Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

How full is the oil pan when filled? LB9

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
How full is the oil pan when filled? LB9

Odd question I know. My oil level is full on the dipstick, it's at the top of the thatch markings.

I made a mistake installing my new oil pan and 1 piece GM gasket. I did not seat the rear of the gasket correctly and it's dripping a tiny bit.

I need to be able to loosen all of the oil pan bolts progressively out farther towards the rear of the oil pan so I can hook onto the gasket and pull it out to it's correct spot. It's going to be though with the flex plate right there.

Anyway, I am wondering if I am going to have to drain any oil out of the pan first? When the oil level is full, does it go up past the oil pan gasket?

Thanks! Alex
Old 12-12-2010, 12:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: White 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI LB9, 215 HP
Transmission: Borg-Warner T5 NWC
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 7.75 with 3.27 ratio
Re: How full is the oil pan when filled? LB9

Originally Posted by 92GTA
Odd question I know. My oil level is full on the dipstick, it's at the top of the thatch markings.

I made a mistake installing my new oil pan and 1 piece GM gasket. I did not seat the rear of the gasket correctly and it's dripping a tiny bit.

I need to be able to loosen all of the oil pan bolts progressively out farther towards the rear of the oil pan so I can hook onto the gasket and pull it out to it's correct spot. It's going to be though with the flex plate right there.

Anyway, I am wondering if I am going to have to drain any oil out of the pan first? When the oil level is full, does it go up past the oil pan gasket?

Thanks! Alex
Hello 92GTA!!

Drain the oil, if it's relatively new oil, drain it into a clean container, and reuse it, pour it back into the engine through a paint filter after the job is done!!

The job will be easier, and cleaner with the oil pan empty!!