Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Almost no power, Running Rich, Intermittent Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost no power, Running Rich, Intermittent Stalling

1991 Firebird 3.1 V6 138,xxx miles

Replaced ECU, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter within past 2 weeks

Replaced Distributor Cap, Plugs, Wires, Air Filter, Vacuum Lines within past year

I took my car to the mechanic about a month ago to get brake work, struts, and the steering column tightened. At this point, the car had been sitting for about 4 months and ran fine before taking it to the garage. When I picked up the car it seemed to be running fine until I got it home and tried starting it an hour later. The car would turn over and run for about 2 seconds and then sputter and stall. If I let the car sit for another hour it would start up and run fine. The next day I decided to take it out to the highway and open it up a little and see if there were any other problems. Low and behold, I pushed the throttle down and got the engine up to about 4k rpms and it would shut down to idle and then back up to 4k again and then back down to idle.

We took the car back to the garage and asked them to look over the work they did on the column to see if anything was wrong with the wiring and they said there was not, however I'm not even sure they took a look at the column at all . After two weeks of swapping out computers, fuel pumps, fuel filters, and ignition modules, they could not fix the issue. I brought the car back to my house, and now it starts fine, but seems to be running rich with very low power and a ton of white smoke coming out of the exhaust and out from under the hood.

If anybody has any ideas on where I should start, it would be greatly appreciated. Don't hesitate to ask me about any other specifics of the car.