Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

why so heavy? rpo codes included.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z camaro
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23 posi
why so heavy? rpo codes included.

well i was reading on the side of my 87 iroc camaro 305tpi/auto and on the side it reads that it is 4284lb or 1943kg. is this true? i didnt think it would way this much. its pretty heavily optioned but i didnt think that much is this in a didnt way to read weight then how say claim irocs weight around 3200-3500pounds.

i have all the rpo codes. here are some of the main options on her 305tpi/auto, t-tops, deluxe cloth interior, heavy duty components, a/c, top of line ( then ) bose stereo but the extra speakers were stolen, steel hood, heater, defrost, disk brakes all around, oil cooler, well it has all the options needed to be able to have the 350tpi, power everything, 3.27 posi, luggage trim, roof console, 105amp generator, so does the 4200pounds seem about right or is that over rated weight rating. also theres a spare tire, remote control mirror, tilt sterring, and cruise control. ya very optioned lol.

also have a question i had my camaro sitting outside for 5yrs and i just got her running from a chevy mechanic shop and i was charged 1500 dollars but im not sure if i was way over charged. parts total was 367 dollars and labor was over 1000 bucks for i think 3 day. also how hard is it to replace spark plug wires and spark plugs? how long? any suggestion on the very best plugs/wires. i have pics of the dealer recipt.

also they used 5w30 oil is there a better oil type to use? whats the best oil?

and does everyone get this when they decode there cars? engine, gas, 8cyl, 5.0, TPI, HO
i got this of this site's decoder HO i belive stands for high ouput but i dont remember high output 305tpi's.

and with this rear axel/engine combo's is squealing the tires from a bit above half throttle from a dead stop ( without brake applied just throttle ) and sqeal a couple secs tell it finally pulls away does it sound like its underpowered or not?

also how lamboghini's and ferrarie's have this button that raise's the car about 4 inches for going over bumps and going into steep driveways is there anyway to install it on my camaro? would this be a fairly easy thing or not.

srry about all the questions.
Attached Thumbnails why so heavy? rpo codes included.-rpo-017.jpg   why so heavy? rpo codes included.-rpo-012.jpg   why so heavy? rpo codes included.-rpo-018.jpg  

Last edited by iroc stangs; 10-17-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Supreme Member

Re: why so heavy? rpo codes included.

also here are the rpo codes.
Attached Thumbnails why so heavy? rpo codes included.-rpo-007.jpg  
Old 10-17-2009, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5

The sticker on the door reads the GVRW weight, which is the max load the car can handle when it's full of gas, luggage, fat chicks etc. The repair price sounds about normal for dealer service, want it cheaper then you have to learn to do it yourself.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by DartByU
The sticker on the door reads the GVRW weight, which is the max load the car can handle when it's full of gas, luggage, fat chicks etc. The repair price sounds about normal for dealer service, want it cheaper then you have to learn to do it yourself.
man im 13 with no tools, no ppl to help, no dad nothing. i didnt even know what was wrong how in hell would that of worked?
Old 10-17-2009, 11:25 PM

Car: 93 firebird formula
Engine: 350 Lt-1

didint look on where you live, but if you live where its hot all the time 85-95+ then you want to go with 10-40 weight. cold alot, then 5-30 is good. everyone will argue with whats the best motor oil, go with what you want. i trust valvoline. as for your plugs and wires, easy to buy not so easy to install. not imposible, takes some time though. i think you said you had the tpi, so your emmisions are still on? getting rid of those makes it easier. and lets see.... the suspension thing. yes you can get them for your car, i cant rmember what they are called, but they are like bags that fill with air. lowrider trucks have them. not to be taken in the wrong way, but your 13? why the worry about the car? still cant drive it for awhile. not best to have it all done then let it sit, having your car sit can be just as bad as running it too hard.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:28 AM

Car: 1984 Camaro Z28 T-tops
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3.23

5w-30 for cooler weather, 10w30 otherwise is fine. As for not having any tools or anyone to teach you how to work on cars, neither did I when I started working on my car at 16. I went to the local store, picked up a Haynes manual and a basic wrench and socket set. First thing I did was change my oil, then I replaced cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Just jump in and refer to your manual often. Anything you don't get, wait 10 minutes, read again, and if you still don't get it you can come here and ask. You're cash won't go far spending it in a shop.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Donald87FB
didint look on where you live, but if you live where its hot all the time 85-95+ then you want to go with 10-40 weight. cold alot, then 5-30 is good. everyone will argue with whats the best motor oil, go with what you want. i trust valvoline. as for your plugs and wires, easy to buy not so easy to install. not imposible, takes some time though. i think you said you had the tpi, so your emmisions are still on? getting rid of those makes it easier. and lets see.... the suspension thing. yes you can get them for your car, i cant rmember what they are called, but they are like bags that fill with air. lowrider trucks have them. not to be taken in the wrong way, but your 13? why the worry about the car? still cant drive it for awhile. not best to have it all done then let it sit, having your car sit can be just as bad as running it too hard.
well see im trying to have a nice quick car for HS. i wanna be driving something that will suprise ppl and stop the bad stereotypes like ******* and stuff like that. im a big car nut lol.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700r4

Seriously? You're 13 with an IROC? Look out world. Have fun man!
Old 10-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Be careful in a car like that. At your age if you're out to have a fast car and "Surprise people at stop lights" you're gonna get yourself killed or at least in trouble. Doesnt matter how fast the car is either really, as long as it's one that begs you to put the pedal to the floor, you'll have to control yourself.

I hope you're paying for everything, if so that makes a big difference. You kids dont put cars into telephone poles as often after you pay for them.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:45 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro Z28 T-tops
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
Be careful in a car like that. At your age if you're out to have a fast car and "Surprise people at stop lights" you're gonna get yourself killed or at least in trouble. Doesnt matter how fast the car is either really, as long as it's one that begs you to put the pedal to the floor, you'll have to control yourself.

I hope you're paying for everything, if so that makes a big difference. You kids dont put cars into telephone poles as often after you pay for them.
I hear that, cars ain't cheap!
Old 10-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex

well i inheareted the car from my mother but im not no speed junkie ya i'll be going fast at times but i feel over 100mph or if the road is just to dangerous your just kinda askin for a wreck. also im not going be nearly hitting people iv seen vids of ppl just zooming buy others way to fast and just nearly wrecking to risky for me. but the car means ALOT to me my mother has put so much time and money into buying the car and then fixing it up i would be horrified if i wrecked her.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by tom3
Seriously? You're 13 with an IROC? Look out world. Have fun man!
ya lol, yep i plan on havn some fun lol