Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

3rd Gen Newbie, Just got an '88 Formula, looking for some help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen Newbie, Just got an '88 Formula, looking for some help...

We just bought a pretty decent '88 Firebird Formula as something to fix up and play around with.

It's a 305 with TBI and currently it won't start and I was hoping you guys could give me some insight on what to try first.

The car turns over and sounds pretty strong. The fuel pump does come on and the coil is igniting, but I can't see any fuel spraying from the injectors and I couldn't tell if it's getting spark to the plugs.

I was kinda hoping you guys could list off some things I should try first to get this thing going. Obviously it's probably due for new plugs and wires but what else should I be looking at replacing?

We've got other issues too like the power door lock buttons not working, hatch button not working, blower fan, radio, headlights not coming up, but for now, I'd like to just get it started and be able to make sure it drives okay.

I've always wanted a 3rd gen 'Bird and hopefully it'll be a lot of fun.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:29 AM

Re: 3rd Gen Newbie, Just got an '88 Formula, looking for some help...

Here's a quick pic too
Old 07-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Have you tried unplugging and reconnecting the wires to the fuel injectors?

Also, there's a way to ohm them with a digital volt/ohm meter, they need to be within spec, but I don't know what the numbers are.

Might try removing them and see if they can be cleaned up - I'm not sure but I think you can just soak them in fresh gasoline for a day to help clean the out. If the car has sat for any length of time, gas might have gummed up in the injectors. If this helps, might want to siphon out what's left in the tank as best as you can and put in fresh gas.

Try replacing the fuel filter as well - it's under car, driver side, just in front of rear wheel.

Does the key have a pellet or chip in it (a VATS key)? If so, maybe the VATS is malfunctioning - let us know about that key and we'll go from there.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by camaronewbie
Have you tried unplugging and reconnecting the wires to the fuel injectors?

Also, there's a way to ohm them with a digital volt/ohm meter, they need to be within spec, but I don't know what the numbers are.

Might try removing them and see if they can be cleaned up - I'm not sure but I think you can just soak them in fresh gasoline for a day to help clean the out. If the car has sat for any length of time, gas might have gummed up in the injectors. If this helps, might want to siphon out what's left in the tank as best as you can and put in fresh gas.

Try replacing the fuel filter as well - it's under car, driver side, just in front of rear wheel.

Does the key have a pellet or chip in it (a VATS key)? If so, maybe the VATS is malfunctioning - let us know about that key and we'll go from there.

No haven't tried anything yet. Haven't had much time and don't have any of my tools over with the car. I planned on spending time this weekend on it though.

No the key doesn't have any type of chip in it at all. Did they use the VATS system all the way back in '88?
Old 07-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Supreme Member

VATS was introduced in 1989, but there may be some late year 1988 cars with it, I've seen a few folks post up about VATS and their sigs stated 1988 cars, so it was a possibility I suppose, and thus I thought I'd ask.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:38 PM

VATS was introduced in 1989, but there may be some late year 1988 cars with it, I've seen a few folks post up about VATS and their sigs stated 1988 cars, so it was a possibility I suppose, and thus I thought I'd ask.

Ah I see. No, no chip on the key at all. Car seems pretty factory from what I can tell so I don't think anyone would've bypassed the VATS system and not ever modded anything else.

Guy we bought it from said he thinks the fuel pump went out since it just wouldn't start for him one day, but I can hear the pump come on when I climb under the car and have someone turn the key.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:27 PM

Car: 1988 camaro
Engine: cammed 3.1
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42

Did you try spraying starter fluid in the throttle body to see if it turns over? Maybe your fuel gauge is showing it has fuel and it's possibly empty? My camaro currently has that problem, was driving around my neighborhood and 5 miles away car ran out of gas and it showed half a tank on the gauge.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by firebird904
Did you try spraying starter fluid in the throttle body to see if it turns over? Maybe your fuel gauge is showing it has fuel and it's possibly empty? My camaro currently has that problem, was driving around my neighborhood and 5 miles away car ran out of gas and it showed half a tank on the gauge.

