECM, mechanical Q-jet, Indepedent Mallory Unilite Ignition system (no box at this time)--- Distributor, coil, ballast resistor.

Here are a couple of interesting thins worth noting:

1) The ballast resistor gets really hot (I have nothing connected). I have followed the manufacture specifications.

2) when I try to meassure the RPM with a Digital Multimeter, I get out of range oscillating reading... meaning.. I cannot meassure the RPM with the Digital Multimeter.

3) I just changed the Mallory Unilite module, and I followed to the teeth the instructions... No errors there... trust me

With all this, can anybody trow me a bone here....
Old 07-26-2009, 09:34 PM

Re: Engines Misses after Hard Accelaration (DRIVING ONLY)

you by cance figure this out im having the same exact problem
Old 07-27-2009, 11:57 AM

Car: Z-28
Engine: 355
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: Engines Misses after Hard Accelaration (DRIVING ONLY)

Hi, the problem lies on the ignitino system, and was the ballast resistor. To be honest, from my experience, I dont like mallaroy. Next time I will get a MSD. Hope this helps.