Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

couple problems but mainly idleling rough

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
couple problems but mainly idleling rough

ok i got a few things but my major problem is the idle and starting has become a problem. when i start the car she wont start and i have to like give it some gas to get it started. and her idle is pretty sparatic it can be all the way at 2500 rpms down to like 500. also shes running really rich. the guy next door whos a mechanic says by the look of it the tps is turned way to much and needs to be adjusted. he said the tps looks new its just not adjusted right. could this cause all these problems. he said it may be causing all the problems cus if its out of wack then everything might be messed up. so 2 morrow im going to see if this guy at the shop i got to can adjust it for me.

also the kid before me put in 17lb injectors in and his dad put like a mild cam i believe. its a 2.8 V6 and i feel maybe i should go back to the stock 15lb injectors? opinions?

oh and incase someones gunna ask im pretty sure the injectors are pretty new. maybe clogging may be a problem but i have to put injector cleaning once my gas runs out.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro Rs.R
Transmission: wc t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: couple problems but mainly idleling rough

tps is most of the problem, mabie not all of it, but most of it, it moniters the position of your throttle , if its getting the wrong reading, the computer is gona send out the wrong signals to the rest of the car
Old 03-10-2010, 07:26 AM

Ok now by any chance can the tps cause low oil pressure? When at idle the little lamp that has a drip coming out of it lol goes like right before the red. When driving it goes up to 40. When first starting in the morning it'll go past 40 and once I'm down the road it'll come to 40 and then obv right before the red at idle? I was affraid I had a bad bearing or something but I'm not sure if I hear any ticking. And I've had to shops that had looked at her idling issue and they never said anything about hearing a ticking.

Here's an exact list of my problems.

- oil pressure goes right above red when at idle (pretty sure that's not normal?)
- car has rough idle. Fluctuates alot. When started can go all the way to 2500 and as low as 500.
- car has trouble starting. Starts right up in the morning but the rest of the day it has to turn over a couple times and I gotta give it gas.
- I was told by one of the shops that the car is running really rich.
- other then those when driving she runs perfectly fine.

Are these just some bad sensors? Like the MAF, MAP, TPS?

Or does this seem much worse?

So far I've been told the tps needs to be reset. If you look at it you know it's deff set wrong. Also I was told the computer had to relearn everything when the battery got completly unplugged at the body shop. And since the tps was set wrong and I put new plugs and wires in everything is still out of wack. But I also never mentioned the low oil pressure cus I never noticed it. Am I destined for a huge bill? Or some
easy fixes?

Last edited by Xx89CamaroRSxX; 03-10-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:19 AM

If I'm correct the oil pump runs off the engine so could it be possible that the low idleling cause low oil pressure? Because as soon as I give it some gas the oil pressure goes back up. So if it was a bad bearings or something wouldn't that not happen?
Old 03-10-2010, 12:16 PM

28 views and know help??? :/
Old 03-10-2010, 09:33 PM

Car: 87 trans am
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt posi 3:27

is your tbi or tpi? your oil pressure should come off the back of the block right behind the intake kind of on the drivers side. i have a mechanical aftermarket pressure gauge in mine. it always goes down to like 15 psi when i sit at idle around 750 800 rpms. and yes it goes up to around 50 or 60 when im driving higher if i stomp on the peddle. as for rough idle could be your sensor like your buddy said. running rich is obviously to much fuel pressure. i would change back to stock injectors what ever psi that is also check your o2 sensor that could be bad as well. good luck getting off though my first bird i had to have on a lift and a socket with a breaker bar and i had to put a 3 foot jack handle on it and hang on it for a while before it finally came out.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:36 AM

I know it's Multi port fuel injected. So tpi? I don't know much about fuel injected systems. So that must mean as long as gauge is somewhat correct the oil pressure is normal? I hope so don't want bad bearings or anything. Read some posts and got a little nervous. As far as sensors I know the tps has to be readjusted. That'll be done 2 morrow. Also I'm gunna test the maf sensor too. And as far as the o2 sensor how can I test that? I'll look it up on google but figure I'd ask anyways. I had to change the o2 on a tracer I had but it was pulling a code. The camaro however isn't but I'll check it anyways. I have like 4 months before emissions and don't want to fail.

Also thanks alot for your help I really appreciate it. For a second I didn't think anyone else was going to help me.