Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

low oil pressure, bearing and clearance info/ how to help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
low oil pressure, bearing and clearance info/ how to help?

hi i have a 350 i put in my camaro and it starts up and the oil psi is around 40 and slowly drops to about 10 or 5ish i was going to do an oil pump first and hope that was it

i bought the motor from a freind who said he rebuilt it but i am not sure what exactly he did, it runs fine just low pressure if i rev it up the pressure comes back up and moves with the rpms good its around 20-40 depending on the rpm but any ways worse case if its not the oil pump, how would i go about checking bearings and clearnaces i would like to do it my self and i am vary mechanicly enclined i just never did bearings or clearances befor can any one help me out and explain how to check them and how to adjust them to the right spec??

oh also, what should i look for to see if the pump is bad?? ( hopfully it is)
Old 12-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: low oil pressure, bearing and clearance info/ how to help?

Just replacing the oil pump may not help you. You might be able to compensate for sloppy bearings with a high volume/pressure pump.... but, that really isn't suggested practice. (but would work for a while)

To check rod/mainbearing clearances.... you would have to pull the pan, which you seem to be going to do anyway.... pull the bearing caps, put some plastigage in there, torque em back down, take 'em off, and then read the plastigage. (thats basically it.... clean bearing surfaces are important, and not sure if it would work with the engine installed..... don't know if you have to have it upside down on the stand for it to be completely accurate... someone else may know that.) Cam bearing are a whole nother animal though...

Basically, 10 psi per 1000 RPM is a good rule of thumb, probably topping out at 60-80, depending on mileage on the motor, and type of oil pump.