Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

DISTRIBUTER INSTALL

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 TTA
DISTRIBUTER INSTALL

I have a 89 350 and need to Install my new msd distributer,Any one know of a distributer install thread? or Were to set it?
Is it #1 tdc with rotor pointing at the # 1 cylinder,It been a long time ,how does one find tdc,ect. THX

I tryed to install it in the postion from witch it was removed but it just cranked over with out firing up...
Old 11-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: DISTRIBUTER INSTALL

It doesn't matter where the rotor points, as long as the rotor button clearly points close to a plug point on the cap, and the #1 plug goes to that point on the cap, and the firing order is kept in order after that. But most install the dizzy so that the rotor button points towards the #1 cylinder (and that plug point on the cap) when the motor is set at #1 TDC. Remember that the rotor will turn about 1/8th a turn when the distributor is installed, so point the rotor button about 1/8th of a turn away from the point you want the button to point towards, and watch it turn into place when you wiggle the distributor into place. (I just don't remember if the rotor turns clockwise or counterclockwise when you install the distributor - so it may take you a few stabs at it) Then, you should have plenty of room available for timing adjustment to get it right.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:26 PM
J91
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Z28,64ImpalaSS4094spd,67 Galaxy
Engine: Dart 415Profiler hd,cmprlrs,Hlly750
Transmission: Built 700R4, 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 3:89 Moser 9"

Check the timing mark on the balancer, get it @ zero , rotor should be pointing at # 1 on Dist Cap. If not, it is 180 out turnover again, should be pointing at one now w/ balancer lined up on zero. Pull the old one, make a mark on firewall where rotor is pointing. Line up new rotor on that mark and drop in!
It turns clockwise...
Old 11-10-2009, 04:31 PM

Car: 89 TTA

yea, I just pulled it out and have no idea where it was pointing..ugh..
Old 11-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Like I said - no matter where it was pointing - as long as motor is set at TDC #1 cylinder, it can point whereever you like - as long as that plug wire goes to #1 cylinder and the firing order around the cap is correct.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1996 Vette / 1992 GSX1100F Suzuki
Engine: 1996 Corvette Coupe 388 LT1 (+.060)
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.07

I'll try to make this simple but I also want to make it detailed enough to REALLY help.

In order for the engine to start and run it needs several things, one of which is some amount of ignition timing advance. If your 89 is L98 TPI the stock ignition setting is 6 degrees BTDC. But anything between about 4 and 12 degrees BTDC will allow the engine to start and run.

To correcltly install the distributor you must first make sure the #1 piston is on the COMPRESSION STROKE -

To determined if #1 piston is on the COMPRESSION STROKE the easiest ways are to remove the #1 spark plug and place your finger over the spark plug hole while someone bumps the engine over. When you feel PRESSURE, STOP THE BUMPING.

Or, if your're alone, twist a piece of paper towel and insert it - PARTIALLY - into the #1 spark plug hole. When you bump the engine over and it pops out, #1's on the COMPRESSION STROKE.

BUMP SLOWLY SO YOU CAN STOP BUMPING QUICKLY.

Now look down at the timing tab and harmonic damper and see if the TDC mark on the damper is between 4 and 12 degrees BTDC. Anywhere in that range will give the engine the timing advance it needs to easily start. If it isn't you can try manually turning the engine (socket/ratchet) or bumping all the way back around again until the TDC mark falls within the 4-12 degree range. It may take a few times to nail the stopping point.

Now that 4-12 degree range isn't etched in stone, it can be tweaked a little one way or another. Problem is if you go too far one way or another the engine will either back-fire or crank extremely slowly. Shoot for 4-12 and you'll be okay.

I'm going to assume that all the spark plug wires have been CORRECTLY routed and that none are crossed.

Now all you need to do is identify the #1 spark plug wire where it's connected to the distributor cap and identify where the rotor is pointed. Drop in the distributor while turing the rotor until the tip of the rotor is pointing at the #1 spark plug wire terminal on the distributor.

However, the distributor may not drop all the way down; this is normal. Why? Because the oil pump drive rod and the distributor aren't properly indexed - one won't fit inside the other.

There are two ways to correct this:

#1 With the rotor pointing at the #1 spark plug terminal on the distributor cap, apply gentle downward pressure on the distributor. Have someone slowly bump the engine over; at some point the distributor and oil pump rod will align and the distributor will - magically - drop all the way down. Don't worry that the rotor has turn as your helper bumped the engine, it's supposed to since the distributor gear has indexed itself with the camshaft gear.

Lock down the distributor and the engine should fire and you can set the final timing with a timing light. If your engine is a ECM controlled L98, you'll need to disconnect the EST connector before setting the base timing, which, as I wrote before is 6 degrees BTDC.

The second way, which is more difficult, is to use a long screwdriver to turn the oil pump drive rod. Remove the distributor and insert the screwdriver in the hole in the manifold. Index the screwdriver with the oil pump rod and turn the rod. Turn the rod until it reaches a position that'll allow the distributor to drop all the way flush with the intake. This procedure calls for inserting, then removing, then re-inserting the distributor how ever many times it takes to align the oil pump rod and the distributor shaft. That's why I listed it as the second way.

Remember, when using the 2nd method, once the distributor has dropped all the way down to be flush with the intake the ROTOR MUST STILL BE POINTED AT THE #1
TERMINAL.

When using the first method, the rotor could be pointed in ANY DIRECTION, determined on how much bumping was needed to allow the distributor to drop down.

Hope I made this easy to understand and that it helps.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!

Last edited by JakeJr; 11-12-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 2.73

old post but great detail, will definitely be using this tomorrow