Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Really nasty horrible noise when engine started!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 Camaro RS 305 TBI
Engine: L03 305ci (5 litre) TBI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Standard
Really nasty horrible noise when engine started!

Hey, so my car has been off the road this last week on axle stands due to the new so called "saver bearings" i fitted just the other month are leaking axle oil from the seals.

Today I thought I'd start it up after checking a few fluid levels (which included topping off the brake fluid). But as I turned the key and it 'started' it made the most awful noise...hard to describe but it deffinatly wasn't like a engine! I immediatly shut it off.

I'm not that hot on engines but it didn't sound like anything inside the engine, the car has been running ok recently, after having to change the ICM after it kept stalling and not starting but since I changed that I've had no real issues with the engine.

If I had to describe it I'd say it was kinda like the noise you get when you try and start the car when it's already running...only louder!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Iroc convertible
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Really nasty horrible noise when engine started!

Is the starter staying engaged?..
Old 02-07-2010, 08:36 AM

Car: '92 Camaro RS 305 TBI
Engine: L03 305ci (5 litre) TBI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Standard

I guess it's possible, the thought crossed my mind just as I typed the bit about it sounding like when you start a car thats already running.

I have had issues with the starter ever since I bought the car, it hardly ever starts first time...you just get a clunk and it'll take 3 or 4 turns of the key till it starts. Usually better when cold though.

It's gave me no troubles for almost a year and now they're all coming at once! might need to get a daily driver if it keeps letting me down.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:35 AM

Car: 85 T/A
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R

I'd say it is the starter, you should also get a shim kit for it, My 85 T/A needed 1 shim on the starter
Old 02-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get a new starter, would be my first suggestion.

I know the "click, click, click, click, VROOM!" situation all too well. Last 5 years I've run into 2 staters with the spur gear machined incorrectly (having NEVER run into it ever before that!). It doesn't want to slide into smooth engagement with the ring gear and just clicks when you turn the key. It hits tooth-to-tooth and doesn't engage, which keeps power from being sent to the starter motor to start turning. Sometimes just once or twice, sometimes you can click it on and off a hundred times before it engages. Likewise, it's usually worse when the engine is warm.

Never had it STAY engaged after the motor fired up, but I can imagine something like that is possible. If the teeth STAY engaged on the ring gear the starter will continue to try to turn, regardless of what you do with the key.