Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Random SES Light + popping sounds Help?

Old 11-12-2010, 02:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 Iroc-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4
Random SES Light + popping sounds Help?

91 Camaro RS 305 TBI

Recently when i start the car it idles at about 1500 RPM (warm) and u can hear faint popping sounds coming from the exhaust.

I had my car fixed earlier this month with a new fuel pump and the timing was adjusted, does this have anything to do with the timing?

The car drives fine and all... doesn't stall or anything anymore but i don't think its normal to have the popping sounds..Sometimes the SES light comes on in the first 5 mins of driving then goes away.

I checked the computer for codes and it gave me a code 22.
Which points towards the TPS adjustment (TPS is new) or Bad ECM

Can anyone give me a noob explanation on how to adjust the TPS? I bought a multimeter a few weeks ago and started poking around there and just had random readings..What should my multimeter be set to read? and what exactly should i check?

Im pretty sure the TPS is unadjusted because when i was troubleshooting my car a while back i did turn the little tps **** a bit so i might have messed something up, im not sure.

Thanks for reading, any help appreciated.