Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Just Bought My 1st Camaro. HELP! Lol

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Bought My 1st Camaro. HELP! Lol

Please i need some help on the start up with my Camaro. I just bought an amazing 92 R/S Purple Haze Heritage Edition Camaro with 108k all original. Its a very nice car and it really suits me. Now to my minor concern when I turn the key it makes the starting sound but it will not start also i do not want to hold it to long in fear of burning the starter out. I then pause for a moment backing off the key, Then when i turn it a second time it starts right up after i hold it for a bare minimum of a few seconds. Is this a problem or is everyone's Camaro like this. Thanks for the help
Old 10-13-2010, 10:28 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro
Engine: 350 but it's torn down right now.
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: I'm working on it,lol.
Re: Just Bought My 1st Camaro. HELP! Lol

Hi there, and welcome to the world of third gen camaro's. First off, how long are you holding the key to try to start it at first? If you're holding it for like 10-20 seconds and it isn't starting, then you might want to change the fuel filter and give the car a good tune-up. It'll start easier and as an added benefit you'll probably see an improvement in gas mileage as well as performance. Have a good one my friend
Old 10-13-2010, 10:44 PM

Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 2.8L

try giving it gas the next time you go to start it up. if it fires right up your fuel pump may be going bad
Old 10-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Originally Posted by Kalibar12
try giving it gas the next time you go to start it up. if it fires right up your fuel pump may be going bad
Fuel pump either works or it doesn't - giving it gas with the pedal won't actually provide any gas to the injectors if the pump has not pumped any up to them - on a fuel inj car you never touch the gas pedal to start the car.

Turn your key to ON (not to start) and listen for the fuel pump to prime - you'll hear it run for 2 seconds then stop - if it does not prime, then you need to replace the fuel pump relay.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:31 AM

I have the same damn problem and I also just got my first camaro in august (91 z28 305 auto) but i burned out the starter i replaced it but now the damn thing will hesitate then cut off on me after driving it for a while. It will start right back up after shutting off but when i touch the gas pedal it just shuts off and wont move again unless I turn it off and let it sit for a day and after I do it starts up with no hesitation at all but the more you start it the harder it is to start damn thing puzzles me but I agree it might be better after a tune up
Old 10-14-2010, 06:20 PM

Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 2.8L

Originally Posted by camaronewbie
Fuel pump either works or it doesn't - giving it gas with the pedal won't actually provide any gas to the injectors if the pump has not pumped any up to them - on a fuel inj car you never touch the gas pedal to start the car.

Turn your key to ON (not to start) and listen for the fuel pump to prime - you'll hear it run for 2 seconds then stop - if it does not prime, then you need to replace the fuel pump relay.
im sorry, but thats bs. and by your logic the OP shouldnt need to check to see if the fuel pump is priming.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro
Engine: 350 but it's torn down right now.
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: I'm working on it,lol.

Hurdleman - you might want to look at your fuel pressure regulator if you're running TPI. If your fuel pressure tests fine, then I would recommend you get your ignition module checked at the local autoparts store. It may have a crack that opens more the hotter the motor gets, causing your stall and no start condition. Once the motor cools down, the crack shrinks and you have spark again. Another way to check that is to check for spark the next time it happens to you. I sincerely hope that helps you out. Enjoy your ride my friend
Old 10-18-2010, 09:23 AM

Thats actually very helpful thanks I'll get that checked this week