Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

87 camaro V6 runs good cold but once warm runs really bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
87 camaro V6 runs good cold but once warm runs really bad

Hey so I have an 87 camaro with a brand new V6 it has 8k miles on it. When I start it cold it runs good will rev up quick and smooth but once it gets warm it revs slow and rough it blows an extremely small amount of blue smoke when first started and that's it. Does anyone have any ideas on what woulld cause my car to have no power once it warms up? Oh and when its warm it also idols extremely low. Also the car sat for about 2 years I was thinking maybe fuel injectors???
Old 12-07-2010, 12:47 AM

Re: 87 camaro V6 runs good cold but once warm runs really bad

Here is one of my fuel injectors I pulled out it was sorta broke so would this be the entire problem?
Old 12-07-2010, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: camaro iroc-z
Engine: 5.0

got the same problem with my 86 firebird its got a 2.8. in the cold starts up great and has decent power but in the summer it takes forever to start and is the most gutless piece of crap around..... looks good tho. and mine was sitting for probably about 8 years and was poorly stored at that, so your not alone. try fuel injection cleaner...... i put it in mine and it ran great but as soon as that tank was empty it went back to its old ways but might work better for you.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:13 AM

Well I know the fuel injector in the pic is broke the shiny spot close to the end is where the like end cap thing broke off does that end cap do anything to make them spray right? And I did try fuel injecor cleaner at one point it got a little better then I accidently almost ran out of gas it ran really bad then put more gas in it and it kept running extremely bad to the point u couldn't drive it around town. Also I was told it could be bad gas and I've heard of people hooking 12v up to somewhere and having it turn on the fuel pump. Does anyone know how to do that so I can pull all the gas outta my tank with out pulling the tank?
Old 12-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

the piece of plastic that is broken on the bottom is the pintle cap. It holds the oring and spacer in place. It should not interfere with the spray pattern unless a piece is occluding an orifice. If the car sat for a long time I doubt if the fuel injector cleaner is going to help...if it does it will be temporary. Whatever "gunk" or debris that is in your fuel system will ultimately flush right into the filters/screens in the fuel injectors. My suggestion would be to clean out your entire fuel system, change your fuel filter, and have your injectors professionally cleaned and flowtested or just replace them.
If we can help you in any way please do not hesitate to contact us.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by southbay08
the piece of plastic that is broken on the bottom is the pintle cap. It holds the oring and spacer in place. It should not interfere with the spray pattern unless a piece is occluding an orifice. If the car sat for a long time I doubt if the fuel injector cleaner is going to help...if it does it will be temporary. Whatever "gunk" or debris that is in your fuel system will ultimately flush right into the filters/screens in the fuel injectors. My suggestion would be to clean out your entire fuel system, change your fuel filter, and have your injectors professionally cleaned and flowtested or just replace them.
If we can help you in any way please do not hesitate to contact us.
How long does it take to get the fuel injectors back once you guys receive them? And what would be your best suggestion on how to clean out my fuel system best?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

We provide 24hr turnaround with our flowtesting service. You need to clean out your fuel tank, change your fuel filter, blow out the lines and the fuel rail, get your injectors cleaned and flowtested by a reputable company.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86' IROC-Z....and 5 other 3rdgens
Engine: 383 hsr
Transmission: built 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock 3.23, 10bolt

do you have a check engine light on at all?
Old 12-11-2010, 02:12 AM

No check engine light on at all. I've pulled my fuel injectors and sent them to southbay fuel injectors today and ill be pumping all the gas outta my tank and flushing the system and see if it helps when ever I get my fuel injectors back. Is there anything else that could cause this that I should look at or test while I got it taken apart?