I'll try some starter fluid today and see if it'll crank up, but it's still not getting any fuel from the injectors so its not gonna run.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:18 PM

Tried some starter fluid today. Never cranked over, but it did backfire through the throttle body and shot some flames up LOL

Still not getting any fuel from the injectors. How's a good way to check the fuel pressure at the throttle body? Didn't see a test port anywhere.

Also checked the plug wires for spark. They seemed to be firing a little weak IMO...

Anyways, I'm really wanting to get this thing running soon. Hopefully some more guys can chime in with things I can check.

Like, maybe the computer or something?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:27 PM

Car: 1982 z28
Engine: 400
Axle/Gears: 3:23

wow just wanted to chime in real quick that thing is beautiful man NICE find i have yet to own a formula.....it will happen ...love the car man!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Supreme Member

My next step would be fuel filter - it's located under car, driver side, just in front of the rear wheel. Get a can of PB Blaster and soak the connectors for an hour, then use flare ended wrenches if you can get them and make sure you hold the filter connector with one wrench while you try to loosen the line connector with other.

TBI cars have no valve to test fuel pressure like the TPI cars do, you'll have to get a simple fuel pressure guage from auto parts store and cut the rubber line and install inline with a T connector and hose clamps. You want a 0-30 psi or higher guage, if I remember TBI fuel pressure is in the low 20's? (Maybe do a search to verify, it's been awhile).
Old 07-30-2010, 11:42 AM

My next step would be fuel filter - it's located under car, driver side, just in front of the rear wheel. Get a can of PB Blaster and soak the connectors for an hour, then use flare ended wrenches if you can get them and make sure you hold the filter connector with one wrench while you try to loosen the line connector with other.

TBI cars have no valve to test fuel pressure like the TPI cars do, you'll have to get a simple fuel pressure guage from auto parts store and cut the rubber line and install inline with a T connector and hose clamps. You want a 0-30 psi or higher guage, if I remember TBI fuel pressure is in the low 20's? (Maybe do a search to verify, it's been awhile).
The filter looks newer but it's probably worth swapping it out anyways, they aren't too much money.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:48 PM

Car: 1988 camaro
Engine: cammed 3.1
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42

The backfire through the intake could be that the timing is off... As for it not getting any fuel did you check to see if there was any gas or if maybe it smells old? You could try pulling the fuel lines off the throttle body and put em into a bottle and turn the ignition switch to on, if nothing comes out you could possibly have a clogged line or the one that hooks to the fuel pump in the tank could be broken.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 GTA Trans Am
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 9-Bolt 3.27

Originally Posted by firebird904
The backfire through the intake could be that the timing is off... As for it not getting any fuel did you check to see if there was any gas or if maybe it smells old? You could try pulling the fuel lines off the throttle body and put em into a bottle and turn the ignition switch to on, if nothing comes out you could possibly have a clogged line or the one that hooks to the fuel pump in the tank could be broken.
I was just about to say timing. To your knowledge has the distributor ever been pulled?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by hydrolic144
I was just about to say timing. To your knowledge has the distributor ever been pulled?

I'm sure it has. The engine block is painted yellow so the motor has definately been out of the car before. Not sure if the distributor has been taken out recently, as in, after the car quit running.

As far as we've been told, it was running and driving and then just quit one day.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:50 PM

Car: 1991 Black Z28 G92
Engine: 350 for now
Transmission: wc t5
Axle/Gears: factory 3:42

If it's back firing like that i'ed check the timing. And my car sat for atleast 3 yrs and I had the turn over but no start problem and I cleaned the injectors and pumped out all of the gas and put new gas in it and she fire right up.
And according to haynes the fuel injector resistance on a tbi car should be 1.0-2.0 ohms and the fuel pressure should be 9-13 psi